FORUMS: list search recent posts

Force relink

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Force relink
on Feb 17, 2016 at 1:00:38 am

It would really, really, really be nice if a "force relink" feature were added so that mismatched media files could be relinked. Dare I say... just like in FCP7. Right now FCPX is just as bad as Media Composer in that regard.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Force relink
on Feb 17, 2016 at 1:49:11 am

I do all relinking in Pr or Resolve depending on what I need out of the timeline.

I hope this gets better in X, too.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 17, 2016 at 7:21:11 am

It's just my opinion, but Zi've always questioned whether the same kind of rekindling is *possible* in X.

It's based on range descriptions stored in a database. What does the program do if the end address if the clip is altered by something like a signal timing shift? My clip THINKS it should have 10,000 audio samples, but the idiot driving it forced it to re-link to a copy of the same footage - but sampled at 44khz rather the original 48khz (just a maybe plausible imagining)- so there's content that's just not there. How does the database manage storing pointers to samples or frames that are just not there?

Database systems like CERTAINTY. This address will ALWAYS be this address.

I know this description is woefully imprecise and probably technically incorrect, but the IDEA that the pipe you cut for the project that needs to be 18 inches is suddenly 17 - and the system has to accommodate varying pipe lengths everywhere - well that's a mess, isn't it?

Just musing aloud.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 17, 2016 at 12:56:54 pm

All NLEs are databases. If your media is stored externally, the internal pointers merely direct the software to that external file. There's no technical reason this couldn't be done, as long as the user accepts possible errors. Obviously it gets down to whether Apple wants to add such flexiblity, given the fact that they'd get the blame for a lot of user errors.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 17, 2016 at 11:57:09 pm

[Bill Davis] "but the IDEA that the pipe you cut for the project that needs to be 18 inches is suddenly 17 - and the system has to accommodate varying pipe lengths everywhere - well that's a mess, isn't it?"

Is it? Aren't databases designed to easily track and make sense of a big mess?

Ranges are just points, and timecode is frame by frame metadata.

Walter Soyka likes to point out, "The data model is the core of an application and it defines the limits of an application's extensibility." What does that mean?

That means, in the case of FCPX, the "exposed" data model is FCPXML. You can export an FCPXML, and find a TON of information, and you can then use that XML to build/rebuild an Event, a timeline, a Library, a Project with all kinds of metadata attached to all of it.

A database tracks records or entries, and clips are nothing but an entry or record. I can change the name or add different metadata to a clip in a Project, and it has a different name/metadata in the Browser, yet FCPX can track that record and the both/more sets data attached to it as every clip has a unique ID assigned by FCPX.

In the case of FCPX, it seems like (and perhaps I am woefully wrong), just by looking at FCPXML we should be able to add new entires/records, and update a Project (point the "database" at new media/IDs, and say use "use that from this time to this time"). Similar to how I can add different metadata to an instance of the clip in the Browser or the Project, I should be able to import new records, point a Project to those records, find similar metadata (like timecode) and have the database rewrite the pointer to use that media. This leaves the original clip, metadata, Projects alone, I am only wanting to change one specific Project, not all the Projects or all the instances of the clip in the Library.

In the case of needing relinking, It would be the case of making a new Project, unlinking the video of selected clips (basically, rewriting the database pointers to "empty"), adding new records, and telling FCPX to use the audio from the original clips, and the video from the newly rendered clips.

FCPX already has this capability to read multiple atoms of a clip. If you export an FCXML of a multiclip, you will see that the data container lists every clip in the multiclip, even though I only have one angle, and perhaps only one channel of audio enabled in the Project. FCPX can already see multiple video components and multiple audio components from different clips, and display them as one clip in a timeline. Relinking a video pointer to a different piece of media should be as "simple" as literally updating the "database" entries or records.

For whatever reason, the programming (or the set of instructions) to carry out these functions are not in FCPX, and I don't know why. I am sure there is a great reason for it, or maybe there is not a great reason for it. I don't really know. I do know that by observing what the FCPX data model can already do, relinking to a different video channel should be possible, it will just take a little programming to write all the variables and account for the unforeseen. Granted, none of this easy.

