FORUMS: list search recent posts

Walter Murch - Part 2

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
Walter Murch - Part 2
on Oct 29, 2015 at 12:31:01 pm

The second part of Rick Young's interview.

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1744-part-two-walter-murch-talks-4...

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
Re: Walter Murch - Part 2
on Oct 29, 2015 at 1:48:52 pm

Thank you for that Oliver. I loved the Marlon Brando story, although I don't know if I believe Brando at all. As for shooting wide to reframe - well it's fortunate that John Ford and Hitchcock are too dead to be infuriated by the concept - on the other hand, they probably couldn't get a job in today's Hollywood, so what does it matter.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Oct 29, 2015 at 7:29:53 pm

[Herb Sevush] "on the other hand, they probably couldn't get a job in today's Hollywood, so what does it matter.
"

Hey, I wanna tell you about my new movie's Kickstarter. It's based on a French-language novel by these two dudes writing under a pseudonym...don't worry about the name of the book or the authors because, trust me, you never heard of 'em...

....and well, to be honest, I was trying to get the rights to this one book of theirs I liked a lot, but I didn't get it, so this is my second favorite book by them.

Also, I had this great idea for the female lead, fantastic...but she had to drop out, so I'm working with my second choice for that too.

The movie's gonna be vaguely creepy and hard to follow. very subtle, see. Lots of symbolism and stuff. There's, like, this retired detective, and he's supposed to check up on the wife of an old acquaintance, but he starts falling for her, except she jumps off a tower, but he's too dizzy to help her and she dies.

Then he sees this other girl, and it turns out that she was impersonating the first girl, so her death wasn't a suicide it was murder. He decides, nbd, we can be happy, then THAT girl dies.

It sounds kind of weird, and it is, and the book is really hard to adapt. I hated the first two screenplays I got, so I fired both of those guys. The third screenwriter is doing okay....

...but yeah, that's my movie. A creepy version of my second choice for adapting a novel you never heard of, starring my second choice for the lead, now working with the third different writer for the screenplay.

Did I mention there are nuns? Because there are nuns. I don't know what they're going to do in the movie, but everybody loves nuns, right?

Anyway, since the stalker detective guy gets dizzy, and because you're supposed to feel dizzy when you're watching it, that's what I'm going to call it.

DIZZY, A Film by Alfie Hitchcock.

I'm trying to raise $11,500 to make it. For a pledge of $500, I'll give you a nun bobblehead."

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 29, 2015 at 7:43:14 pm

[Tim Wilson] " There's, like, this retired detective, and he's supposed to check up on the wife of an old acquaintance, but he starts falling for her, except she jumps off a tower, but he's too dizzy to help her and she dies."

Vertigo is on my short list of the 5 greatest movies of all time, possibly influenced by the fact my mother took me to see it when I was about six and since I could not possibly process it in any rational way it has been warping my mind ever since.

A friend of mine once introduced the notion that the movie is a depiction of what goes thru Jimmy Stewart's mind in the moments before he falls from the building at the beginning of the film, until his death when he lands. It's as good as any way to make sense of the absolutely dream like nature of every moment of that film. Watch it and notice how there are very few background extras in what is supposed to be San Francisco - all you see is Jimmy and Kim Novak walking thru empty streets.

If there was one film I would have liked to interview Hitchcock about, that would be the one. On the other hand I don't think he would have had much use for re-framing.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Oct 29, 2015 at 8:56:35 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Vertigo is on my short list of the 5 greatest movies of all time"

After 50 years straight of Citizen Kane at #1, the Sight and Sound critics poll just this summer named Vertigo as the greatest movie of all time. With 864 critics voting this time, I think we can call this a statistically significant assessment.

But it's also kind of hard to explain. LOL

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Oct 29, 2015 at 10:05:10 pm

[Tim Wilson] "After 50 years straight of Citizen Kane at #1"

I love Vertigo, but that's just critics trying to be oh so clever.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, "In this world, Elwood, you must be" - she always called me Elwood - "In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant." Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Nov 10, 2015 at 7:26:06 pm

[Herb Sevush] "As for shooting wide to reframe"

Wouldn't it be grand to also have the color depth to work with?

Attendees of the Supermeet a few years ago, when it was still the FCPUG, featuring the esteemed Mr. Murch will recall his position on re-framing voiced during that address - in that he loved the idea of being able to re-purpose a wider shot into a medium, CU, or ECU as desired... sort of a French reverse, just tightening it up to get a new shot. Three for the price of one.

Terrific. Here's what bothers me a bit.. the optics don't change. Do we not use things called "lenses" anymore? Is there any consequence to depth of field or circle of confusion or MTF? Tempting to flip that "M" upside down for effect.

Also seems like the interview was edited... of course it was -- is it just me or is there that much purism that the second camera was left green and soft for effect?

If you can find it, there is also an interview with post supervisor Michael Cioni on this forum...
https://library.creativecow.net/kaufman_debra/The-Girl-with-the-Dragon-Tatt...

worth a read-through, a valid strategy, especially if you don't have very good actors, because it allows you to stitch performances together in-frame across takes. Mumbling or not.

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Nov 10, 2015 at 7:42:40 pm

[Joseph Owens] "
If you can find it, there is also an interview with post supervisor Michael Cioni on this forum..."

The thing is that while I think Fincher is a fine director, with all his 5K folderol his version of "The Girl with ..." is no better, and probably not as good as, the original Swedish version, which probably cost a third as much to make.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Nov 11, 2015 at 6:31:01 pm

Here we totally agree, Herb. The original with subtitles is every bit as compelling as the remake. IMO Hollywood didn't screw anything up with the remake - they just didn't really advance the ball all that much either. The original is as atmospherically compelling as the remake AND was plowing new cinematic turf - rather than mostly recreating an existing plot - even If both re-tilled the landscape of the novels.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]