FORUMS: list search recent posts

Working on an external hard drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jenn Lindsay
Working on an external hard drive
on Feb 1, 2016 at 8:14:00 am

Hi folks!

Last time I was working on a huge project, I saved all of the footage and FCPX work right onto my iMac local hard drive, which is 3TB. I noticed when I was working on rough and final cuts, especially once the project on the timeline was the whole 60-70 minute movie, the program would start to work really slowly and I'd get the rainbow pinwheel a lot. Plus, on my 3TB hard drive I only have about 200GB worth of space left.

The time has come to open a new library and start a new doc project. I put all the footage directly onto my new 4TB external G-Drive. I'm wondering if it is possible to work off of this drive entirely, because it has so much more space available. I actually have two 4TB G-drives and it sure would be nifty if I could figure out a way to link them so that one could back up the other.

Here are three tasks I need some help with:
1) I could use some guidance on how to open/save/work on a library that is not on my local hard drive.
2) How do I make one external drive back up another external drive.
3) As a sub-question/afterthought, I guess at some point it would be clever of me to move the very unwieldy enormous library/project I referred to at the beginning of this post onto an external drive as well, but I'm scared that if I do that all the media will get disconnected and chaos will ensue. I still need to work on these cuts for the next year or so, so it is ideal that things remain intact, and there is a LOT of footage so manually reconnecting everything isn't totally feasible.

Anyway, looks like I could use some media management coaching.

Thank you very very much!!
Jenn Lindsay

http://www.JennLindsay.com
iMac 27-inch, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i7. 4GB GPU.
FCPX

Return to posts index

Jenn Lindsay
Re: Working on an external hard drive
on Feb 1, 2016 at 10:14:19 am

Hello!

Well, I figured out the easiest thing, which is how to open and save the library on an external hard drive. I'm wondering if I should import the media as "optimized" to avoid the sluggishness I referred to earlier (I filmed on a Canon EOS Rebel T3i and from how quickly the SD cards filled up the files seem to be pretty huge). This project at the end will be pretty long (50 minutes) with some animations and effects. I'd like to know if the video/picture quality will be preserved if I import "optimized" and if there is any downside other than a long import/transcoding time.

I could still really use some help with the other tasks:
2) set up second external 4TB G-drive to back up first external 4TB G-drive
3) moving the library / fcpx files of the other enormous / sluggish project to the external drive and keeping it all intact.

Thank you very much!!!!
Jenn

FCPX

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Feb 1, 2016 at 3:02:37 pm

[Jenn Lindsay] "2) set up second external 4TB G-drive to back up first external 4TB G-drive"

Hi Jenn,

I don't know if this helps but I also want my backup files to go to another drive also for obvious reasons.

The way I tend to work is I have a Library on say, an external drive and then I backup the Library to my HD.

In your case instead of selecting the HD like I did for my backup location, you could just select that second external drive for your backup.

Select the Library and then in the inspector click Modify settings

Then you would get this window

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Feb 1, 2016 at 5:35:09 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Feb 1, 2016 at 7:33:46 pm

[Jenn Lindsay] "I'd like to know if the video/picture quality will be preserved if I import "optimized" and if there is any downside other than a long import/transcoding time. "

Just looking at this issue, the answer is absolutely - if you understand how X works.

Basically, it's designed to work with an array of "pools" of footage.

Apple calls these Original Media. Optimized Media and Proxy Media.

When you originally capture - you create a pool of Original Media. That might be huge clips of Uncompressed 6k footage OR much smaller clips of more heavily compressed footage like h-264 or even iPhone video. It can also be exactly the ProRes encoded Media that X works with VERY efficiently IF that's what the camera captured.

X does not REQUIRE you to Optimize unless the original footage is in a format the program can't understand. And if it's already in a X native format, you might find the Optimize option greyed out.

Optimized Media is just that. ProRes media that FCP X understands as it's native format. IF you shot ProRes to begin with, there's no need to Optimize anything - because it's already in the correct format. But if you shot in something else - say a predictive frame codec that has to be decoded "on the fly" to make it suitable to edit - then Optimization fixes that by creating the secondary Optimized file pool that X can edit very efficiently.

The third type of pool is Proxy - which is compressed by size to half the vertical and horizontal raster of the original - yielding a 4x data rate savings. This is awesome for big files and things like multi-cam where you have big streams of data to manage.

Part of the magic of the X workflow is that it doesn't really matter WHICH pool you are attached to while you are making your edit decisions - for higher rez export, you just switch the pointers to the Optimized or even Original pools for your Share output - and it's the EXACT same edit. If your rendering is complete, it's a near instantaneous process to go from editing with low rez proxies to sharing a high rez master.

If you keep this in mind, it helps make sense of the whole internal/external drive issue. The screens Tony grabbed for you is how the interface lets you select where and how you store the various footage pools and render files.

Hope that helps you make sense of the X process.

Happy editing.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jenn Lindsay
on Feb 2, 2016 at 12:26:27 pm

Thank you Bill! This is super clear. I appreciate it!
Jenn

FCPX

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Feb 1, 2016 at 6:46:02 pm

There are utility software that can sched backups for you.
I am not sure if the freebie Time Machine can do this.
I use Dantz Retrospect but its not cheap.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Feb 1, 2016 at 6:58:07 pm

[Jenn Lindsay] "move the very unwieldy enormous library/project I referred to at the beginning of this post onto an external drive as well, but I'm scared that if I do that all the media will get disconnected and chaos will ensue."

In Finder if you double-click on the library file it will open in FCPX, no matter where that library is located. If you move that library file someplace else on that hard drive or a different hard drive, you can still double-click and open it. FCPX will still know where your external media files are.

In Finder if you move your external media files to a different hard drive, they will initially show up in FCPX as missing. However as of 10.1.2, FCPX can relink all media in a project no matter what location on the drive volume.

If moving media between two hard drives, in theory you could move every media file and folder to a different relative location on the destination volume than it was on the source volume. You could even use different folder names on the destination volume, restructure the folder tree, etc. FCPX will search every folder on the new drive volume and relink all the media files.

This MacBreak Studio episode covers it starting around 04:10.
The specific relink procedure starts at about 08:00.

Return to posts index

Jenn Lindsay
on Feb 2, 2016 at 12:40:40 pm

Okay, awesome. Thanks for this. I'll go ahead and move the beast on over and hold my breath until FCPX finds the media on the external drive! Thank you!
jenn

FCPX

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 3, 2016 at 2:58:45 pm

Worse case FC lets you navigate to the folder where you put the clips. It handles the rest. Basically just select import in the event in which there are off line clips. Then choose your finder folder where those clips are stored. It imports them and you do not loose a single edit. The relationship between FC and the mac Finder is truly great. No need to be afraid. Also if you want you can chose consolidate and put the original media in a different location.

Highlight the library and in the inspector choose consolidate and navigate to the library or any new or old location you desire. Pretty cool. Always good to have card copies stored elsewhere.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]