FORUMS: list search recent posts

Crashing FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Ives
Crashing FCP X
on Nov 9, 2015 at 9:04:51 pm

Imported some media today that is a series of Photoshop files, saved as TIFF files w/ alpha. When creating them in PS, it warned me that these files (a series of individual layers) were larger than 2GB. Anyway, importing those eight files into FCP X 10.2.2 caused it to crash. It continues to crash each time it loads.

I've gone into the package for that Library and removed those files from the original media folder, but that won't stop the crashing each time FCP X launches. I've done the trash the preferences option in FCP X and can get FCP X to launch, but the minute I open that project, it opens, then spinning beach ball, then crash... all before I can delete those unlinked file in the browser. Very annoying for a program that normally recovers from a crash pretty well (though I rarely get that).

Any ideas for being able to recover this project (Library)?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
Re: Crashing FCP X
on Nov 9, 2015 at 10:00:32 pm

Some possible solutions, start with the first one.

1. Launch FCP X and restore the project from a backup that was made prior to importing these files.

2. Quit FCP X. Go into the Library package and see if there is a file called "CurrentVersion.fcpevent-journal" in any of the Event folders. If so, trash it and restart FCP X.

3. If the first two steps don't solve the issue: quit FCPX, go into the Library package and trash the "CurrentVersion.flexolibrary" file at the root level of the package folder. Empty the trash and launch FCP X.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Nov 9, 2015 at 10:31:29 pm
Last Edited By Mitch Ives on Nov 9, 2015 at 10:32:28 pm

Thanks Ronny. The first one definitely won't work... can't keep the program open long enough to do anything. I had tried the second one to no avail. I could get the project to load without crashing, but it's empty. The third one didn't work either, same empty project.

To test a theory, I created a copy of the project and any attempt to bring in a Photoshop file in large format (.psb), crashes the program. After that, you're in the same boat I'm in. Someone worked on a bunch of Photoshop files, and since I don't show extensions on most of these machines, I didn't catch that they weren't PSDs, but PSBs. Converting the PSB files into PSD allows them to load just fine.

A word to the wise... you might want to watch out for PSB files...

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 10, 2015 at 1:31:40 am
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Nov 10, 2015 at 1:33:12 am

Mitch

Maybe try booting from a fresh system (Maybe your laptop?) that doesn't have any record of the X project that's corrupted. See if you can open X on that so that the program doesn't have any pointers remaining to the corrupt files? And trash everything from there?

(Do we even still have Target Disk Mode? Haven't needed it in years!)

Sounds like your machine is bound and determined to load the corrupt code - and you've got to find a way to break that chain.

Just spitballing here. ; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Nov 10, 2015 at 2:40:40 am

[Bill Davis] "Sounds like your machine is bound and determined to load the corrupt code - and you've got to find a way to break that chain. "

Worth a try. I'll try anything at this point...

The thing is, once I trashed the preferences so the program wouldn't try to load that corrupted project. I can open all my other projects just fine. Just not the one where I mistakenly imported Photoshop .psb files.

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Nov 10, 2015 at 7:28:23 am

I feel your pain. PSB files should not be used in anything else than PS. Even Lightroom cannot open them.

As to opening from a backup that was created prior to importing the files: you don't need to have FCP X open to do this. Quit FCP X with all Libraries closed, then go to the Final Cut Backups folder in Finder and double-click the Library backup file you want to open.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Nov 10, 2015 at 3:48:01 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "I feel your pain. PSB files should not be used in anything else than PS. Even Lightroom cannot open them."

A tough lesson learned. One of the advantages (sarcasm intentional) to having been forced onto CC. These files started out as a single PSD, and then had several layers added to break the image apart into several pieces. Apparently, the file got rather large at some point, and the file switched from PSD to this here-to-fore unknown file format. My guess is that some kind of a dialog box popped up suggesting a change, which somebody agreed to.

Anyway, I have now enabled "show extensions" on every machine, so these files can't skate around in stealth mode. In the meantime, given the destruction that this caused, Apple might want to consider protecting FCP X in some way.

I've also made sure no one drops files directly on the timeline anymore. Using the Import command will at least show these files as greyed out, so you'll know that you shouldn't select them. The thing is, you can still select them and cause all this carnage, as FCP X tries to import them. Eliminating them in the media folder doesn't cure the problem because the pointers are still in the browser. I tried repeatedly to delete them quickly, but the program would crash too fast.

In the end, I did locate a backup and launch it. I had to re-link all the media, but it saved some time...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Nov 10, 2015 at 7:41:20 pm

[Mitch Ives] "A tough lesson learned. One of the advantages (sarcasm intentional) to having been forced onto CC."

I'm unclear reading this how the PSB format is a CC related issue? The PSB format has been around for more than a decade dating back to at least Photoshop 8.0 (when they first introduced the original CS bundle in 2003) and is used for large file sizes that you need to retain Photoshop layering on. PSB files can handle resolution of 300,000 by 300,000, and can be 16 or 32 bit images (standard PSD's stop at 30,000 by 30,000). PSB files have been around for 12+ years already.

I'm glad you found a work around. If you don't need the PSB format, run a script (or action within Photoshop) that opens and saves them out as something more manageable for your workflow.

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Nov 10, 2015 at 9:12:33 pm

[Ryan Holmes] "I'm unclear reading this how the PSB format is a CC related issue? The PSB format has been around for more than a decade dating back to at least Photoshop 8.0 (when they first introduced the original CS bundle in 2003) and is used for large file sizes that you need to retain Photoshop layering on."

All I can say is that I go back to 1.0 of PS, and at no time have I ever seen a document that was created in PSD somehow managing to become a PSB in the workflow process. So this is something new for me, and since I'm in PS about every other day, I tend to see this as an aberration. I redid the same workflow in CS6 just to see, and it stayed in PSD all the way. Not sure what to make of that, other than something may be different in CC. Not a problem now that I know about it...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Target disk mode
on Nov 14, 2015 at 3:17:57 am

Yes we still have target disk mode and works with thunderbolt as well as FireWire.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]