I don't know if you've ever relinked anything in Resolve (like relink Proxies to full res clips, or ungraded to graded) but the easiest way to do this is to add the full res clips to the media pool first. You import a database (another word for XML/EDL/Whatever) and you can define a set of parameters for Resolve to search for and relink the media. You can tell it to ignore file extensions (so you can change .mov to .R3D, or .mxf to .mov), but look for common items between the incoming database, and the existing database, like timecode (which is extremely useful and highly accurate metadata).

You can then export the data of an FCPXML, import that into FCPX, and FCPX is pointed at all the correct media.

I routinely get graded clips from Baselight, and have to jump through a lot of hoops to get back to FCPX with the newly graded media. I have lately been using Premiere for conform (So I leave FCPX, translate the timeline, import to Pr, watch the program in Pr and fix any problems, export an XML for Baselight, receive graded media, relink to the new video, watch the program to make sure it's right, export an XML and translate to FCPXML, import and watch to make sure it's right, fix any problems and output), but would like to stop doing that as it seems like it's a crap load of unnecessary steps to go through all of that when I could simply just relink the media in FCPX on the way back (and hope that baselight hops on the FCPXML bandwagon).

Anyway, sorry if this is boring, but pointing a database to new entires should be possible, even with FCPX.

Thanks for reading,

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 18, 2016 at 12:13:15 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "I routinely get graded clips from Baselight, and have to jump through a lot of hoops to get back to FCPX with the newly graded media. ...... .......but would like to stop doing that as it seems like it's a crap load of unnecessary steps to go through all of that when I could simply just relink the media in FCPX on the way back (and hope that baselight hops on the FCPXML bandwagon)."

And none of these steps were usually needed with FCP7, which is basically what Simon has been saying.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Feb 18, 2016 at 1:03:34 am

[Jeremy Garchow] " I have lately been using Premiere for conform (So I leave FCPX, translate the timeline, import to Pr, watch the program in Pr and fix any problems, export an XML for Baselight, receive graded media, relink to the new video, watch the program to make sure it's right, export an XML and translate to FCPXML, import and watch to make sure it's right, fix any problems and output),"

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 18, 2016 at 8:59:52 pm

Ha! You're speaking my language, Shawn.

It does beg the question, why would I put up with that shit? Well, I enjoy using fcpx, and I hope this particular workflow gets easier.

Right now, it's a pain. It's fine for :30 spots, but anything longer than about 3 minutes is very tedious.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Feb 19, 2016 at 1:40:56 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Ha! You're speaking my language, Shawn.

It does beg the question, why would I put up with that shit? Well, I enjoy using fcpx, and I hope this particular workflow gets easier.

Right now, it's a pain. It's fine for :30 spots, but anything longer than about 3 minutes is very tedious."

As a long time AE user, I know exactly what you mean! I hope Apple fixes this soon. :-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 21, 2016 at 8:49:01 pm

[Shawn Miller] "As a long time AE user, I know exactly what you mean! I hope Apple fixes this soon. :-)"

After hours and hours, I think I have figured out a viable solution with DaVinci Resolve that is much better than Pr.

It's not without it's quirks, but it is much better.

Now that I have this all figured out, Apple will release some sort of update that invalidates my trials, tribulations, and subsequent victory.

Bring it on, I say.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 21, 2016 at 9:06:26 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "It's not without it's quirks, but it is much better."

Instructions please. You know, for posterity. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 21, 2016 at 9:36:23 pm

Of course we all know that relinking in FCPX is hard because the audio has to remain the same.

Baselight doesn't render audio, so relinking in FCPX, no matter what, is futile.

So:

I like to detach all audio, snapshot the timeline, export the audio as an aiff, import that aiff, and delete all the detached audio (but keep an eye on that snapshot you just made). This will bring in video and one flattened audio track to Resolve.

FCPXML to Resolve.

Deliver a project using the FCPX settings, TURN OFF AUDIO in delivery specs, Add 48 frame (or whatever) handles. Render the project to a standard codec (I'm using 444). You have to be sure to use the FCPX settings so that Resolve makes an FCPXML at the end of the render.

Import that FCPXML, and fix the shit that Resolve broke, like still frames, titles, alpha channels, whatever. Resolve renders little movies for still frames, and doesn't render alpha channels, so I simply replace them with the original media by copying and pasting form the original timeline. Very easy if you know that you have to do this. A lot of speed ramps seem to hold up, some repo does NOT hold up, I don't know. It's not super consistent.

