FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interesting switch

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robin S. Kurz
Interesting switch
on Jan 2, 2016 at 4:49:43 pm

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/01/01/marques-brownlee-mkbhd-final-cut-pr...

All his reasons for switching sound pretty much like everything that's been said here and elsewhere so many times before (by people that actually use X), but of course shrugged off as biased, fan-boyish yadda yadda...

Oh right... he's "just some YouTuber". :-P

- RK

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
Re: Interesting switch
on Jan 2, 2016 at 5:40:36 pm

He has 3 million subscribers, I have 350. Oh well, we both use FCPX.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 2, 2016 at 5:43:33 pm

You don't think it could be... content, do you??

;)

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jan 2, 2016 at 9:35:12 pm

[Claude Lyneis] "He has 3 million subscribers, I have 350. Oh well, we both use FCPX.
"

I have 10,000 and I use FCPX, can you see a pattern developing :)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 2, 2016 at 8:04:15 pm

Interesting that he points out Intel QuickSync. This is one of the FCPX/Compressor additions awhile back. Some people were confused in their testing because they found iMacs faster than MacPros. That's because (last I checked) i7 processors support it but not the Xeon family. My understanding is that initially QuickSync encodes didn't quite look as good as non QuickSync encodes but that too has changed over time so there's no concern using it.

The article is a year and half old but note the difference between their MacPro and MBP (both 15" and 13") when exporting H.264. Whereas, on other encodes the MacPro is faster.
http://www.macprovideo.com/hub/final-cut/final-cut-pro-x-performance-test

So a single pass H.264 encode for YouTube might be very fast on a MBP but not so much for ProRes. Just pointing that "faster" when it comes to export and FCPX depends on both CPU and codec.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 3, 2016 at 5:24:50 am

It also affects decode of h264 which is why you'll find iMac users having no problem editing native footage and MacPro users having to transcode. Then, of course complaining about export times. Between those two, and the cost difference, plus a retina display included, I can't find a reason to purchase a MacPro for FCP X usage alone.

How about a Mac Pro mini with the dual GPUs, and quad i7s?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 3, 2016 at 4:52:55 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Jan 3, 2016 at 4:55:19 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Some people were confused in their testing because they found iMacs faster than MacPros. "

Not sure how that's really relevant in this context, since the comparison is the differences between NLEs, not different Macs.

But then, as of 10.1 and the new entropy mode that both FCP and Compressor use for multi-pass encoding, it would be pretty silly to encode single-pass on a Mac Pro anyway. In which case it easily smokes any other machine at multi-pas i.e. is faster at multi-pass than any current iMac will ever be at single-pass.

[Herb Sevush] "For those of us who edit longer pieces where export speed is not foremost on our minds - this is interesting but not compelling."

Sure. PPro users never ever need to render during the edit either. I forgot. But yeah, somehow I'm not surprised how any clear advantages X has are somehow "not needed by real, hard working editors". :-))))

Like I said. Just some silly YouTuber.

So I guess the OP isn't actually in any way new news. Just cause and effect.

- RK

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Jan 3, 2016 at 3:15:41 pm
Last Edited By Herb Sevush on Jan 3, 2016 at 3:16:27 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "All his reasons for switching sound pretty much like everything that's been said here and elsewhere so many times before (by people that actually use X), but of course shrugged off as biased, fan-boyish yadda yadda..."

Unless I'm missing something he said he switched because he could export much faster from X than from Ppro. I don't recall him talking about any other aspect of editing.

"Even more significant is the reason why he switched—Final Cut Pro X results in quicker turnaround time—it allows him to export videos much faster, which allows him to keep his subscribers updated with new content more often."

So if your mac only, and if speed of export is a significant factor in your workflow, then X seems the best choice. For those of us who edit longer pieces where export speed is not foremost on our minds - this is interesting but not compelling.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 3, 2016 at 9:07:10 pm

[Herb Sevush] "I don't recall him talking about any other aspect of editing."

FYI: "Premiere is still awesome, but I'm switching for the performance. Playback, FC, rendering, everything is faster in Final Cut Pro 10."

https://twitter.com/MKBHD/status/682232882090405888

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]