FORUMS: list search recent posts

manual migration to El Capitan

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
manual migration to El Capitan
on Jan 11, 2016 at 5:07:23 am

My current set up is a 2011 iMac OS 10.10.5.

Just bought a late 2015 iMac.

Trying to get ready to move over.

CCC Cloned back up.

All media on external drives. Including FC libraries and needed media and files.

Want to go clean as possible.

Unlike in the past, can't seem to get directions on manually moving over things like mail, messages, internet bookmarks.

Fairly confident on manually bringing over my apps. and copying my documents to the new document folder and other files to the new folders where they belong.

But does anyone have info on mail folders and other GO>library files .

Is migration assistant all or nothing?

Would a time machine copy allow specific stuff like mail to migrate over without ruining the purpose of a clean install?

Have fingers crossed on MS OFFICE 2008. Mixed reports.

Experience/help appreciated.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: manual migration to El Capitan
on Jan 11, 2016 at 5:34:11 am

If your mail is imap it should load automatically when you enter your credentials in. Other things come from iCloud syncing. If you haven't used iCloud yet, go do that and sync the old Mac and hen add it to the new Mac.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 11, 2016 at 1:13:23 pm

I just went through this on a 2009 MP after I put in a new boot drive. You can control the settings in Migration Assistant to custom. I brought over docs, music, etc. but no apps. While this isn't quite as clean as a totally manual migration, it works well. Most of your settings and authorizations come over this way.Then re-download and/or re-install the apps and plug-ins that you want. I have MS Office 2011 and that was fine. 2008 might be touchy depending on whether it will let you do the proper updates.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 11, 2016 at 8:40:45 pm

Thanks. I was told migration assistant was all or nothing.

didn't know there was a custom.

Will 2011 read 2008 docs without messing up formatting?

Will migration assistant bring over mail and - on my mac mail boxes?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 11, 2016 at 8:46:55 pm

[Craig Alan] "Will 2011 read 2008 docs without messing up formatting?"

It appears to. I haven't checked it that closely, but the few docs I've opened since the update all look fine.

[Craig Alan] "Will migration assistant bring over mail and - on my mac mail boxes?"

Yes, if you select the option to move over the library. The rub in doing that is that your library will include all the old stuff. So if you have apps that you no longer wish to install, the associated application support files will still be there. On the plus side, most of the things like registration files for plug-ins will be there, as well.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 11, 2016 at 6:43:55 pm

Sorry, I was on a plane when I gave you that previous comment and couldn't elaborate.
Nowadays Craig when I set up a new mac I don't have to sweat too much about all this. Granted, I'm drinking all the apple coolaid but for situations like this it's great - and offers much redundancy.

1. Photos from Photos app sync to the cloud full res if you have settings right in iCloud and have enough iCloud Photo Library storage space. All photos are available and accessible on your phone, just select 'optimize iphone storage' on your phone so it doesn't fill it up.

2. Music
If you use iTunes Match, all your music is backed up to your iCloud Music Library with Apple Music. Songs or tracks that aren't matched are uploaded as-is.
When you sign into your account with iTunes on the new mac, it gives yo the option to download all your music back to the new mac, just like Photos, or you can just stream it from the cloud. I have over 35,000 songs up there. $20/yr for Match, $10/mo for Apple music (3 mo free). Everything will stream or download to any phone or device you own.

3. Box/Dropbox/iCloud
All of these services have a free tier so almost all basic type pdf's and word docs you have can be moved to box and will migrate with you to the new machine when you install them on it. I prefer box because of it's selective sync capabilities. Our clients love it as well.

4. Word
This one is going to be the biggest challenge. MS wants us all on Office 365 now. I actually prefer using that as it's cleaner looking and you get 5 devices for $10/mo. If you decide you hate it, pages is tolerable as a free way to open docs and export. I do not love pages though.

5. Messages might come over depending on how long you have them set on your messages preferences to save.

6. If you're using POP for your email, you should stop doing that. IMAP is better, syncs when you read devices, and brings all folders over correctly. I currently recommend FASTMAIL for macs because you get fantastic server side rules, custom domains, and real PUSH on macs as well as iPhones.

7. For FCPX, copy any custom motion templates over after you install the ProApps on the new mac.

I have done this a hundred times. This solution works best because it doesn't just prep you for this specific transition, it preps you for new phones, iPads, etc. if your mac blows up due to an alien attack, you lose nothing. Any new photos you add to photos are synced to the cloud at full raw res. Affinity photo gives you all the adjustment elements you need.

