FORUMS: list search recent posts

100 percent display size wierdness (too small)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Baker
100 percent display size wierdness (too small)
on Nov 11, 2015 at 1:18:02 am

For some reason, the quicktime player, Actual Size playback is much larger than the 100% size in the FCPX display window. The source size is 1080P in a 1080P timeline.
The display setting for the monitor: 2560x1440
The monitor is 4K but scaled down to this more useable size.
Why the discrepancy?

Jeff Baker
Three Geese Productions

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: 100 percent display size wierdness (too small)
on Nov 11, 2015 at 1:38:42 am

Looks like X is still respecting the retina scale. Why would you run your display at a non-native size? You just like things looking fuzzy?

Return to posts index

Jeff Baker
on Nov 11, 2015 at 4:54:48 pm

So right, I have a Acer 4K monitor attached to my Mac Pro and the native 4K makes the FCPX UI too small to read or use (I've tried so many of the bandaid and accessibility options, but its just unreadable).
I do see some fast resolution switching software I might be to use...
Also I don't get the retnia hidpi options in display list even when going to scaled with the alt/option key held down.

I think I might need a second non 4K monitor to edit 4K and do other stuff on my mac (like email or safari or finder even).

I have a 2010 imac that I might be able to put into target display mode if El Capitan will let me...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Nov 11, 2015 at 5:09:14 pm

That's odd. But I've only used the retina 4k displays on the iMac, where the interface is exactly the same size as on a non retina iMac. Maybe someone else knows what's going on.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Nov 11, 2015 at 7:11:40 pm

I have a similar setup with a Samsung 4K monitor on my Mac Pro, scaled down. Essentially, it gets treated like a retina screen but it's not exactly the same so I guess there will be a few discrepancies. I can't say I've ever noticed the size difference between the two. My thought though, would be that a computer monitor is a preview at best - why does it matter?

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Jeff Baker
on Nov 12, 2015 at 7:15:42 pm

I'm doing color correction with the 4K monitor in FCPX, but that all should be fine as long as I'm calibrated. I'd just like a larger preview window. I found a quick res switch app I can use for now. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Adam Scott
on May 9, 2016 at 8:55:25 am

Hi Jeff,

Did you ever run into a good solution for the tiny UI issue? My 4K monitor just showed up. I'm having the same problem you've described. The UI is so tiny that it will actually impede my productivity.

Adam

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on May 9, 2016 at 9:15:28 am

I don't think anything has changed. You either run the monitor in 4k and grab a magnifying glass, or you scale the output in preferences so OS X treats it like a retina display.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Adam Scott
on May 9, 2016 at 3:55:09 pm

Thanks, Jeff. For some reason, El Capitan doesn't give me the option to treat my monitor as a Retina display. The text scaling option doesn't show up and the "Looks Like 1920x1080" resolution isn't available. The display is perfect...looks like OS X is raining on my parade.

Return to posts index

Jeff Baker
on May 10, 2016 at 1:54:23 am

No luck. I even tried updating my nividia gpu to the latest beta driver for Mac but still could not get a HiDPI or Retina option to appear in scaled resolution setting of my Acer monitor. I also tried different display port version settings in the monitor menu (stick to 1.2), but no luck. Maybe if I was using a 50" monitor it would look ok at 4K, but I'm keeping it at 2560x1440 for now to keep thing readable. At some point, I think I'll just bite the bullet and get an Apple Monitor.

Jeff Baker
Three Geese Productions

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on May 10, 2016 at 4:59:46 am

Try a search online for "terminal command OS X HIDPI"

I believe this was the command:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist DisplayResolutionEnabled -bool true

I used this awhile back to force Mavericks to treat my Samsung 28" 4K monitor as Retina.

Another note I read says to hold down ALT when clicking the "Scaled" button in display Prefs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]