FORUMS: list search recent posts

Feature request

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Feature request
on Feb 4, 2016 at 8:03:38 pm

I am hoping this one gets implemented, wanting to see native support for Cinema Raw DNG files. I doubt Send To Motion will ever rise out of the deep blue see.

Camera Operator | Editor | PA
FCP X, Motion, Compressor, Resolve Studio, Photoshop
Blackmagic Design Cimea Camera, Bolex H16, Kodak Super 8

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Feature request
on Feb 4, 2016 at 8:17:16 pm

I'd be surprised to see native CinemaDNG ever either as it's barely implemented in Adobe's own NLE. Problem is it's basically terrible for playing back at full speed in decent performance because it's a massive sequence of images vs. a continuous video stream. Better workflow is proxy it for FCPX and then grade to DNG in Resolve.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Feb 4, 2016 at 8:43:39 pm

The only request for FCPX I've had since day one is zero lag playback over video I/O. In it's current state I can't see anyone editing in FCPX in other ways than with-out video I/O.

With lag I mean the time from you push play or stop and until the app responds. It's embarrassingly poor now, given I haven't tested the latest FCPX with 10.11.3 - it seems BMD has stability issue there anyways so I'm not sure it's the best platform anyway.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 4, 2016 at 9:06:33 pm

Really? FCP 7 was the same way. Certainly not that big of a deal to me. I use BMD ultrastudio express. Performance is same with or without.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 4, 2016 at 9:34:15 pm

Yup- this is a non-issue...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Feb 4, 2016 at 10:10:52 pm

Even "official" systems at IBC at the AJA and BMD booth suffer from the latency / lag issue. I don't understand how people aren't bothered by it. Last year an AJA engineer said "we've heard that from user, we're aware of the issue" and then mumbled something about Apple.

Premiere Pro had the same issue - worse even - in the CS5, 5.5 and maybe 6 days, but not anymore.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Feb 4, 2016 at 10:07:03 pm

Nope. FCP7 was instant play / stop on a decent system. Crap realtime FX but super low latency editing. Premiere Pro of later versions are also instant. FCPX is not.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Feb 4, 2016 at 9:21:57 pm

[Noah Kadner] "problem is it's basically terrible for playing back at full speed in decent performance because it's a massive sequence of images vs. a continuous video stream."

Image sequences can playback in real time as easily as any "container format". The problem with CinemaDNG files from the Blackmagic cameras is that they're 12bit, 3:1 or 4:1 compressed raw files. Depending on the frame size and frame rate, you'll need between 95Mbps and 220Mbps per stream to get real time playback in an NLE (IIRC). I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 4, 2016 at 10:13:44 pm

Yep- exactly my point explained in detail.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Feb 4, 2016 at 11:39:27 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Yep- exactly my point explained in detail."

I get that your point was about having a workaround for working with CinemaDNG... but you also said that playback performance suffers because of media type (massive numbers of images vs a video stream). Should it not be pointed out if that's incorrect?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 5, 2016 at 1:00:22 am

number of massive images- better?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow

Return to posts index

Paul Golden
on Feb 5, 2016 at 1:07:19 am

Well another FCPX update has come and gone with no support for image sequences at all. If you work in VFX, animation, time-lapse or have a camera that shoots image sequences, then native support is really big. Seeing thousands of individual files in the browser and having to manually construct them in compound clips is really dopey. Motion knows about image sequences, why not FCPX. Apple: please fix this. (I've filed numerous feature requests. Some actually have worked!)

On the score of Cinema DNG, does anyone know if it's up to Apple or BMD to make Cinema DNG raw interpretation work in FCPX? I would assume that BMD has Resolve, so little incentive to spend time getting FCPX to work, but correct me if I'm wrong. On the other hand, RED is not joined at the hip to Resolve, so maybe that's why we have RED Raw inside FCPX. Any thoughts on whose job it is to get Cinema DNG working in FCPX?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]