All told it's also much cheaper than a new HD.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 11, 2016 at 8:17:31 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Jan 11, 2016 at 8:19:05 pm

Thanks John,

1. I use aperture and all libraries are on a raid.

Though like FCP 7 it is EOL. I'll worry about that later.

3. Don't use drop box but dragging my documents over to the new documents folder is a pretty simple. And a huge collection of docs really don't take much storage but i do like the idea of having it all synced so might consider it. But I like to have different docs at work than at home. And worry about privacy on the cloud.

4. Really hope I can stay with MS OFFICE 2008. But we'll see.Mixed reports from fellow 2008 users.

5. Can't I sync messages on my phone to messages on the new Mac?

6. I'm using IMAP but I don't know how to bring over the "on my mac" mail folders on El Cap.

In the past a simple search told you what user account library files need to be brought over and export import from Mail.

Also my job uses exchange.

And same question about safari links.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 11, 2016 at 8:45:20 pm

-Your aperture libraries will come right over with the RAID then.
-Honestly aperture still works so if you're happy with it then great.
-Box uses 256 bit encryption. You can pick and choose what syncs to your local device. https://sites.box.com/sync4/
-Maybe 08 office will work
-If you're using iMessages on your phone as part of iCloud, it 'should' recreate all your messages assuming you have the phone settings under settings / messages (scroll down) Keep Messages set to 'Forever'. You open up messages on the new clean mac and put your account credentials in and see what happens after it's had a bit of time to load. http://www.gottabemobile.com/2013/11/16/sync-imessages-across-ios-os-x/
-drag the 'on my mac' folders into or under the 'inbox' folder on your old mac mail window. This pushes them all back to the IMAP server for download on a new machine. My IMAP folder structure exists under my INBOX, like this:

Depending on how many emails you have, this might take a while. It'll go faster if you smart folder search your mail and get rid of any old emails with huge attachments - unless you have blazing fast upload speeds like Fios, in which case, whee!
-Exchange does not provide push email to mac mail, only iOS. What host are they using? if it's office 365, then you can set up as IMAP. They may also be able to give you an option to have the latest office apps for free with your exchange hosted account. This is only if they have office 365 exchange hosting and your account enables you to have the apps. Please confirm if they host with office 365. There are other options that might be cool if so.
-Safari bookmarks sync with iCloud as do a ton of very useful things. http://www.apple.com/icloud/

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 11, 2016 at 8:48:41 pm

FWIW - Aperture shows up in the App Store if you previously bought it. Therefore, you can download it through the Mac App Store along with the other Apple and third party apps.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 12, 2016 at 6:54:29 am

Yup thanks it's in there. I feel the same way about it as i felt about FCP 7. Was hoping for a major update and speed boost and instead EOL - there goes the learning curve. Yes I can still use it but getting deeper and deeper dependent on a app headed no where. On the other hand - like when I gave up on FCP 7 - have no idea what to move to.

However, I moved to FCP X a year to early (as it turned out) and I suppose Photos could add all the features back.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 12, 2016 at 7:43:54 am

Charlie Austin turned me on to Affinity Photo on the app store. It has lots of el capitan photos extensions that fill in the gap. I did love my Aperture though. I still keep it for small non-personal projects and just create single libraries that I zip up when done. Photos does the rest. Affinities Skin Smoother is pretty great.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 12, 2016 at 6:45:09 pm

Reluctant to rely on third party plug-ins. It makes each update a concern. And the money adds up since they often have no incentive to make it work with each update. Nor does Apple always support these third party developers by helping them transition to each update. I remember when FCP X came out the buzz was that plug ins would fill in all the gaps. I'm not saying that there aren't good plug ins for FCP X; but it is taking hold cause Apple filled in a lot of what was missing.

I suppose since Aperture still works, I could transition to a new app like Lightroom, but there are really mixed reviews if Lightroom really has the same abilities that Aperture has. The sense I get is better with some, less with others, like all pro apps. I feel fluent in Aperture and that's the real problem with this constant learning curve of EOLing apps. When FCP 7 was EOL I was pissed cause I had started to get to a new level with it. But I felt really sad for the editors where using it was just an extension of their mind, the mechanics being mastered. That doesn't happen over night.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 12, 2016 at 7:12:55 pm

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/affinity-photo/id824183456?mt=12

Affinity Photo is about $50 and is a standalone app in the mac app store. Extensions let it 'hook' into Photos for specific tasks.

That said I'm not trying to sell you on leaving Aperture. I tried Lightroom and the lack of certain basic things like a blur brush made it unwieldy for me (yes, I know, make a sharpness adjustment and set it to -4 or whatever). I think Photos Library Manager app now lets you work back and forth with Aperture.

