FORUMS: list search recent posts

A New Job Posting at Apple

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lawrence
A New Job Posting at Apple
on Dec 13, 2015 at 9:47:58 pm
Last Edited By David Lawrence on Dec 13, 2015 at 9:51:49 pm

I was going to let Aindreas post this one but I'll put it out for your consideration:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/13/10029498/apple-final-cut-pro-x-assistant...

Happy Holidays and debate on! ;)

linkedIn: http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
vimeo: vimeo.com/album/2271696
web: propaganda.com
facebook: /dlawrence
twitter: @dhl

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
Re: A New Job Posting at Apple
on Dec 13, 2015 at 11:32:32 pm

I'll get the popcorn.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Dec 14, 2015 at 1:17:00 am

It's for Beats; in Santa Monica. I would assume they have an existing installation that came with the purchase?

I'm sure they will want to switch to FCPX as soon as they can. :-)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 14, 2015 at 2:06:29 am

The article says that no one wants to use X, even in Cupertino, when the job links to an Apple purchased company, with an established pre-acquisition media presence, that is located in Culver City which is 345-ish miles from Cupertino. What does this article have to do with Apple using X, even in Cupertino?

Typical click bait witch hunt.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 14, 2015 at 2:20:09 am

According to my friends at Apple, their internal creative services folks pretty much have at least one of everything, including Smoke and Flame. And those huge data centers Apple is building certainly aren't running on Macs.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Dec 14, 2015 at 2:35:25 am

[Oliver Peters] "And those huge data centers Apple is building certainly aren't running on Macs.
"

No, just an array of iPhones.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 14, 2015 at 3:17:16 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "No, just an array of iPhones."

Soon to be overseen by a division manager who works from a beach house in Maui and who communicates exclusively to the troops via thumbs up and thumbs down icons from his Apple Watch having decided that Twitter involves "just too much inefficient thumb typing."

Brave new world and all.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Phil Lowe
on Dec 14, 2015 at 10:11:36 am

[Oliver Peters] "And those huge data centers Apple is building certainly aren't running on Macs."

And Pixar, of which Steve Jobs was once the majority shareholder, was using HP render farms. I believe they still are.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 14, 2015 at 1:55:45 pm

[Phil Lowe] "And Pixar, of which Steve Jobs was once the majority shareholder, was using HP render farms."

And the Pixar films are cut with Media Composer. Since this opening is at a Beats facility, they obviously have whatever legacy gear was there before Apple.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Dec 14, 2015 at 2:15:39 pm

And personally, in the end, does it matter? Will they sell fewer FCPx into the market in this part of the market or will that be a blip on a gnat's ass compared to the number they currently sell? They, more than another other company in the world can afford not to care. They'd rather have their hardware show up in the shows being edited on Avid Media Composer than the value to the populace that the show itself was edited on FCPx or not.

They are addressing the many times larger consumer/prosumer market out there, not to mention their making 30% on every piece of content that passes through iTunes - and guess what, "90% of that is most likely edited on Media Composer and/or Pro Tools.

I am sure Avid would love to get the same number of subscriptions per year that FCPx downloads get in a week? Month?

I remember telling myself that as soon as iTunes came out and Apple was a distributor: "they don't care about the NLE anymore"

Michael

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Dec 14, 2015 at 2:28:40 pm

During the time I read all the posts here, 2 thousand plus soccer moms have purchased/downloaded FCPX for their future edits ;)

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Dec 14, 2015 at 7:06:00 pm
Last Edited By J Hussar on Dec 14, 2015 at 7:09:20 pm

I saw that ad and let out a dismal laugh.

I'm in the process of moving from FCP7 to Premiere Pro now. Painful.

My final straw is that Apple is just too arbitrary - deciding for us what features we should have and killing others - making it very difficult to plan ahead at all.

At least with Adobe I know that Premiere will be around for a while and is more open of an open architecture.

For all we know - with FCPX - Apple will decide we no longer need all those ridiculous codecs and strip them out. Basically it's a trust issue, and Apple blew it. Like any bad relationship where the person you're with become arbitrary and unhinged, its time to go.

On the other hand I love all our 12 core Mac Pros - so far they haven't totally destroyed that line yet. And if Apple does destroy the high end, we won't be left high and dry with a lot of older projects that are outdated and can't be transferred to another archtecture.

I have used macs from the beginning, The OS remains well put together, it really works well when working with multiple apps and has been very stable. But they really need to make a real Pro division that takes this stuff seriously. The mothership can make stainless steel watch bands and emojis and phones, etc. And one dfivision can make powerful computers, not appliances. Even Jobs got it - cars and trucks. I'm not sure Tim Cook gets it, or even Ive. Ubilllos certainly does not get it. He is making software so he can make dull videos about his latest trip to Cabo.

Apple seems to be becoming a fashion electronics company - and fashion companies by their nature are untrustworthy.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 15, 2015 at 1:10:40 am

[Eric Santiago] "During the time I read all the posts here, 2 thousand plus soccer moms have purchased/downloaded FCPX for their future edits ;)
"

Naw - they're all doing their edits in iMovie with their iPhones or an iPad Pro.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Dec 15, 2015 at 1:55:38 am

[Michael Phillips] "I remember telling myself that as soon as iTunes came out and Apple was a distributor: "they don't care about the NLE anymore" "

I would offer that the success of Apple NLEs and associated applications are important to the people within the ProApps unit, but not so much in the executive suite. It's good PR, but really just a rounding error at that level. Of course, money is money, though I doubt that any of the ProApps products would have the success they do enjoy if they lived outside of the Apple halo. One has to wonder if Apple doesn't actually make more money from licensing ProRes than from the sales of FCPX.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Dec 14, 2015 at 6:55:02 pm

While people here (mostly) see this for what it is - nothing - there is a wider audience yukking it up about it. Your response is nicely worded. If you don't mind, I'm stealing this. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 14, 2015 at 11:31:16 pm

Zing!

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 14, 2015 at 11:33:09 pm

Wait a minute! You mean Apple does not use Final Cut Pro X for their stuff? What the hell? Getting out the credit card and subscribing to Adobe now. ;-)

Return to posts index

Ricardo Marty
on Dec 16, 2015 at 3:53:31 pm

What is a mac? Its a pc running mac software. Im sure they have their propriety software running those gazillion pc in the data centers.

As for the creative software I am sure they have the cash to re equip any post.

Ricardo

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]