FORUMS: list search recent posts

Motion blur in Motion 5 FCP effects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sevan Antreasyan
Motion blur in Motion 5 FCP effects
on Jul 2, 2011 at 11:19:34 pm

Hi all,

I searched the Internet for an answer to my problem and couldn't find any...

I created a camera shake effect in Motion 5 to use in FCP X. The effect greatly benefits from activating motion blur in the render settings of the project. The problem is that it considerably slows down FCP X when I try to apply it to a clip, and it made FCP X crash several times.

It is not (to my knowledge) possible to rig the motion blur parameter. That would be great: I could apply the effect without MB and activate only when exporting my movie.

Any workarounds/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Zach Shore
Re: Motion blur in Motion 5 FCP effects
on Jul 21, 2011 at 10:55:12 pm

Here's something I've used before to fake Motion Blur in Motion, I played with it as a motion effect and maybe you could adapt the idea to your needs. It's a bit involved, but I think it's decent. Basically I use linking in Motion to get one filter to drive multiple blurs based on direction.

Create a FCP Effect.
-I applied the following filters to the Effect source: Earthquake (for camera shake), Radial Blur, Directional Blur 2x (one for horizontal, one for vertical.
-Zero the Radial blur angle, and the amount values for the directional blurs.
-Set one of the Directional blurs to an angle of 90° for a vertical amount. The horizontal blur is already set
*I'd recommend appending the control direction to the name of each filter to make the next section easier. (example: Directional Blur-Horizontal, Directional Blur - Vertical)

Linking it all up:
-Apply a link behavior to the Radial Blur Angle.
-Apply a link behavior to the Amount parameter for each of the Directional Blurs.
-Drag and drop the Effect source layer to the image well for each of the Link Behaviors.
-For the source parameter, select the appropriate parameter from the Earthquake filter for the Blur control.
+Radial Blur>Earth Quake:Twist
+Directional Blur-Horizontal> Earthquake:Horizontal
+Directional Blur-Vertical>Earthquake:Vertical

Once everything is linked up the earthquake filter parameters will drive the blurs for the effect, thus faking "motion blur". From here you just publish the Earthquake filter parameters you want in FCPX.

Fine tuning and other ideas
-To get a "better" effect, I increased the scale value in the Link behaviors for the Horizontal and Vertical blurs to 10, but you can adjust these to taste.
-Be careful with the blur amount for the directional blurs otherwise they just end up looking like a gaussian blur. You could use a lower scale value and then publish the Layers parameter, this will give it a bit of that fake computer motion blur look.
-If you want to get really fancy you could also link the Earthquake Epicenter to the Radial Blur center so you could have a rotational offset. Don't forget to publish the OSC in the Earthquake
-You may want to publish the scale for the Effect source in case the effect reveals the background.

Hope this helps!

"You can come push the buttons, or you can let me do my job."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]