Affinity is slowly taking over for me, at least until another app comes along that's even better.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jan 12, 2016 at 7:37:02 pm

[John Davidson] "Extensions let it 'hook' into Photos for specific tasks."

FWIW - this is also true of Pixelmator.

[John Davidson] "I think Photos Library Manager app now lets you work back and forth with Aperture.
"

And they both show up as visible libraries inside FCPX.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Kevin Patrick
on Jan 13, 2016 at 1:45:38 pm

[Craig Alan] "I could transition to a new app like Lightroom"

For what it's worth. I was (am) a long time Aperture user. (I'll try and refrain from going on a rant about Apple dropping products, then again, this is the proper forum for such a rant)

I'm not a big fan of Lightroom. I also don't care for Adobe's subscription model.

I finally decided (after spending a fair amount of time learning it) to move to Capture One. It's a little more like Aperture than LR. At least in terms of not having to switch between develop and library modes. It's very customizable. Plus, it's RAW converter is better than both Aperture and LR. At least for my Fuji cameras. Plus, C1 can read your Aperture Libraries. While not perfect, it's better than not.

It's not cheap, but it does come with the ability to load the SW on three of your computers. (I think, haven't tried that yet)

Capture One has lots of videos (long detailed ones) on You Tube, so trainmen is basically free.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 14, 2016 at 12:17:38 am

Well that sounds promising. Aperture still works so I'll give it a year and see how this evolves. I have about 2.5 TB of raw shots to edit and organize for a multimedia video and not really in the mind set to learn a new program first.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jan 12, 2016 at 6:49:35 am

Thanks John. Taking this all in.

Ran into one snag. My phone and work Mac have the email set at IMAP. My home computer is set to POP stay on server for one month but I could uncheck that box.

1) Does that mean remove immediately? Or not remove at all?

2) Can I just change it to IMAP before doing the manual migration?

Road Runner gives you these options

3) And use the trick you mention above to move the "on my mac" mail folders to the inbox?

-------------

"(iPhone settings) under settings / messages (scroll down) Keep Messages set to 'Forever'"

yes that is my settings but it doesn't seem to always work on my Macs. If the Mac was shut down, some times it syncs when turned on and sometimes not.

4) Is there any way to sync my messages currently stored on my phone and sync them with messages on my Macs?

---------------
Here's what I find for the exchange office 365.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jan 12, 2016 at 7:41:59 am

I've found that Exchange and Apple Mail are often a little wonky. Exchange works great for iPhones and devices. The problem is either Apple refuses to license Exchange Push, or MS refuses to add it to Apple's desktop mail unless you get office 365 and the Outlook app. It's very frustrating to want to use Apple Mail, but then find yourself waiting a long time after your phone notifies you of a new mail for it to finally show up in Apple Mail. I found IMAP solutions tolerable.

That LAUSD post sounds like something written by a PC engineer who is maybe just trying to avoid questions.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/apple-mail-mac-set-up-email-8903

If you have exchange on the phone and IMAP on the mac, it's totally fine. To migrate your Pop over to IMAP on the old desktop:
  • keep the pop account on, and enabled on the old mac
    add a new account to your old desktop mail of the exact same email, but this time as an IMAP account (get the process from your server)
    let everything load in, which depends on how many emails you have in the cloud. Sounds like you have a months worth.
    Once the IMAP mail has loaded in, you'll have TWO inboxes under a single all accounts inbox. Move the POP mail folders from the 'on your mac' section of the side bar to the 'inbox' subfolder of your newly added IMAP account
    Let it copy over. This uploads all your old emails back into the cloud.
    *NOTE: You might want to copy a few folders at a time (it brings subfolders over, don't worry). It's easier to navigate any upload errors you might get if there are less folders in a single batch of moves.

Monitor the processes of everything with mail/window/activity to know when all your uploads are done.

• Once done, go to your email on the new mac and put your IMAP account info in. All email, including the former POP ones, will now sync to MAC #2.

Side note, all these mails and folders will now be visible on your phone. You can select specific subfolders to sync in the mail app from folder view. Also you can pin favorite folders to the top of the list for quick access.

Even with this sometimes I found IMAP to be sluggish with Office365. I gave up on them and switched to FASTMAIL and couldn't be happier.

I personally ONLY sync mail, and let my iCloud handle Calendars, Notes, and the like. This prevents me getting confused about which service has which mail accounts. We do this at the office, too.

Good luck!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
    © 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
    [TOP]