FORUMS: list search recent posts

A Special Thanks to the Courageous Dissenters!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
J Hussar
A Special Thanks to the Courageous Dissenters!
on Jul 2, 2011 at 5:31:12 pm

I want to thank those who voiced it out, loud and intensely, about the missing features in FCPX.

Without you Apple would have thought they had a victory in cutting out a slew of features that pros use. Without you the news-media wouldn't have known anything was wrong. Without you, and other users around the world would have all felt alone in our frustration.

Since we have so courageously let our voices be heard, Apple has been forced to acknowledge the apps shortcomings. In this may be the start of some real fixes and much faster than planned (if they were planned at all before we made so much noise).

Apple has had to quickly say through Pogue's column that restored features are coming! They have had to realize that it may be important to listen to users, not just themselves in their Cupertino echo chamber. They must consider the thoughts of who they sell their software to.

Because of us Adobe and Avid have been motivated to lower prices for those who are seeking a life raft. Thousands of dollars saved. Hope restored.

And for the cheerleaders, you got what you wanted anyway - why was it so necessary to shut down the dissenters? You had the abridged app you dreamed of with easy magnetic metadata - you had won your sad victory. But realize, because of the dissenters you will get even more features - you may not want them, but you may find someday you might need them. At that moment you can stop and thank us for making your work easier.

Finally, and forgive my hyperbole but, if we only had apologists we would never make a better world, accepting the status quo is often accepting tyranny, accepting a form of slavery of thought - the dissenters bring life and freedom into discussions and the world.

My profound thanks to the others who had the courage to step up - too many to be named. My hat is off to those who refused to drink the kool-aid of complacency.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
Re: A Special Thanks to the Courageous Dissenters!
on Jul 2, 2011 at 5:56:15 pm

You Luddite whiner complainer griper. It's only a tool. Apple isn't holding a gun to your head, you don't have to buy it. You still have 7. You just fear the change. It's a revolution paradigm evolution. Apple is on the cutting edge, it's only the beginning. 1.0. You just want things 90% don't use! It's all there for you, they just moved it and you're too lazy to look! Or you don't "get it". Underneath it's more powerful than a hightech super locomotive with magnetic rails!! Move into the 21st century! What are you, Amish?

1.0. Hater

(leave anything out that should be retired...permanently?)

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jul 2, 2011 at 6:57:17 pm

To J Hussar and Jamie:

First, my context. I haven't complained about what FCPX may lack as a v1.0 -- in fact I posted many gripes in this Winter, mostly on Ken Stone's forum, about the lame, tired old interface, being as it is a metaphor for Source & Record tape decks (Viewer & Canvas), film tracks ganged together in a synchronizer or on flatbed platters (the Timeline), and the FCP browser which I called a "crappy version of the Mac Finder."

In other words, functional as FCP7 is, the "mixed metaphor" of the interface can definitely stand some reinvention. I'm ready to have FCPX rewire my habits.

And I have also said I will use FCPX to teach my high school class, as there is no reason to learn the old interface, unless you are attending a trade school and need to see the history of film editing and NLE in detail.

HOWEVER, I agree with J Hussar, and disagree with name-calling Jaime in this regard: Apple, who can certainly afford to, could have announced the eventual fade-out of FCS3 "like a man" in a public statement. And then allowed pro users to keep buying, updating or even pay a "maintenance" fee to keep current seats working through the inevitably buggy transition to Lion and whatever follows. And allowed FCS3 to be licensed for additional seats. In fact, it would have been a windfall as pro houses would have hoarded dozens and hundreds of licenses, figuring it is cheaper to keep running FCP7 for a few years, than jump to another platform and retrain, convert, etc etc.

I have been a photographer and filmmaker since 1973, and have lived through more tech evolutions and transitions than most. Don't call me a Luddite, punk, as Clint Eastwood might say.

The point is that seldom has a transition been handled with such a sudden, peremptory pull-the-plug "eff you" to a large segment of loyal customers. Certainly not by a huge company that could afford to be more accommodating. This kind of treatment is usually the behavior of a small company that suddenly cannot pay the rent and folds over a weekend. Not a Fortune 500 leader.

So that is my complaint. If you were driving a GMC pickup on Monday, and went into the dealer for a repair on Tuesday only to learn GM has dropped the pickup line, is recalling all existing new trucks off the lot, back to the factory, and is now selling only the Chevy Volt, imperfect as it is, because "it's awesome and it's the future" you would be apoplectic.

