FORUMS: list search recent posts

Way OT: Stone Age editing, no use of the "D" word

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Way OT: Stone Age editing, no use of the "D" word
on Jan 14, 2016 at 4:55:04 pm

Found this interesting:

I first learned to edit on tape but with the good old fashion two deck with controller thingy so no splicing, pasting all that other fun activity stuff involved. I did have to edit an open reel audio tape once at the Art Institute of Dallas, not fun. Even though modern technology can feel like an unpleasant medical test it sure beats having to do all that manual labor. On the other hand life was much easier, and no renting software!

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: Way OT: Stone Age editing, no use of the "D" word
on Jan 14, 2016 at 5:13:07 pm

While I never had to cut video tape, as in the first example, I was an assistant editor for a show where the tape was assembled as in the second example. In those days a good editor was one who could manually pre-roll the playback tapes with enough precision to make the cut happen with +/- 15 frames accuracy.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Bernard Newnham
on Jan 14, 2016 at 6:42:39 pm

How to do it, by the BBC -

Bernie

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jan 14, 2016 at 9:44:49 pm

Thank you for posting. This looks like something on the bridge of the starship Enterprise for some reason. Amazing how technology has changed so much over the years. There are even videos of how to edit on the old film machine. Something that I always wanted to do.

Return to posts index

jerry wise
on Jan 14, 2016 at 6:48:14 pm

oh yes...the sound of those spinning heads brings back many memories. i did some splicing but mostly is was syncing up 3 or 4 vtrs and rolling them all at once and then making your dissolves and keys thru the switcher. if your sync was off you had to resort to marking the tape with a marks-a-lot so you wouldnt go back to the same wrong sync point. the best tape on the market was 3M 420. your masters looked great and your dubs looked as good as your masters. before automated playback of commercials at the station you had 2 vtrs for commercial playback and as one commercial finished you had to very quickly rewind the tape and put the next tape on the machine before the current commercial was playing ended or you would have dead air. it was crazy but fun. then came the CMX and time code.

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jan 16, 2016 at 1:09:32 am

Some of my first edits were on Ampex VPR-2B, 2" quads. No controller, ran it through a switcher.

My edit today was on my MacPro tube, 8TB RAID, all in my backpack.

Still makes me shake my head.

"Constituo, ergo sum"

Bob Woodhead / Atlanta
CMX-Quantel-Avid-Premiere-FCPX-AFX-Crayola
"What a long strange trip it's been...."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]