Once it's all fixed, export that fixed timeline as FCPXML, and translate to XML.

Get the media back from Baselight and make sure they render with (whatever) handles at 444 and match the source sizes for each piece of media.

Relink in FCPX.

At this point, if you are getting an audio mix, replace that crappy mix down you made with a wonderful mixed version.

If you are dong the mixing in FCPX, or need to further tweak the audio, go to that snapshot, copy pasta the detached audio in to the graded timeline, and do what needs to be done.

Drink beer. Sing songs. Be merry.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Apr 21, 2016 at 9:44:47 pm

Excellent, and only slightly convoluted. :-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 21, 2016 at 10:01:19 pm

It's so much better to use FCPXML rather than hit XML in between.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 18, 2016 at 5:20:43 am

I enjoyed reading it very much! Thanks for taking the time to write it. I'l re-read it on the plane on Saturday to absorb more.

As to force re-linking, through entirely my own fault, at least 30% of the time I used to do it in Legacy - typically on "call-back" projects tyat required revision - I'd end up force re-linking the wrong files and royally screw myself up.

Obviously that's on ME and no one else for bad backup and file ID strategies - but it's sure nice not having to think about it anymore, and for that reason, I suspect that I'd rather just remount the source volume, blow out the old clip and import a new one to keep my database clean.

To each their own.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 18, 2016 at 6:18:27 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "timecode is frame by frame metadata."

FCP X reads TC, but doesn't use it internally. So... there are no frames in FCPX, it's just time increment cadence. So a clip isn't defined by frames, it's like this for master clips:

clip start="0s" format="ft2" duration="103376273/30000s"

and this in the timeline

<video offset="21610589/6000s" ref="g1" start="3600s" enabled="1" duration="833833/30000s"

Maybe this is part of the difficulty? I dunno. I liked being able to relink to anything, no matter how much of a mess it made. :-)

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 18, 2016 at 9:13:08 am

[Charlie Austin] "Maybe this is part of the difficulty? I dunno. I liked being able to relink to anything, no matter how much of a mess it made. :-)
"

Yes it would be nice to have the option, especially when FCPX decides that it can't relink to the file even though it's EXACTLY the same length and format!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 18, 2016 at 11:47:28 pm

[Charlie Austin] "FCP X reads TC, but doesn't use it internally. So... there are no frames in FCPX, it's just time increment cadence. So a clip isn't defined by frames, it's like this for master clips:"

So I don't know how far in to the weeds anyone wants to go in XML, but I would argue that probably all NLEs don't use "timecode" internally, and Quicktime didn't either. It does REPORT timecode, though.

Timecode is simply fractional time, and FCPX does that in spades and it is broken down to the frame.

I don't know anything about your Master Clip or timeline, but I could tell you this:

Most likely, your first clip is either 30 or 29.97 frames a second. If you look further in the XML, you'll see that format id for "ft2" and it would list something like 1080p29.97, a frame duration expressed as a fractional tc (like 1001/30000, which would equate to .0333 seconds per frame or 29.97 fps) and it would also give frame height and width. Any clip that matches those specs could also get the same "ft2" id. The duration of your clip is 1m54s26f assuming the format of the clip is indeed 29.97 ndf

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 18, 2016 at 11:55:55 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "The duration of your clip is 1m54s26f assuming the format of the clip is indeed 29.97 ndf"

I'm sure you're correct, I can "read" XML, but the timing part of it really is gibberish to me. I was just idly speculating, as I often do... :-) I'm curious as to why it doesn't/couldn't/wouldn't work too...

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 17, 2016 at 1:44:24 pm

[Oliver Peters] "It would really, really, really be nice if a "force relink" feature were added so that mismatched media files could be relinked"

Oliver -

Can you explain this a bit more? How does this situation present itself where you need to "force" the program? It's been too long since Avid was in my market for me to remember what Media Composer did or didn't do!

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Feb 17, 2016 at 2:21:39 pm

I find myself wishing for a Force Relink when I'm updating stock footage and stock music. I download the comp files, which are watermarked, then after the edit is locked and the music/footage is purchased I need to update my sequence with the unwatermarked version.

