FORUMS: list search recent posts

Any word on an update for El Capitan?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Ives
Any word on an update for El Capitan?
on Nov 13, 2015 at 6:34:37 pm

No, I'm not talking about new features... just wondering if anyone has gotten a sense that the FCP team has a minor update coming to make it compatible with El Capitan?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
Re: Any word on an update for El Capitan?
on Nov 13, 2015 at 6:48:11 pm

crazy how there's not one NLE qualified for use yet and its been out about a month.

I just ordered a new maxed out 27inch Imac. Hopefully we get some patches from the three A's in the next week before it arrives.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Nov 13, 2015 at 7:01:46 pm

[Neil Goodman] "crazy how there's not one NLE qualified for use yet and its been out about a month.
"

And not to pile on, but developers have had it since June. I think we can assume that the FCP X team at least knew about it since then?

I hope you didn't buy the new wireless keyboard or mouse... they require El Capitan. I had to shuffle keyboards and mice around, since a lot of people didn't know that... and it's all that you can buy now...

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Nov 13, 2015 at 7:32:45 pm
Last Edited By Ronny Courtens on Nov 13, 2015 at 7:33:43 pm

Just wondering if anyone has gotten a sense that the FCP team has a minor update coming to make it compatible with El Capitan?

Why would they need to do this? FCP X works perfectly with El Capitan, and it has been like this from the start. Most third-party plugin manufacturers also released updates for EC right away, only 2 audio plugin manufacturers are still working on an update. I am running FCP X 10.2.2 on the newest 5K iMac running the latest version of El Capitan right now, and I have no problems.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 13, 2015 at 7:29:41 pm

[Mitch Ives] "to make it compatible with El Capitan?"

FWIW, X is working fine with 10.11. There's a little UI glitch in the TC window, but it doesn't affect performance. However, *some* 3rd party plugins haven't been updated, and there's an issue with some macs with nVidia GPU's causing crashes when rendering stabilization and/or optical flow.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Nov 13, 2015 at 8:05:13 pm

[Charlie Austin] "There's a little UI glitch in the TC window, but it doesn't affect performance. "

Which is why I wonder why there hasn't been a quickie fix... just to avoid embarrassment. Wouldn't seem to take more than 5 months, would you think?

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 13, 2015 at 8:09:27 pm

[Mitch Ives] "Wouldn't seem to take more than 5 months, would you think?
"

My guess is it's something in the OS that needs fixing, and since it doesn't affect how X works, they're just sticking to the schedule. Or they don't care - which I'm sure is a popular viewpoint in some circles - but I don't think that's the case. :-)

Return to posts index

Rob Katz
on Nov 13, 2015 at 8:17:04 pm

so as someone who is thinking of FINALLY transiting to fcpx onto a 2010 imac i7 (11,3) which is running the latest el capitan, since i have no plug-ins or third party apps then downloading fcpx 10.2.2 should run fine.

right?

thoughts?

thanks in advance.

rob
smalltalk.media/nyc

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Nov 13, 2015 at 8:25:19 pm

[Rob Katz] "thoughts?"

The only thing I'd worry about is the nVidia thing, what GPU is in the iMac? Again, like anything, the stabilization/OF issue is anecdotal. If you can clone your current system as a safety net, I'd say go for it. :-)

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Nov 13, 2015 at 10:45:14 pm

Every 2010 iMac has an ATI Radeon card (4670, 5670 or 5750 depending on the model). Yours has a 5750. So you will have no problems with the GPU.

And regarding nVidia: yesterday, nVidia has posted driver updates for El Capitan, and these seem to solve the issues some people had after updating to EC. So that should be out of the way as well. Just check the nVidia website for the updates.

Except for iZotope and Presones, all popular third-party plugin manufacturers have updated their plugins for El Capitan and are reported working. iZotope has announced updates for next week.

If the little UI glitch is inside the FCP X code, Apple will certainly not release an update to FCP X just for this, Any change to the application, big or small, requires a complete run-through of the core code and a full testing cycle on multiple configurations. Because you never can predict how changing some lines of code will influence other parts of the application. As the problem is purely cosmetic (and even not noticeable on my 5K iMac), I think they will wait until they do a substantial update. I hope they take their time to make it a really good one, no hurry.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Nov 14, 2015 at 3:11:16 am

[Charlie Austin] "My guess is it's something in the OS that needs fixing, and since it doesn't affect how X works, they're just sticking to the schedule."

Maybe the upcoming 10.11.2?

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Nov 14, 2015 at 1:45:37 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "If the little UI glitch is inside the FCP X code, Apple will certainly not release an update to FCP X just for this,"

Agreed. Moving the update cycle around for a simple, non-detrimental and mere cosmetic issue would be rather extreme and unnecessarily knee-jerk imho. The only issues I know of that are left, concern specialty 3rd party audio hardware and/or plugins. But in general, not in the context of FCPX.

[Mitch Ives] "Maybe the upcoming 10.11.2?"

No. At least not with the current beta.

- RK

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Nov 14, 2015 at 1:50:24 pm

Just read that Resolve 12.1 has gone 10bit:

http://nofilmschool.com/2015/11/davinci-resolve-121-adds-new-editing-color-...

We wait :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]