Zen and the Art of Edit Suite Maintenance

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Dickin
Zen and the Art of Edit Suite Maintenance
on Jul 3, 2011 at 11:19:27 am

Hi
Does History Repeat?

In 1933 the Nazi party by (roughly) democratic means achieved a majority of the popular vote and had convinced a majority of the 'elite' power-broking class to give them control of Germany.
One of their principal concerns was to achieve Lebensraum - territorial expansion.

By 2010 Apple had a majority slice of the mobile device and high quality mobile computing market, and reportedly a 54% share of the elite post-production business (not to mention graphics professionals).
Apple wants to be the "best company at creating mobile devices" (and the rest, software etc).

Once they felt secure in power the Nazis showed their true colours, and in 'The Night Of The Long Knives', they disposed of the leadership of their core supporters - the 'brown-shirt' SA, in a bloodbath.
Without the SA the Nazis could never have risen to power, the SA's loyal support in the previous decade was crucial to the survival of the Nazi party in the 1920s.

On May 18th 2010 there was a report of the existing management team for Final Cut Suite being 'shuffled around'. That is to say the Commissariat of Cupertino* took the decision to terminate support for the dedicated creative professionals who had been their loyal supporters throughout the previous decade...
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/05/18/apple_scaling_final_cut_studi...

The Nazis subsequently went horribly public with Kristallnacht - "no event ...in history was so widely reported as it was happening"
Genocide is a totally different matter, but the 'broken glass' of Apple's 6/21 has definitely had a shattering effect on our particular community.

The Nazis went on to attempt to gain Lebensraum by conquest, and the rest as they say is history :-(
A history that shows that once a regime finds it can achieve its goals by savagely and brutally setting aside the perceived obstacles to its progress it is likely to continue to do so.

So what will Apple do next?
Having shown it can act with complete disdain for its erstwhile core supporters...

I think its next disruptive break with the past is fairly clearly signposted.
What comes after Lion - king of the jungle?
From Cheetah via Tiger and Leopard to Lion, that sounds like a progression that has reached its climax.

What comes next is an unknown - no doubt a melding of iOS and OS X.
Given Apple's recent course of action why shouldn't that 'break' everything?
Why should it be an OS with a file system - doesn't current Apple software seem to be moving more towards a 'document' paradigm, only visible via an Apple application.
If Apple does this all Apple's own software, including FCP X, will be fine.

But what of Premiere, or Avid?
Avid takes long enough to validate a new OS X point release as it is.
How long will it take them to validate a totally new form of Apple OS?

Isn't it best for FCP 7 switchers to Premiere or Avid solutions to also make the switch to Windows on HP (or whatever) hardware?

All the above is an open question - does anyone have a refutation or answer to it?

* taken from an earlier posting. ;-)

Disclaimer: The history of the early and mid 20th century was truly awful. I am only looking at the mindset of the fascist leadership. The consequences of their inhumane actions has no relevance to this discussion.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
Re: Zen and the Art of Edit Suite Maintenance
on Jul 3, 2011 at 11:34:11 am

wait - the nazis? thats.. pretty heavy.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 3, 2011 at 11:53:22 am

The nazis - seriously, the nazis? I think this may be the single most offensive and stupid post I've ever read on the COW

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Gary Pollard
on Jul 3, 2011 at 12:02:05 pm

There's a saying I read somewhere that once Nazis get dragged in to an Internet debate rationality has left by the back door.

But I do agree that Apple has decided megalomaniacal tendencies.

____

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Jul 3, 2011 at 1:52:55 pm

I think the original post is an excellent story. Even if it is stretching to connect Nazi Party ideology and Apple it is still a good read and a reminder of history.

ronpesteshdvideo.com
Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro
New convert to Adobe CS5.5 Production Premium

Return to posts index

Owen Wexler
on Jul 3, 2011 at 1:59:18 pm

That's Godwin's Law, and I hereby invoke it on this thread.

Cinematographer - Editor - Motion Graphics Artist - Colorist

http://www.owenbwexler.com

Return to posts index

Peter Steinberg
on Jul 3, 2011 at 4:56:16 pm

While it's very generous of you to note that "genocide is a totally different matter", as someone who lost family in the Holocaust, I have to say that your comparison is quite facile and deeply offensive.

Return to posts index

Mike Chedwick
on Jul 3, 2011 at 6:03:12 pm

OP, you're a F*&^%* loser.

Return to posts index

James Mortner
on Jul 4, 2011 at 3:28:24 pm

Probably wouldn't have used the same metaphor there, perhaps slightly offensive and out of order hmmm ?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]