FORUMS: list search recent posts

Larry Jordan says Goodbye

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Larry Jordan says Goodbye
on Feb 15, 2016 at 3:51:16 pm

Larry Jordan, one of the prominent FCP trainers is closing his business.
Excerpts and link to the article.
____
The Time Has Come to Say Goodbye – for a while…

it became a “Bridge Too Far” in that it never generated the revenue we needed to support it. I can no longer afford to keep it.
But our industry is changing and I need some time to step back and see where it’s headed. ... The deadlines are too tight. My team and I are running so quickly amidst the trees that we aren’t able to see the larger forest.
This also means that, starting immediately, I’m looking for buyers for both the LarryJordan.com and DigitalProductionBuzz.com websites.

https://larryjordan.com/articles/the-time-has-come-to-say-goodbye-for-a-whi...

It is time to say goodbye, but not to our industry, nor to you. I’m looking forward to whatever the future brings – and happy to consider any invitations.

Take care, it has been an amazing time. I’m honored that I could share it with you. I wish you all the success in the world.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Larry Jordan says Goodbye
on Feb 15, 2016 at 4:54:11 pm

Sad to see Larry step down from his business and wish him the best. I do respect and understand the hard decision he had to make. Technology is changing too rapidly. I wish him well and the best of luck in whatever path he so chooses. Thank you Larry for the insightful thoughts you have made over the years and for sharing your wealth of knowledge. You are a true friend and a great person. The world needs more people like you. Pardon me as I cry typing this message.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 15, 2016 at 5:25:45 pm

Given that his new training facilities weren't generating enough revenue, I wonder if there's seeds of change in online training and he burnt out trying to keep up. Even more than his training, I loved reading his blog for his FCP/Apple/Industry insight. Although his post leans personal, I can't help but think he's leaving us with one more nugget about change.... even in the online training community.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Feb 15, 2016 at 7:28:52 pm

There's so many free FCPX tutorials on YouTube that I imagine that may be taking a lot of business away from the paid options. The quality may not be as good but it might be "enough" for a lot of people

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 15, 2016 at 7:59:10 pm

Yet I find most of the free tutorials piecemeal. Great for learning a specific function but not so much if you want to learn end to end functionality in an ecosystem. Also, unless you follow a specific content creator and they are certified (or off that quality), the information is wildly uneven.

I think perhaps Lynda.com subscription model might have been too difficult to compete against.
RippleTraining is a buy and pay for upgrade business model so it doesn't compete as directly.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Feb 16, 2016 at 8:40:48 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Yet I find most of the free tutorials piecemeal. Great for learning a specific function but not so much if you want to learn end to end functionality in an ecosystem."

This is exactly why I don't care for much "produced" training. Too much prattle, not enough info. When I need to look up a "how-to" video, I need straight to the explicit steps. I don't want an introduction about how we all got here.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 15, 2016 at 8:31:33 pm

Some of those videos can be useful but the quality does vary. I tend t watch the ones from Larry Jordan and Pixel Corps Asa they tend to be concise, no circus act attached. I have seen ones that are painful to watch either because of too much humor or not getting to the main point in a timely manner. I did wonder if the the free stuff out there could be a factor, in many instances it is.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Feb 16, 2016 at 7:34:00 am

I've met Larry on many occasions at trade shows or Apple events and have always found him to be a very approachable and knowledgable guy and obviously right on top of how these reiterated NLE's work.

But to me his teaching style is very old school, avuncular, tell it once, tell it again and then run though it a final time to make sure everything is fully understood. This style for me just doesn't chime with the ability we have of reviewing any video based training material. So I stopped buying his products.

Ripple seem to keep it fresher and release themed training packages with a high production value, and they are constantly providing free training material to the NLE 'community' through their 5 minute training releases.

So I feel that maybe if Larry had changed his style, stepped back a bit on the presentation front and packaged his material in a different way he would have had more financial success with his training products.

But then again maybe these new generation NLE's are so well engineered and designed they enable people to learn as they go. Whereas when I first started using FCP I found it incredibly complicated and really did need to buy training materials.

And good luck to Larry, an unusually decent and generous guy in what ever ventures he gets involved in. I'm sure we will be seeing a lot more of him.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Feb 16, 2016 at 4:48:08 pm

[Mark Dobson] "But to me his teaching style is very old school, avuncular, tell it once, tell it again and then run though it a final time to make sure everything is fully understood. This style for me just doesn't chime with the ability we have of reviewing any video based training material. So I stopped buying his products.

Ripple seem to keep it fresher and release themed training packages with a high production value, and they are constantly providing free training material to the NLE 'community' through their 5 minute training releases."

I tend to agree wholly. Personally not a big fan of slides either. But at least he isn't/wasn't this…

;-D
- RK

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Feb 16, 2016 at 5:46:13 pm

That video reminds me of some of the long, rambling posts that take place here and in the Adobe forum. :-)

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 16, 2016 at 7:58:28 pm

I've been a fan and user of Larry's tutorials. They are based on firm pedagogical foundations, and while his presentation style sometimes came off a little bit like the SCTV character "Gerry Todd", I always found his courses well thought-out, logical, and full of the most useful materials, delivered in a logical sequence that was easy to absorb. You can't get the comprehensive overview he gives, watching some of the "half-fast" online free "tutorials" made by teens on their laptop webcams, without a mic.

