FORUMS: list search recent posts

MacBook and FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marco Bortignon
MacBook and FCPX
on Feb 17, 2016 at 5:02:41 pm

Hi all,

I am in need to buy a laptop and it can only be a Mac of course.. ;)
I don't have the money to get the MCB 15" unfortunately so I am looking at the smaller ones..

Are the following worth considering options?
• 12-inch MacBook 512GB- 1.2GHz dual-core -Turbo Boost up to 2.6GHz-8GB memory-Intel HD Graphics 5300
• 13-inch MacBook Air -2.2GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz Intel HD Graphics 6000-8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM

Or should I just go for the MBP 13"? In this case, which configuration is the minimum acceptable?

I do a lot of Photo and Video Editing (Lightroom+Photoshop+FCPX)..I will have to work occasionally with 4K videos and of course it will have to be via proxy..

I know, I want the moon but can't afford the rocket to get there.. :(

I hope to hear from real life experiences with these babies..

Thanks for any advice

Marco

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: MacBook and FCPX
on Feb 17, 2016 at 7:29:43 pm

FWIW.

- RK

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 17, 2016 at 7:52:20 pm

Not that it isn't impressive (it is even so), but was he exporting to ProRes or H.264? Because if he's exporting to ProRes, I really doubt he's uploading 4K ProRes to YouTube, and the H.264 encode out of FCPX should take longer than the times that video showed.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Feb 17, 2016 at 7:56:14 pm

He states in very clear detail what he did.

- RK

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 17, 2016 at 8:33:20 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Feb 17, 2016 at 8:34:13 pm

I'd go for a refurb MacBook Pro instead. Most of they will run circles around current MacBooks and MacBook Airs. Aim for the best GPU you can afford.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP Exchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Marco Bortignon
on Feb 17, 2016 at 8:42:18 pm

Tsk Noah,

It's actually an option I am considering..

Marco

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 18, 2016 at 11:49:18 am

[Robin S. Kurz] "He states in very clear detail what he did."

Okay, so what exactly is he exporting from the timeline to? ProRes 4K, right?

Return to posts index

Marco Bortignon
on Feb 17, 2016 at 8:44:10 pm

This video is what had me wondering about the "little machines".. ;)

Marco

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 17, 2016 at 9:51:50 pm

You can try them at an Apple Store- it's basically pay less now and suffer through slow exports and renders or pay more now and suffer less through slow exports and renders. If it's fun stuff- I guess the former is better. If it's for paid work, you're better off with the latter.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow

Return to posts index

Marco Bortignon
on Feb 17, 2016 at 10:03:26 pm

It totally make sense of course, my typical workflow would allow me to sacrifice rendering/exporting time as I typically use very little effects/transitions/etc and can afford to let the computer render and than export at the very end of the project...

But, would the little ones offer some fluid editing when using proxies on 15 -20 minutes projects?

If I only had a decent budget.. but can't sell the iMac to go fully portable yet... ;)

Thank you for your time Noah.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 17, 2016 at 10:18:20 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Feb 17, 2016 at 10:18:51 pm

ProRes is a very efficient format that runs well on even the slowest MacBook. However, most footage you encounter today is GoPros, camera phones in AVCHD, H.264 etc which requires a ton of graphics and CPU processing to create transitions/effects/renders etc. That's where you'll feel the pain.

So again it's a question of how much time you have at crunch time, the complexity of the timelines and the source codecs. Proxies can take forever to create as well from long H.264 takes etc and laptops generally have the worst price to performance ratio. You really need to spend more to get decent performance.

So if I were strapped for cash now I would probably avoid a laptop unless a job truly called for it.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow

Return to posts index

Marco Bortignon
on Feb 18, 2016 at 12:03:48 am

I' M more and more convinced that refurbished is the way to go!

Thank you so much Noah for clarifying my doubts!

Marco

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 18, 2016 at 1:25:21 am

If you have an Apple Store near you most of them have FCPX installed on every machine in the room- you can always try them out for yourself.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 18, 2016 at 2:41:18 pm

I've done that and was quite amazed at the performance of the little machines. If it's your main machine, I'd max it out. But if you're just looking for a field computer, then pick what suits your style. I do know that you get more spec for the same price for a bottom barrel MacBookPro vs a MacBook. It even has a bigger screen, better processor, and better and better ports. It's just not as thin and pretty. I had to help a family member get one for Xmas and as sexy as the MacBook was, I just couldn't find any advantage over the MacBook Pro at same price.

Return to posts index

Marco Bortignon
on Feb 18, 2016 at 3:02:14 pm

That is the kind of thoughts I had.. but was really intrigued by the sexiness of the MacBook, and hoped it could work..

Tks

Return to posts index

Marco Bortignon
on Feb 18, 2016 at 3:04:50 pm

That is my problem, no Apple Store nearby nor anybody who could lend one to try.. I need to rely on forums! ;)

Tks

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 18, 2016 at 11:51:27 am
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Feb 18, 2016 at 11:51:51 am

[Noah Kadner] "So again it's a question of how much time you have at crunch time, the complexity of the timelines and the source codecs. Proxies can take forever to create as well from long H.264 takes etc and laptops generally have the worst price to performance ratio. You really need to spend more to get decent performance. "

Absolutely right. I can edit 4K well enough on my MacBook Pro 15" from 2013 (which I purchased with all the specs maxed), but I've had some quick turnaround projects in which I had to wait an inordinately long amount of time in order to render out. I'll be upgrading to the Skylake refresh whenever that's available, and hopefully a desktop variety at some point to help with those render times.

It's not bad until you start adding effects, but I'm almost always adding effects and using plugins.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Feb 18, 2016 at 12:38:48 pm

[Marco Bortignon] "I will have to work occasionally with 4K videos and of course it will have to be via proxy.."

There is another option besides proxy. If your final delivery is 1080p, you can import 4k into a 1080p project. Editing and applying effects will be a lot faster, render and temp files will be a lot smaller, and FCPX is smart enough to use the underlying 4k resolution if you zoom into the frame. I turn off background rendering when I do this, and I can't see any visual difference between a 1080p export using 4k material in a 4k project vs a 1080p project.

Obviously if final delivery is 4k then you'll need to use a 4k project, and using proxy mode is a good way for a laptop to deal with this.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]