FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best ram tester for iMac 5k el capitan

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
Best ram tester for iMac 5k el capitan
on Feb 1, 2016 at 4:15:17 am

Does apple diagnostic compete with memtest and is memtest or rember ok with latest os?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Mem test apple. Diagnostic anyone
on Feb 1, 2016 at 2:59:17 pm

This used to an easy search now all links are out if date except built in diagnostic which happens pretty quick. Also with smart apple dies not seem to tap into this feature built into hard drives to warn of potential failure

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Mem test apple. Diagnostic anyone
on Feb 1, 2016 at 8:40:06 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Feb 1, 2016 at 8:40:39 pm

To be honest I've had dozens of Macs over decades and never wasted time testing my own RAM. If it works- it will pretty much work forever. If it doesn't you have a warranty replacement of about 4 seconds and done.

I'm guessing that's why no one is replying because no one else is doing this. But I could be wrong...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 1, 2016 at 10:34:48 pm

I'm in the same camp as you. BUT I just got a iMac 17 4K, top graphic card, OWC 32 gig of ram, Thunderbay 4xHGST 6TB drives.

Thunderbay comes with soft raid. Was using the softraid to certify drives (again something I've never done).

But they kept crashing - the mac will freeze and crash. Both with thunderbay and with an OWC thunderbolt dock.

contradictory symptoms in terms of what component is causing the problem.

Been working with customer support from softraid to narrow it down.

RAM may or may not be the issue but knowing one way or the other would be a help and its the prime suspect at this point. He has recommended memtest which uses command line terminal to run in single user mode.

The last time I tested ram I used rember which was a UI for memtest.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Feb 2, 2016 at 12:01:52 am

Had the same problem. It was the ram. Easiest test is to put the apple ram back in and see if it freezes with it. If it doesn't it's the ram. I'm having luck with the samsung ram.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Feb 2, 2016 at 3:18:45 am

Why not return the OWC RAM and try anything else- sounds like the more likely culprit.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 2, 2016 at 3:29:58 am

I agree but the mac doesn't crash with anything other than the dock and the thunderbay. I've edited for hours with a Pegasus on the same computer. Granted just still. And then I did an all day verify with dock and it didn't crash.

So if I can rule the ram out or in it would help.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Feb 7, 2016 at 8:12:55 pm

Well ran memtest with three passes in single user mode and it passed. So still left with owc enclosures in which my new drives fail at certify and/or crash the Mac. Same thunderbolt cable as Pegasus. Next I will try a Pegasus populated with the same drives and see what happens.
This is the same behavior I was getting with my 2011 iMacs and the owc mercury dual raids. Now it's three different owc enclosures/dock that does this. These drives pass smart check.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]