FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
Adobe
on Feb 4, 2016 at 9:09:20 pm

Adobe has released YET ANOTHER update to AE CC 2015 that STILL can't ram preview in realtime on a 5k iMac.

The workarounds are:

Turn of retina on an iMac
Select render queue while previewing and it goes to real time (because of course)
Find copy of CS6 in closet
Build exactly what you have to in AE, render, and bring to Motion

This is getting really really old.

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
Re: Adobe
on Feb 5, 2016 at 3:40:15 am

Hi John,
This is a known issue on OS X 10.11.x. We're working on a fix.

Our Product Manager has written about the issue here.

After Effects CC 2015 (13.5-13.7) has an incompatibility with a Mac OS X drawing API that changed in Mac OS X v10.11 (El Capitan) that causes the entire Timeline panel to be redrawn each time that only a subset of the panel should be redrawn—e.g., if only the preview time indicator should be redrawn because it is moving. This excessive redrawing can cause the effective frame rate of previews to drop below real-time speed. Apple and Adobe are working to address this issue. In the meantime, you can work around this issue by not showing the Timeline panel during previews; maximizing the Composition panel during previews with the accent grave (`) key is one good way to do this.

See also this blog post by an After Effects Quality Engineer here.

playback of cached previews is not real-time on Mac OS X 10.11

When you preview a composition, layer, or footage in After Effects on Mac OS X 10.11, playback of cached frames is not real-time.

We’ve been working with Apple on the main issue preventing real-time playback on Mac OS X v10.11, and we have a good understanding of the problem. Apple made a change to an API for drawing items to the screen in Mac OS X v10.11 (El Capitan). That change, coupled with some drawing changes for the Timeline panel that we made in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5), causes the entire Timeline panel to be redrawn each time that only a subset of the Timeline panel should be redrawn (e.g., when the preview time indicator moves, the whole panel is being redrawn to the screen instead of just the part that has changed).

We are investigating this problem for the next update to After Effects.

You can work around the problem by hiding the preview time indicator (red line that moves across the Timeline panel during previews) during previews, such as the following:

• close the Timeline panel
  • enable Full Screen the Preview panel, or press the accent-grave (`) keyboard shortcut while the mouse is over the composition panel
  • reduce the height or width of the Timeline panel, and/or twirl up layer properties to minimize the amount of screen space used by the Timeline panel
  • zoom in on the Timeline panel and move the current zoomed view up or down the composition to avoid showing the portion of the timeline you are currently previewing (thus hiding the preview time indicator)

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Feb 5, 2016 at 7:02:47 pm

Thanks Kevin. Hopefully the fix will incorporate Metal support. It's been a long long time since mac users felt the love from adobe.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Jimmy Holcomb
on Feb 18, 2016 at 3:03:36 pm

Want to cancel your monthly Adobe subscription? Watch out for whopping cancellation fee.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2016/02/18/want-to-cancel-your-monthly-adobe-sub...

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Feb 18, 2016 at 6:09:15 pm

[Jimmy Holcomb] "Want to cancel your monthly Adobe subscription? Watch out for whopping cancellation fee.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2016/02/18/want-to-cancel-your-monthly-adobe-sub.....
"

1. It's an annual subscription, not monthly.

2. It's common for any subscription service to have a cancellation fee. In Adobe's case, if you cancel w/in 14 days of signing up there is no fee. If you cancel after 14 days the fee is 50% of your remaining obligation to Adobe.

Link to Adobe's ToS.
https://www.adobe.com/misc/subscription_terms.html

3. If you clicked through to the actual Twitter account (as opposed to just short blog post w/a screen shot of the Twitter account) you'd see that the person's annual subscription had recently been renewed (hence the $60 fee which is 50% of the remaining obligation) and when the subscriber contacted customer support Adobe waived the cancelation fee.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 18, 2016 at 6:55:30 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "when the subscriber contacted customer support Adobe waived the cancelation fee."

Yep.

I am truly underwhelmed by the reading comprehension skills of the blogger, who claims to have read the page you linked to, Andrew. The cancellation language is three sentences in.

Reading is hard, though. I get it. Takes a lot of time. So, he COULD have Googled "Adobe cancellation fee," gone directly to that page (I did this, btw: it works), then on that page, searched for the word "Cancel" to see what he'd see.

The word "cancel" is on there 40 times. The page lights up like a Christmas tree. I'm posting a small version of the pic of the whole page zoomed out just to show: the answer to the question of what happens when you cancel isn't some esoteric knowledge revealed only to a chosen few. It's easy to see:

If you cancel within 14 days, there's no penalty, so what about mentions of what happens after 14 days? I found the first mention IN THE THIRD SENTENCE ON THE PAGE, and, once I found the specific language -- "Should you cancel after 14 days" -- I copied and pasted it in my Search box. It's on the page TEN TIMES.

That's a view of the page zoomed all the way out. Even at 100% size though, that phrase "Should you cancel after 14 days" is on my laptop screen four times on the first screen. Next screen down: FIVE times.

The entire page is three screens long, and "Should you cancel after 14 days" is "only" visible three times, but having already seen it seven times by then, I get the gist. As do you. As should he have.

So yeah, hate on subscriptions all you want. Argue that the cancellation fee is too high. Fine. 100000% legit. It's a debate forum. Let's debate! But claiming that the information is somehow hard to find -- the writer implied that the information isn't even there -- is a demonstrable error of fact. That part of the debate: over.

[Andrew Kimery] "when the subscriber contacted customer support Adobe waived the cancelation fee."

Worth repeating, so I repeated it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]