In FCPX, if there's even a 1 frame difference, it won't relink, and sometimes it just flat out refuses to link even if the files are identical in length/name. At that point there's no way to force it to relink, which means I spend a lot of time recutting my music/video. Avid's batch import worked the same way - if there is any difference in file length, it refuses to batch import, which is a real nuisance.

Premiere, on the other hand, has a Replace Footage option where you can force it to relink to any other file, and if the new file is longer it doesn't matter. If it's shorter it doesn't matter. It will still relink, and gives you a visual indication in the timeline that media that used to be there no longer is (hashmarks on the clip - it's kind of clever).

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 17, 2016 at 2:48:12 pm

This one feature is why we can't migrate our business to FCP X.

For the vast majority of the projects we work on, we need the ability to relink "temp media" to "finished masters" and with FCP X - just as with Media Composer - this is a non-starter. As you say, Premiere obviously handles this just fine with the Replace Footage option.

I realise that we have a niche requirement in this regard but it's a requirement that's fundamental to how we run our editing business.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 17, 2016 at 3:37:44 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Premiere, on the other hand, has a Replace Footage option where you can force it to relink to any other file, and if the new file is longer it doesn't matter. If it's shorter it doesn't matter."

Sounds handy, but will this also affect the in point you had on the temp image versus what you have on the final footage? Meaning, do you have to go back and check every force relink to be sure it's the in and out you wanted?

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 18, 2016 at 5:19:59 am

[Michael Hancock] "In FCPX, if there's even a 1 frame difference, it won't relink"

Sometimes, even if it's the same file! Today I opened an old FCP 7 project. It opened fine. So I exported xml, used 7toX to make it FCPXML and everything relinked except one AIFF music file. Same media that was in the legacy timeline. So I had to bring it in and redo all the cuts and audio keyframes. The clip I brought in that wouldn't relink matched the other clips specs exactly. As it should as it's the same file! Same kHz, same name, same length, same file. But NO, X says it's a different length.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 18, 2016 at 5:24:25 pm

[Bret Williams] "Sometimes, even if it's the same file! Today I opened an old FCP 7 project. It opened fine. So I exported xml, used 7toX to make it FCPXML and everything relinked except one AIFF music file. Same media that was in the legacy timeline. So I had to bring it in and redo all the cuts and audio keyframes. The clip I brought in that wouldn't relink matched the other clips specs exactly. As it should as it's the same file! Same kHz, same name, same length, same file. But NO, X says it's a different length."

Had the same experience... I feel your pain...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 17, 2016 at 7:22:26 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Oliver - Can you explain this a bit more?"

Michael and Simon pretty much answered it. I've run into problems with FCPXML roundtrips. A clip will be there, but black and no "missing clip" icon. I realize this is a problem with the FCPXML, but if you attempt to relink you get all sorts of mismatch errors that cannot be overcome. In all roundtrips using a mix of software, FCP 7 was far easier to work with than FCPX.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 17, 2016 at 7:39:32 pm

[Oliver Peters] " In all roundtrips using a mix of software, FCP 7 was far easier to work with than FCPX.
"

A good reason to limit as much as possible....

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 17, 2016 at 7:50:56 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "A good reason to limit as much as possible...."

What does that mean? You know in the normal production world and multiple client needs you generally have little control over these things.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 17, 2016 at 7:40:31 pm

[Oliver Peters] " I realize this is a problem with the FCPXML"

At least in the case I helped you on, it was a problem with the FCPXML that Resolve wrote, not with the overall FCPX structure.

If we added the proper data, the FCPXML worked just fine.

I think that the little I know how to tinker with FCPXML, it seems very viable and fairly robust system for such a 'new' interchange format.

Bill, I have a longer answer for you, but I have to find the time to write it.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 17, 2016 at 7:52:49 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "If we added the proper data, the FCPXML worked just fine."

This isn't Resolve and I'm not questioning the viability of FCPXML. Just that sometimes things don't work and there needs to be a better solution than what there is now.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 17, 2016 at 8:17:07 pm

[Oliver Peters] "This isn't Resolve"

Then what is it?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 17, 2016 at 8:57:19 pm

[Oliver Peters] "FCP 7 was far easier to work with than FCPX."

