FORUMS: list search recent posts

the Or Not debate...coming to a stage in Nashville

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Field
the Or Not debate...coming to a stage in Nashville
on Dec 8, 2015 at 6:32:15 pm
Last Edited By Andy Field on Dec 8, 2015 at 6:34:04 pm

December 14th - Avid, FCPX and Adobe editors debate their choices on stage!

http://www.provideocoalition.com/the-nashville-filmmakers-guild-nle-debate

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
Re: the Or Not debate...coming to a stage in Nashville
on Dec 8, 2015 at 8:16:33 pm
Last Edited By Scott Witthaus on Dec 8, 2015 at 8:16:49 pm

Is this serious or have I missed a season and it's April Fools Day.

sw

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Joseph W. Bourke
on Dec 8, 2015 at 9:04:12 pm

That was just what I was thinking, Scott. Why don't we also have a public forum where Ford, Toyota, and BMW owners line up and argue about which car is the best?

And...if anyone goes to this event, what will they aim to get out of it? Proof that their particular NLE is the "best of breed"? Validation that they chose the correct NLE? A convincing argument to dump their current NLE? I don't get it...

Joe Bourke
Owner/Creative Director
Bourke Media
http://www.bourkemedia.com

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Dec 8, 2015 at 9:54:40 pm

not sure why - but it is serious

What: The 2015 Nashville Filmmakers Guild NLE Debate
When: Monday, December 14 2015 2 7:00 PM
Where: Studio 615, 272 Broadmoor Drive Nashville, TN 37207
How Much: Free! (donations will be accepted after the event)
Who: Meet the candidates -
Avid Media Composer - A native of Portland, Oregon, Matt Pfingsten has worked as an editor and shooter in the Nashville area for ten years. After graduating from Watkins Film School, Matt spent several years freelancing for the recording industry and various production companies before being hired by Quaver’s Marvelous World of Music, a video-based music education curriculum, where he has worked since 2011.

Apple Final Cut Pro X - Jeffrey Holland is a Director of Photography located in Nashville, TN. He has worked on a diverse set of projects including feature length documentaries, short films, music videos, commercials, and more with some of the most well known names in the industry. He has been a FCPX user and fan since it’s beginning, even attending the keynote at NAB when Apple first revealed it.

Adobe Premiere Pro CC - Joel Evans is an MTSU graduate with a Bachelors of Science degree. Originally from Belize, Joel has spent tremendous time developing his craft as a producer and editor.Over the years, the technology has evolved in an impressive way, and Joel Evans has been utilizing these technologies to hep enhance his productions.

Moderator - Scott Simmons was born in rural West Tennessee and didn’t really realize that movies and television had to be made by actual people until he went to college. After getting degrees in both Television Production and Graphic Design he was in one of the early graduating classes at the Watkins Film School in Nashville, Tennessee. During that time at Watkins he discovered editing. With well over a decade of experience in all areas of post-production he has edited a diverse number of projects ranging from music videos, to live concert productions, to commercials, to documentaries and everything in between.

- See more at: http://www.provideocoalition.com/the-nashville-filmmakers-guild-nle-debate#...

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 8, 2015 at 10:34:37 pm

Is there going to be a protest by DaVinci Resolve editors?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 8, 2015 at 11:17:26 pm

Not the editors, but with a "DP" debating a "Preditor" about editing, shouldn't they maybe add a sound designer and a colorist to discuss NLE interfaces as an add on? Mark, that would get DeVinci included for sure.!

(Just teasing of course, Scott Simmonds is a great guy and I'm sure he will get VERY qualified participants on both sides. Will be interesting to watch what they say if it's recorded.)

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 9, 2015 at 1:05:12 am

Man, I have like eleventy-billion posts in this forum and I don't even get a courtesy invite? WTF? ;)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Dec 9, 2015 at 5:51:32 am

Andrew, I thought you were in LA.

This is happening in Nashville right?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 9, 2015 at 6:35:36 am

[Bill Davis] "Andrew, I thought you were in LA.

This is happening in Nashville right?"

Yes to both points, but it's the principle of the thing. ;)

Return to posts index

Scott Simmons
on Dec 19, 2015 at 2:52:24 pm

It was real, we had it and it was a lot of fun. And people did learn from the event as I got a lot of feedback about it. I discussed the idea behind the NLE Debate here'>the idea behind the NLE Debate here. http://www.provideocoalition.com/the-nashville-filmmakers-guild-nle-debate-...

The live stream was archived on YouTube. https://youtu.be/iGoDzoOi1_s

I tried to embedded it below.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 9, 2015 at 1:15:50 am

I the same thing we get out of coming here every day. Whatever that is.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Dec 9, 2015 at 2:05:26 pm

[Joseph W. Bourke] " what will they aim to get out of it? Proof that their particular NLE is the "best of breed"? Validation that they chose the correct NLE? A convincing argument to dump their current NLE? I don't get it..."

Agreed. This seems pretty silly. Hell, just send everyone a link to this forum and let it go from there....

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 9, 2015 at 2:35:43 pm

I think viewers may learn a bit about what features and workflows are paramount to certain editors. It's not one NLE is "better" than another but that those who need specific features or workflows may find a better reason to be multi NLE proficient. Making it adversarial invites more pointed critiques in the comparisons otherwise it would simply, "why I love my NLE" with no mention of "why mine, not yours."

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Dec 9, 2015 at 7:45:08 pm

They forgot to add the Adobe rental only aspect. I mean, really want to hear both sides, not from a entertainment view point but rather a business one. So many complex factors, would be added value. I am serious and don't call me Shirley! :-)

The magnetic timeline, it's magnetic-o-matic!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]