That is essentially what Apple did overnight to the FCP market.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Jul 2, 2011 at 7:32:01 pm

Jamie was being sarcastic. He's taken a lot of heat for pointing out the obvious to those who prefer a rosier tint when observing Apple's recent activities. So, in the effort to keep his comments sharp, like a good cheddar, he hid the sarcasm - maybe a little too well. But still enjoyable, nonetheless.

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jul 2, 2011 at 8:11:53 pm

I fully agree! My sarcasm already noted by another, this was just a short list of the boiler plate squawking a "few" of us have had to contend with...now, after a week of all of us seeing how flawed this platform is, and how disingenuously Apple rolled out their product and the way they responded to the much deserved criticism's, seeing Abobe and Avid step up....I think it's time to permanently retire the pejoratives and patronizing content from the defenders...who still have many points and opinions worthy of debate, I just think we need to discard the tired old patronizing spin and appreciate the OP for acknowledging our thoughts and voices without derision....I only brought them here to tear them down, once and for all... ;)

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jul 2, 2011 at 11:23:41 pm

Sorry Jamie, so many attitudes on so many threads, I didn't realize your take had a sardonic edge!

YES, I have heard enough of weak defenses of Apple's behavior. Stockholders I guess. In the spirit that these folks tell me to "get over it" I say exactly the same to the Apologists: "Get over it. Apple behaved badly, like any other mega-corp, end of story. Accept that they are at fault, and leave us to nurse our wounds, seek satisfaction, whatever we need to do. Count yourself lucky that you lost nothing.

For those that like the new app, and those working hard to discover how it works... keep posting to the "FCPX Techniques" forum. I'll continue to accumulate an ad hoc tutorial from all the good advice.

Meanwhile, for those of us who will need to form a "Former Users Group" or FUG, to support each other and keep our FCP7 seats running, keep the faith.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Jul 2, 2011 at 7:51:31 pm

Jaime - " You Luddite whiner complainer griper. It's only a tool."

Yo... fanboy....you're only a tool... ;-)

Tom Daigon
Avid DS / Premiere Pro / After Effects Editor
http://www.hdshotsandcuts.com

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jul 2, 2011 at 8:57:52 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "You Luddite whiner complainer griper."

I almost 'breathed' my coffee! Hilarious!

Look at the price we pay for thinking different!

Off to the gulags for us!

Return to posts index

Glen Hurd
on Jul 2, 2011 at 7:28:12 pm

The irony.
Apple's famous 1984 ad was a slam against those who walk in lock-step - while covered in dust and sitting on hard benches.
Remember the voice on the screen?

"Today, we celebrate the first glorious rewrite of Apple's flagship.

We have created, for the first time in all history, an editor of pure ideology.

Where each worker may bloom secure from the pests of contradictory and confusing timelines.

Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful a weapon than any gathering of broadcast editors on Earth.

We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause, one project . . . and . . . for many of you . . . one client.

Our enemies shall talk themselves to death and we will bury them with their own confusion . . .

as long as I prevail!"

Too bad the girl with the hammer isn't wearing an Avid or Adobe logo on her shirt.
Or it could just be blank, to show how free her mind really is.

:)

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 2, 2011 at 8:00:33 pm

[Glen Hurd] "The irony.
Apple's famous 1984 ad was a slam against those who walk in lock-step - while covered in dust and sitting on hard benches.
Remember the voice on the screen?

"Today, we celebrate the first glorious rewrite of Apple's flagship.

We have created, for the first time in all history, an editor of pure ideology.

Where each worker may bloom secure from the pests of contradictory and confusing timelines.

Our Unification of Thoughts is more powerful a weapon than any gathering of broadcast editors on Earth.

We are one people, with one will, one resolve, one cause, one project . . . and . . . for many of you . . . one client.

Our enemies shall talk themselves to death and we will bury them with their own confusion . . .

as long as I prevail!"

Too bad the girl with the hammer isn't wearing an Avid or Adobe logo on her shirt.
Or it could just be blank, to show how free her mind really is."

Nice.
I'm smelling another parody coming.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 2, 2011 at 8:08:27 pm

[J Hussar] "I want to thank those who voiced it out, loud and intensely, about the missing features in FCPX.