FCP 7's brute force relinking was what made it one of the most powerful NLEs ever - if that's what you needed.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Feb 17, 2016 at 9:00:16 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "FCP 7's brute force relinking was what made it one of the most powerful NLEs ever"

Agreed. A versatile conform engine.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 17, 2016 at 9:07:14 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Agreed. A versatile conform engine."

Some very well-informed guy wrote this really excellent piece on "The NLE that wouldn't die" which is well worth the read!

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 17, 2016 at 9:24:16 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Agreed. A versatile conform engine."

FCP Legend certainly gave you enough rope to hang yourself with but if you knew what you were doing the amount of flexibility and options it offered was amazing.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Feb 19, 2016 at 12:35:15 am

[Andrew Kimery] "FCP Legend certainly gave you enough rope to hang yourself with"

I really miss that feature.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Feb 18, 2016 at 5:25:58 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "FCP 7's brute force relinking was what made it one of the most powerful NLEs ever - if that's what you needed.
"

Agreed, I miss that feature. I used it often...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Michael Hadley
on Feb 18, 2016 at 12:13:04 am

Totally agree.

I did notice recently that I was able to relink a stock music WAV file with it's .MP3 demo version. That seemed--don't recall it could do that before. (But maybe it could).

But yes, force relink would be fantastic.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Feb 18, 2016 at 3:02:30 am

Wait...there's something FCP X can't do?????

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Feb 18, 2016 at 6:15:37 pm

Being unable to force relink is the reason I abandoned FCPX and fled to PrPro.
After accidentally opening some of the clips in AE, and even without making any changes - FCPX was unable to recognise these clips and cost me a days work to re-edit. So I trashed the toy.

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC2014, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Feb 18, 2016 at 6:18:30 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "After accidentally opening some of the clips in AE, and even without making any changes - FCPX was unable to recognise these clips and cost me a days work to re-edit. So I trashed the toy."

That bug was fixed ages ago.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 18, 2016 at 7:24:50 pm

[Morten Ranmar] "Being unable to force relink is the reason I abandoned FCPX and fled to PrPro."

Man, it's going to take a lot more than that to force me to Premiere!

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 18, 2016 at 7:35:48 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Man, it's going to take a lot more than that to force me to Premiere!"

What about breakfast in bed and a gift basket on your birthday?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 19, 2016 at 2:30:37 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "What about breakfast in bed and a gift basket on your birthday?"

Every year?

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Feb 19, 2016 at 2:52:14 am

Ok, so we had this issue also when we first ran into a need for relinking. It's actually not totally painful if you accept a few concessions, and I should say there is a way to force relink using a little XML hack, I'll see if I can find it but we do something different. Say you download a proxy from a stock site, it's some crazy low resolution, audio is basically garbage sounding, and there's a giant watermark. That's pretty standard. You make your edit, decide to purchase and download the clip. Or if you're us, you download tens or hundreds :). So you have a new folder in finder, and drag it into fcpx which creates a new keyword collection (let's call it replacements). Then you start the replacement process down the timeline. I'm sure you managed tagged your proxies in some way (right?), so you can sort that in a list in the timeline view. Now is the tricky part, but you don't even have to take your hands off the keyboard. You can bounce down your timeline list, and open all proxy clips individually in the timeline, and replace from the bin with shift R. Bounce back to the master with command [, make sure the clip plays/looks correct and you're all good. Effects, color, even transforms should ripple through. As a reminder to ourselves, we will drop a golden tooth (chapter marker) on the clip, just in case we need to jump back to it for any reason.

Force relinking should be done one by one anyway, you should always check and make sure nothing got lost in translation, so I really don't see it as much slower than even Premiere. Works for us, day to day. :)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 19, 2016 at 1:24:41 pm

[Chris Frantz] "Force relinking should be done one by one anyway, you should always check and make sure nothing got lost in translation, so I really don't see it as much slower than even Premiere. Works for us, day to day. :)"

Your method is great if you are lucky enough to be swapping out clips that have the same start frame, which is presumably going to be the case with most stock footage - one would hope.

Sadly it doesn't fit the bill when the clip you are wanting to relink to has a different start frame to the one you are wanting to swap it with, as is very frequently the case for what we do, as when someone has added or removed a leader or a slate or a logo, etc., etc.

