FORUMS: list search recent posts

installed FCP X but no prores codec

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anhtu Vu
installed FCP X but no prores codec
on Oct 27, 2015 at 11:35:27 pm

I just installed FCP X on my new iMac but i don't see the the Prores Codec available in apps like Mpeg stream clip. Do i need to install anything else besides FCP X ? Thx

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: installed FCP X but no prores codec
on Oct 28, 2015 at 12:34:38 am

Either the menu Final Cut Pro > Download Additional Content or check the App Store and it would appear as an Update.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 28, 2015 at 1:51:15 am

[Anhtu Vu] "Do i need to install anything else besides FCP X ? Thx"

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1396?locale=en_US :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 28, 2015 at 1:56:42 am

That would be it. You can download it direct from Apple's site as well.

Return to posts index

Anhtu Vu
on Oct 28, 2015 at 2:01:01 am

Does this mean i don't even need FCP X in order to get Prores ? I bought FCP X but never use it, i'm on Adobe CC and surprisingly use Mpeg Stream clip unite a bit. I thought i need to install FCP X or Motion in order to be able to output in prores….

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 28, 2015 at 2:09:44 am

One could download the free trial of FCPX and then download the ProApps Codecs. When the FCPX trial ends, the codecs remain usable. If one wanted to buy something and get the codecs you could buy Apple Compressor for $50 rather than FCPX for $299. That might be especially useful since it seems you're primary interested in using something for compression (MPEGStreamclip).

Compressor has become a very good H.264 encoder as well. Apple's recent improvement may make it almost as good as x264 (and better than MainConcept from what I've heard). Compressor is IntelQuickSync too.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 28, 2015 at 4:18:03 am

[Anhtu Vu] "I thought i need to install FCP X or Motion in order to be able to output in prores…."

You need an Apple Pro App installed to install the Codecs. Though as Craig points out, Compressor would have worked.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 28, 2015 at 5:38:04 am

If you're gonna spend $50 to get codecs, get Motion.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 28, 2015 at 3:49:46 pm

Keep in mind that if you download the FCPX trial, you pay nothing. When the trial expires you keep the codecs.

The OP mentioned using MPEGStreamclip so my thinking is if it's encoding he's interested in then Compressor is well worth the $50.

I run into this all the time, primarily for my live streaming consulting. Their focused on live production rather than post. Usually they want to do a local recording in ProRes so I point out the FCPX trial route. If they need to post encode the local recording for VOD delivery I suggest getting Compressor which will also get them the codecs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]