Without you Apple would have thought they had a victory in cutting out a slew of features that pros use. Without you the news-media wouldn't have known anything was wrong. Without you, and other users around the world would have all felt alone in our frustration.

Since we have so courageously let our voices be heard, Apple has been forced to acknowledge the apps shortcomings. In this may be the start of some real fixes and much faster than planned (if they were planned at all before we made so much noise).

Apple has had to quickly say through Pogue's column that restored features are coming! They have had to realize that it may be important to listen to users, not just themselves in their Cupertino echo chamber. They must consider the thoughts of who they sell their software to.

Because of us Adobe and Avid have been motivated to lower prices for those who are seeking a life raft. Thousands of dollars saved. Hope restored.

And for the cheerleaders, you got what you wanted anyway - why was it so necessary to shut down the dissenters? You had the abridged app you dreamed of with easy magnetic metadata - you had won your sad victory. But realize, because of the dissenters you will get even more features - you may not want them, but you may find someday you might need them. At that moment you can stop and thank us for making your work easier.

Finally, and forgive my hyperbole but, if we only had apologists we would never make a better world, accepting the status quo is often accepting tyranny, accepting a form of slavery of thought - the dissenters bring life and freedom into discussions and the world.

My profound thanks to the others who had the courage to step up - too many to be named. My hat is off to those who refused to drink the kool-aid of complacency."

Heretic! Heretic! Non-believer! *shouts from a pitchfork wielding mob*
You are a heretic who is in congress with the beast, and ye shall be burnt at the stake to atone for your sins!

Scott Sheriff
Director

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Matt Penn
on Jul 2, 2011 at 10:26:01 pm

I reall like your Red Adair quote. Gonna have to remember that one.

Matthew Penn
Post Production Supervisor
Citi

Return to posts index

Gary Pollard
on Jul 2, 2011 at 11:03:35 pm

Hmm. How are you a "courageous dissenter" when your view has been the MAJORITY one here for at least the past two weeks?

We really are seeing a whole new world of definitions here.

How long will it take for those who hate everything about Final Cut Pro X to realize the Final Cut Pro X forum is possibly not the most suitable place to be?

I've long said that Apple (or Jobs) are essentially autocratic Fascists who will drop a hardware, software, or product line - or try to destroy one, like Flash - any time they want. They'll also overcharge you for it. The only thing that has ever protected its users is they have had minority market share, and have needed to capitulate so often.

Apple fans have argued with me, because that's been okay as long as they are THEIR autocratic Fascists.

This isn't new behaviour for Apple at all (and it may yet pay off if this turns out to be a genuine step forward), yet I am still open on the possibilities for FCP X, when - ironically enough - it's the LONGTIME apologists who have begun to see the light.

Think I'll go over to the Macromedia forum now, to try to dominate it with talk about how lousy Macromedia is and call the users "apologists".

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 3, 2011 at 1:25:54 am

[Gary Pollard] "Hmm. How are you a "courageous dissenter" when your view has been the MAJORITY one here for at least the past two weeks?"

OK, so as one of the dissenters, my history goes back a a lot farther than last week. I was a dissenter, naysayer, skeptic and more even before the NAB Supermeet. Even before this forum existed, when this stuff was posted in the Business, Art of Edit and the FCP forums. And you can do a search and go back and see what I said, and what others said. If you do that you will see that this was an unpopular opinion then, and remained that way until a few of the big guns declared it a dud.
Just sayin'

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Andrew Landini
on Jul 3, 2011 at 5:42:15 am

It goes back a bit further... posted in 2005 to lafcpug.

Steve gave me permission to post this. He has taken the job as Sr. Product Manager for FCP.
Interesting times ahead.

-----------------------

The main reason this is good is because Apple is putting in someone with a professional video background coupled with extensive product background. This bucks the trend, where such a job is often held by, at worst, a marketing guy and, at best, a software engineer. Almost never a post-production veteran.

In addition, Steve has always made it a point to take the input from users and customers
and to try to implement those ideas into the product. I think this is a good sign for FCP owners and editors, since it reinforces Apple's commitment to the pro video marketplace.

Since Steve is largely reponsible for the Symphony color-correction workflow, I hope we'll see improved color-correction routines in future versions of FCP, among other things.

Interesting indeed...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]