Now imagine that you are having to replace a hundred edits or more, all from the same source with non-matching start frame - and you can see why the FCP 7 method was so attractive and why Premiere solves the problem too, but where FCP X can make life quite difficult.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Feb 19, 2016 at 1:37:58 pm

You're right, if the start frame has changed then the above method will not work. But if the last frame has not changed, it still will work if you backtime the replacement with shift Q. Now if both the end and start frame have been changed, things definitely get messier, but they also would in Premiere right? Maybe I can play around with this when I get into work, but if I force relink a file from the bin with premiere and the original clips is 10 seconds (cut to 5 on the timeline) and I replace it with one that is 3 seconds cut from the middle of the original 10 second clip, how does Premiere handle that? The cut in the timeline no longer matches what you're relinking to, so it seems that you would have a similar issue that you do with the same sceneries in fcpx where you will have gaps and trimming to handle.

Either way, force relinking should be done meticulously because things can get messy quick in any program.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 19, 2016 at 1:57:11 pm

[Chris Frantz] "but they also would in Premiere right?"

No, Replace Footage works from TC not from frame starts or ends and hence you are relinking to the same absolute frames even if your start and end are completely different. If your new footage is shorter than the footage you are replacing, you will have blank frames where the footage is shorter - exactly what you want.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Feb 19, 2016 at 2:13:11 pm

Good to know. In the two years I've been using FCPX professionally, and with tons of relink a along the way, I haven't run into this scenario. What would be a real life example of a clip going out, then being trimmed on both heads and tails then having to be force relinked back? If it's something from resolve you should be using a XML transfer instead, and if it's something from AE, why make trims in AE as opposed to sending the right ins and outs to it from the NLE?

If that was an issue that I had, I think I would follow the same method as before, but first I would glance up at the new starting TC next to the replacement clip, punch that in, and overwrite. Then to match premiere you would have to hit home, c, shift delete, end, up arrow, c, shift delete. That's certainly a few more steps, but it's maybe a 3 second addition to the workflow.

Sorry for any grammar issues, punched out on phone.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 19, 2016 at 2:21:35 pm

[Chris Frantz] "What would be a real life example of a clip going out, then being trimmed on both heads and tails then having to be force relinked back?"

We cut trailers and sales promos for movies so in almost every case we are working from a temp version of the movie (or temp dailies), which may or may not have logos, leaders, slates, end credits, etc., etc. We have to match this to final pictures (and sound) when they finally arrive which may or may not have matching logos, leaders, slates, end credits, etc., etc.

It does sometimes happen that the temp and final pictures have the same start and end - the law of sod being what it is, that's about as often as it snows in the Sahara.

I should add that your workflow is about replacing multiple different clips, usually in your case with matching starts. Whereas our workflow is about replacing multiple instances of the same clip. It goes without saying that, in our case, if you can relink once, you have saved a massive amount of time. In your case clearly less so.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Feb 19, 2016 at 2:35:13 pm

You're totally right, matching does usually occur for us we often do only replace single instance of a clip on a timeline. So you may have one master clip that's used multiple times in the project but if you relink it once in premiere that ripples through to all your cuts in the timeline? That makes sense, but if it's even one frame off, doesn't that throw every clip out of wack?

If you did want to try this in FCPX, for one master clip in multiple instances a timeline, why not open then master clip in the timeline from the bin and replace with the new master within it? Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 19, 2016 at 2:37:03 pm

[Chris Frantz] "That makes sense, but if it's even one frame off, doesn't that throw every clip out of wack? "

It pays to make sure that the TC of both clips is exactly the same - this is the necessary due diligence for this method. There are obviously a variety of utilities for adjusting the TC as necessary.

[Chris Frantz] "If you did want to try this in FCPX, for one master clip in multiple instances a timeline, why not open then master clip in the timeline from the bin and replace with the new master within it? Wouldn't that accomplish the same thing?"

It doesn't ripple through to the edited clips in the timeline, which is the object of the exercise here.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Feb 19, 2016 at 2:44:46 pm

Right ok, but then you could fly down the clips in your timeline hitting shift f, then shift r for a replace which should have your new master in it. That's the backwards way of doing it though, because it doesn't take your workflow in mind. You could just have easily started with your master clip in a compound clip. If you start your workflow with that you should be able to swap your master at anytime without even relinking and it would ripple down.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 19, 2016 at 3:26:23 pm

[Chris Frantz] "You could just have easily started with your master clip in a compound clip. If you start your workflow with that you should be able to swap your master at anytime without even relinking and it would ripple down."

