FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lone Wolf Program Myth

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ievgenii Larin
Lone Wolf Program Myth
on Jan 12, 2016 at 7:47:13 pm

To begin with I’m a big fan of FCPX and I’ve been using it since 2011.

Here is short story about "lone wolf" program myth.

Company I work for provides camera and playback services for a client, who uses Premiere Pro. Right now I'm looking for Show Notes X and Sync-N-Link X alternatives for PP.

I checked some products with no success. For no reason I decided to check how other NLEs communicate with outside apps.

DaVinci Resolve 12 exports sequences as XML and AAF. No export option for entire project.

Avid Media Composer exports sequences as AAF. I’m not aware in what format MC exports entire project, and if it is possible at all.

FCPX exports XML for any clip (regular, synchronised, compound, multicam, audition). It exports project (sequence), event (bin), library (project) XML.

Is everything stated above correct?

P.S. You may ask who ever needs to export clip XML. I regularly do complex compositing inside compound clip and email its XML to another editor.

P.P.S. Let’s not talk about OMF.

P.P.P.S. I would be grateful if someone could help me solve PP problem.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: Lone Wolf Program Myth
on Jan 12, 2016 at 9:26:31 pm

[Ievgenii Larin] "I would be grateful if someone could help me solve PP problem."

I would suggest you post your request in the Ppro forum.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 12, 2016 at 9:30:22 pm

[Ievgenii Larin] "For no reason I decided to check how other NLEs communicate with outside apps."

Communicate with WHAT outside apps? And for what reason? Most editing apps are just part of the process...the process that's EDITING/SOUND MIX/ONLINE. And in this machine, all that is really needed is to get the sequence out to the audio guy (AAF with embedded audio) and sequence out to the Online editor/colorist.

There really is no need to get full projects out to anyone...unless one is abandoning ship and looking to get onto another ship. Are you trying to see how to have two editors work on a single project with different editing apps? That's not really recommended.

[Ievgenii Larin] "DaVinci Resolve 12 exports sequences as XML and AAF. No export option for entire project."

There is...but it really is to move the project from one machine to another. In the FILE menu is EXPORT PROJECT. But again, why export the whole project? Not sure what your goal is.

[Ievgenii Larin] "Avid Media Composer exports sequences as AAF. I’m not aware in what format MC exports entire project, and if it is possible at all."

It isn't possible. Sequences only.

Interestingly, you can export full projects from FCP 7 as an XML...I know many people who do this to get from FCP 7 to Premiere Pro or FCX (with the help of 7toX). Again, the "abandon ship" mentality...moving from one NLE to another. There is a way to move from FCX to PPro or FCP 7...with the XtoCC app.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 12, 2016 at 10:05:00 pm

[Ievgenii Larin] "Right now I'm looking for Show Notes X and Sync-N-Link X alternatives for PP."

There is a version of Sync-N-Link for PPro, or does that not provide the same functionality as the one for X?

Return to posts index

John Baker
on Jan 12, 2016 at 10:21:15 pm
Last Edited By John Baker on Jan 12, 2016 at 10:27:45 pm

XML can be very useful in contexts that you might not expect. Such as preprocessing tools for logging (this is what OP wants I think), some audio post tools.

I make an audio workflow tool called Vordio that converts XML from an NLE to an REAPER project. It dumps more of the metadata into the audio project than you could ever get from a typical OMF/AAF that you are probably used to using for audio. It applies scene/take as hover overs on the audio items, regions and markers to send sound design instructions etc. It can organise audio by 'role' for FCPX XML as tracks don't make sense. All that is in the XML to be used so why not use it?

Some requested new features actually will require full project XML (which Premiere does also support). For instance you may need to know metadata for audio that is not even used in the sequence. An example would be which alternative take can be used to find a word replacement. To do that you need to know which audio is from same scene but NOT the sequence. That info is in the project XML but not the sequence XML.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jan 12, 2016 at 11:19:43 pm

[Shane Ross] "[Ievgenii Larin] "Avid Media Composer exports sequences as AAF. I’m not aware in what format MC exports entire project, and if it is possible at all."

It isn't possible. Sequences only.
"

In MC you just share the bins which are essentially the project. Share all the bins and you have succesfully shared the project. Of course the media the bins point to needs to be on both machines.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 12, 2016 at 11:39:56 pm

[Neil Goodman] "In MC you just share the bins which are essentially the project. Share all the bins and you have succesfully shared the project. Of course the media the bins point to needs to be on both machines."

He's talking about sharing projects between different applications. So converting a full Avid project to Premiere, for example.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Jan 13, 2016 at 12:07:44 am

[Shane Ross] "[Neil Goodman] "In MC you just share the bins which are essentially the project. Share all the bins and you have succesfully shared the project. Of course the media the bins point to needs to be on both machines."

He's talking about sharing projects between different applications. So converting a full Avid project to Premiere, for example.
"

aha...got it.

Return to posts index

John Baker
on Jan 13, 2016 at 1:53:54 am

Odd. I doubt it. I thought he just wants to pre-process shoot logs etc and have them appear in a convenient form in Premiere with all metadata attached. Take a project, pre-process it with some other data, then carry on.

Sometimes you just need metadata that is in the project but not in a sequence (but is usually in some XML). Such as my example of needing an alternative audio take from same scene (but not a take chosen in the sequence) to use for word replacement because it contains the same line of audio.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]