I'm glad some of his work will continue with the Creative live folks, who also do some good work. And who's to say, but that Larry will find another, more profitable way to keep teaching. He does it very well.

It's really very, very hard to make a buck at training without having a lot of sponsors or a patron in these days of everything being "free" online. I'm sure a lot of what Larry did, he did just out of love, but love don't pay the bills. He was moving into a subscription model like Adobe's towards the end, but I gather it was too little, too late. The profit margins for this kind of work are narrow, like investing in restaurants, so any big expense that's not offset by legendary levels of response business is going to be a problem, unless there's a cushion in the bank to level out the highs and lows.

What I would compare Larry's situation to is the music performance business, where today, bands of any size, don't make the bulk of their money from selling physical albums, or even through the Cloud; the most money is made from live touring and the branded merch sold at the venues. At Larry's age, The Road and endless tours is probably not an appetizing prospect. But there's precedent for it. If Adobe was smart, they'd put him on exclusive contract to be their "Factory Driver".

I wish him only success, and hope that he lands on his feet. He deserves a break, after helping myself and untold thousands like me, learn to make the new toys do what we need them to do.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Feb 16, 2016 at 9:09:20 pm

[Mark Suszko] "
It's really very, very hard to make a buck at training without having a lot of sponsors or a patron in these days of everything being "free" online."

[Mark Suszko] "If Adobe was smart, they'd put him on exclusive contract to be their "Factory Driver"."

It's an interesting problem. How to provide great training products that people are willing to pay for, while inexpensive and 'free' alternatives abound. I wonder if Lynda or Pluralsite might buy them out.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Feb 16, 2016 at 9:36:10 pm

[Shawn Miller] "I wonder if Lynda or Pluralsite might buy them out."

Linked In recently bought Lynda.com. Not sure what that says either.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Feb 16, 2016 at 10:41:33 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "

[Shawn Miller] "I wonder if Lynda or Pluralsite might buy them out."

Linked In recently bought Lynda.com. Not sure what that says either."

Same old story I imagine. Market consolidation, synergy or vertical integration. Pluralsite recently purchased Digital Tutors, who can say who will be next on the block; Total Training, FXPHD? I am a little surprised that none of these bigger training companies have been bought by YouTube or Vimeo.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 17, 2016 at 4:03:18 pm

[Mark Suszko] "It's really very, very hard to make a buck at training without having a lot of sponsors or a patron in these days of everything being "free" online."

Yet Ripple Training and MacProVideo are still around although I have no idea what their financial shape is. There's smaller players like Izzy Video as well.

I think at issue is business model.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Feb 17, 2016 at 4:03:39 pm
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Feb 17, 2016 at 4:06:01 pm

Apparently there's serious financial problems.

I received this email today LarryJordan.com
http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?ca=1245aa2b-ad07-43ab-8f9c-d...

Thank You!
Wow....

I am completely overwhelmed, emotionally, from the response to my blog on Monday. My wife said she wasn't surprised, but I was stunned. Still am, in fact.

The reason for my transition is financial - my health, thank heavens, is excellent. I thought I had a smooth transition planned over the next six weeks - but, I'm stuck and need your help.

In spite of all my planning, I've hit a financial wall during this transition.

It would help my team and me a great deal if you could purchase one of my webinars or any other of my training titles that catches your fancy. I wouldn't ask if I didn't need your help. And I'll only ask this one time.

Here's the link to my store: LarryJordan.com/store

Thanks, I am truly grateful for your support.

Larry Jordan
President
Larry Jordan & Associates, Inc.

P.S. Whether you are able to purchase something or not, I have read every one of your comments and they have touched me more deeply than I can ever express. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Feb 16, 2016 at 11:20:21 pm

just cow tipping back in one time to say - that's some passing. As a personal aside - at one completely forgettable point I made a series of incredibly stupid posts around one of his presentations on what would turn out to be the film Focus - drawing one idiot's conclusions after the other. It was embarrassing stupidity.

I'm genuinely sorry he won't be running his NAB interviews anymore, if he chooses not to. When I first found them, I used to be annoyed he ran them as drilled radio interviews, but then you'd realise the care and genuine respect he gave to radio. Not to oversell Jordan, but the man has a near Terry Wogan knack for drilling to the nugget inside a warm conversational space.

Last bit - a friend who is a way way better editor than me, who edits for Vice and bits of the BBC, does actually swear to the internally transformative moment she had watching Jordan edit briefly in anger as part of a presentation some years ago in London. She kept referring to it, and she kept referring to the speed of decision she saw. She duly stole and internalised the utter hell out of it. He's a class act.

http://ogallchoir.prosite.com/
producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Feb 17, 2016 at 2:00:04 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "just cow tipping back in one time to say"

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 17, 2016 at 4:08:47 pm
Last Edited By Mark Suszko on Feb 17, 2016 at 4:16:28 pm

If you guys can find it in your heart to buy something and help Larry out, I'd appreciate it. Not for me, but because he's freaking Larry Jordan. He's helped thousands make a living at this game. It's worth a few bucks to get him out of the ditch and back on the road to future success.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]