FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: The App Store and Resolve

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
OT: The App Store and Resolve
on Dec 19, 2015 at 8:05:39 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Dec 19, 2015 at 8:08:29 pm

Was doing my weekly check for software updates when I noticed Resolve Studio is now available from the App Store for $499.99 USD which I found curious. Anyone else notice this?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: OT: The App Store and Resolve
on Dec 20, 2015 at 12:38:28 am

There has been discussion of this on a number of colorist lists. Obviously this is Mac-only on authorized machines. The general belief at the moment is that when BMD comes out with Resolve 13, you will have to buy that version new again.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 20, 2015 at 1:06:42 am

Two questions:

Will a hardware dongle be required if purchased from the App Store? Will current owners with a dongle be required to pay for the next version though not purchased from the App Store or is that a free upgrade? I noticed question one being thrown around on the BMD website. The question of whether it can be purchased once but installed on multiple machines under the same account was raised as well. Guess we will find out soon enough. My guess the update cycle in the current version will be free.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 20, 2015 at 1:38:20 am

[David Mathis] "Will a hardware dongle be required if purchased from the App Store?"

I have no idea, but I doubt it. I don't think the MAS can work that way.

[David Mathis] " Will current owners with a dongle be required to pay for the next version though not purchased from the App Store or is that a free upgrade?"

Again, no idea. But BMD has treated the free versions on the MAS as different versions from the free versions through the BMD site. They have slightly different features and haven't been in sync with each other. So I suspect that will be the same. IOW, the paid Studio version from BMD will be a different product than the paid Studio version from the MAP. Of course, I'm speculating based on current knowledge, with no clarification from BMD yet.

[David Mathis] "The question of whether it can be purchased once but installed on multiple machines under the same account was raised as well"

No idea, but I doubt they would be able to deviate from MAS policy.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 20, 2015 at 1:49:47 am

Thank you for responding. Looks like this new option raises more questions then can be awnswered. I noticed that some reviewers had issues with the free version from the MAP, then again they might not have read the configuration guide. For now, I will just download any update from the BMD website.

The magnetic timeline, it's magnetic-o-matic!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]