Yes, I am familiar with this workflow too - however, we are handing off between different editing applications (this is necessary to us, so it can't be discounted from the equation) and not necessarily starting in FCP X every time, so this is again not the ideal solution.

Believe me, it's not as though I haven't worked through these problems in FCP X - I use it all the time despite the workarounds that I need to implement. The bottom line is that force relink would make a huge difference to our ability to use FCP X within our business.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 21, 2016 at 5:37:25 pm

[Chris Frantz] "You could just have easily started with your master clip in a compound clip. If you start your workflow with that you should be able to swap your master at anytime without even relinking and it would ripple down.
"

I just wanted to point out to anyone who is thinking of using this method that the preferred way of doing it is with a multicam clip - not a compound clip - for reasons which I am sure will be obvious.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Feb 21, 2016 at 6:55:20 pm

Consider them not obvious to some I guess, because I just finished a doc using about 23 clips wrapped in compounds without any issue. Granted it was finished in FCPX, but if I'm not taking it to Resolve then what's the issue? I've also read workflow studies where they recommended this very same method using compound clips.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 21, 2016 at 7:47:07 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Feb 21, 2016 at 7:47:33 pm

I didn't say you couldn't do it, I said that multicam is the "preferred" route. If you think through the implications of what functionality you have with MC versus CC, I think you'll understand what I'm saying.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 21, 2016 at 7:49:36 pm

Hint: It rhymes with sink

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Feb 23, 2016 at 2:41:29 am

If there are limitations they don't seem to be applying to our workflow :)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 19, 2016 at 2:33:22 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Feb 19, 2016 at 2:34:24 pm

Here's what a "replaced" clip looks like in Premiere when the replacement footage is shorter than what you are swapping out:

Note the areas at the start and end that have been hatched out to indicate there are no source frames for these portions.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 19, 2016 at 1:58:57 pm

[Chris Frantz] "Either way, force relinking should be done meticulously because things can get messy quick in any program."

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting that you relink and don't review the results ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Feb 19, 2016 at 1:44:22 pm

In Media Composer you can create a common metadata value in a separate column to use as the relink between a sequence and a clip. You can also adjust for timecode in one of the AuxTC columns if needed. It is not as straightforward as a direct force relink, but it can get the job done in certain situations.

Michael

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Feb 19, 2016 at 11:57:34 pm

Thank goodness Resolve also has smart force conform based on TC. I have heaps of shots in a doco where archive was cut in and then media consolidated and an AAF from Avid.

I went back to the archive, reconverted and deinterlaced and was able to quickly force conform about forty shots which had no naming reference to the original archive. Without that each shot would have to have been manually cut back in.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Feb 20, 2016 at 8:42:09 pm

[Michael Gissing] "Thank goodness Resolve also has smart force conform based on TC."

The beauty of the Resolve force conform method is that different clips from one source in the timeline can be conformed to different new media - in other words you're not relinking the a single source clip globally to a new source, you're doing it within the context of the timeline instances. It's an amazingly powerful option.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 20, 2016 at 9:03:26 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "you're doing it within the context of the timeline instances. It's an amazingly powerful option."

Hmph. Timelines. If you're into that sort of thing.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Leitner
on Feb 5, 2017 at 2:41:15 pm

QUICK AND EASY FIX FOR ANY RE-LINKING ISSUES

it's not a real "force re-link" and I don't know if it has already been mentioned BUT here is my little trick to deal with occasional errors like these: FCP X (after version 10.2 at least) imports any media as kind of a timeline. You can always right click on your files in the browser and choose "open clip" (name convention in 10.3+ which used to be "open in timeline" before).

From there you can basically add and remove anything you want, swap the audio for example or the picture or both for that matter. You could also stick subtitles or graphics and titles to it which would always stay with the video that way.

Regarding a force re-link all you have to do is dropping your new file in there and overriding the old one - of course it needs to have the same specs in terms of frame rate and sync but format or channel config do not matter. Works for me every time.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]