FORUMS: list search recent posts

Verdict: FCP X & El Capitan?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Ives
Verdict: FCP X & El Capitan?
on Oct 25, 2015 at 6:00:48 pm

It's been pretty quiet since the release, and no comments on 10.11.1 as near as I can tell. So, any deal breakers left... and did the .1 update do anything in the way of fixes for FCP X and plugins?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Verdict: FCP X & El Capitan?
on Oct 25, 2015 at 9:58:38 pm

Just wait. I've had some weird mouse issues and things like that.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 26, 2015 at 7:04:31 pm

Power consumption for periphs like the black magic mini monitor go through the roof. I recommend you guys wait if you can.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 26, 2015 at 10:02:11 am

Give me one compelling reason to upgrade to it? (I know of one possible reason for some people)...

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Oct 26, 2015 at 12:54:11 pm

So far I have seen no issues other than the wonky timecode display in the dashboard. I have worked on a couple of small projects with no problems.

Things I have noticed:

Promise Pegasus2 is 100 MB/sec faster both read and write. I have done nothing except update FCP X and OSX.

Application and projects open faster.

Relinking is much faster.

All of my plug-ins work fine so far. I do not use AU plug-ins in FCP X so that is not an issue for me.

Next week I will be pushing harder and see if I find anything.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Oct 26, 2015 at 2:05:15 pm

Might want to read this first....

http://www.zdnet.com/article/os-x-10-11-el-capitan-bugs-bugs-and-more-bugs/

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 26, 2015 at 2:12:44 pm

This is the key quote in the article for me and why I am steering clear of it for the time being.

"There's a good chance that I could be lucky and dodge (or at least work around) any issues I encounter, but quite honestly I can't find anything new in El Capitan that's worth potentially wreaking a working system over."

BTW - the one reason to potentially upgrade is if you're using 10bit material and want to output without 3rd party i/o cards. It sounds like that is in there for El Capitan.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Oct 26, 2015 at 9:48:22 pm

10-bit output to the GUI in El Capitan? How? Do you have source for this?

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Oct 27, 2015 at 6:28:18 pm

Dennis - Any issues with Yosemite 10.5.5 and Premiere and other CC 2015 apps? I'm on 10.5.3 and it's rock solid with Creative Cloud apps

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 27, 2015 at 6:53:26 pm

Andy, if it's working great for you, stick with it! That said, I know of no major issues with Yosemite 10.10.5

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Oct 26, 2015 at 3:09:48 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "Might want to read this first....

http://www.zdnet.com/article/os-x-10-11-el-capitan-bugs-bugs-and-more-bugs/"

It's probably just me, but I didn't find that article particularly useful. I do appreciate your posting it though. All information is worth considering.

First, he says wait for the next release... well its out already.

Second, he really gave no specifics as to any issues he's found. I'm guessing it's because he was a beta tester, under an NDA and doesn't want to ruin the relationship? I can understand that.

We're having no issues on any of the regular machines and see plenty of advantages. I haven't installed it on any of the FCP X machines because they're all in the middle of projects. One is about finished, which is why I created this post.

It appears that well just have to stop buying new machines and wireless input devices until it seems like FCP X has caught up to it?

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 26, 2015 at 5:02:38 pm

Well that was some light reading. There wasn't one single bug listed in that article. There was a link within the article to a support forum, but not exactly a comprehensive FCP X related list.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Oct 26, 2015 at 3:00:57 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "Give me one compelling reason to upgrade to it? (I know of one possible reason for some people)...
"

Well, for one... the current Apple wireless keyboard and wireless mouse require it.

Second, it's a much more responsive OS. We have it on some non-FCP X machines and it's notable.

Third, the cursor enlargement feature is handy for finding your cursor on multiple monitor systems, or very large monitors with darker interfaces like FCP X or Premiere.

Fourth, speed increases on disk arrays, as has been reported here.

Let's face it, there are some serious under-the-hood changes here, and many companies like Microsoft have been a bit derelict in their duties in terms of taking it seriously. I'm surprised that as the Adobe guy that your team hasn't embraced it. CC runs much quicker on a nMP with El Capitan. Even a MacBook Air runs better with it.

The surprising part for me is that the FCP X guys weren't ready for this. I mean you guys are on the same team, right?

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 26, 2015 at 4:22:06 pm

The FCP X guys were probably working on El Capitan!

I clean installed El Capitan and have been giving it a whirl on a separate drive. An old G raid eSATA drive hooked up to my iMac via a USB 3 to eSATA cable. Takes a bit longer to load than the fusion drive in the iMac, but after that I can't tell the difference.

It definitely has been a stabler, faster system than Yosemite. The only bug I've found so far is the timecode window bug and really, who cares about that one. All the other stuff I've heard of I've seen none of. But I haven't given my big plugins a whirl yet. mFlare, mObject, that sort of stuff. But slicex seems ok. Universe seems to work fine. Color Finale works (but I haven't done much with it).

Performance wise everything seems quicker and more responsive, BUT, my Yosemite install was getting pretty funky and I was just waiting on El Capitan to do a clean install instead of redoing Yosemite. Maybe I had some bad fonts or something. But I've been installing stuff on a need only basis and the system runs much better.

The Pegasus R4 (TB 1) seems to run faster with write speeds off the charts and read speeds around 370.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Oct 26, 2015 at 4:35:11 pm

[Bret Williams] "The FCP X guys were probably working on El Capitan! "

LOL... I love a good chuckle.

Thanks for the info. I'll be putting it on a system in a week. I'll test the Pegasus R2 before and after as well. Since it hasn't really created any issues with any other programs, I was mostly thinking it would come down to FCP X plugins. The timecode display is curious... not sure how the FCP X guys didn't notice that, since everyone else seems to have?

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 26, 2015 at 4:45:47 pm

I'm guessing the TC thing is just a system font issue. I've seen a few iPhone apps go wonky too because likely they were designed to fit a specific space with a specific font size and utilize the system font, so Apple changes it ever so slightly and oops!

But honestly, if you don't know which field is hours and which is frames, etc....

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Oct 26, 2015 at 4:54:59 pm

[Bret Williams] "But honestly, if you don't know which field is hours and which is frames, etc...."

If that's all it is, then yes I agree. I can live with that...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 26, 2015 at 4:56:51 pm

Others have had more serious issues. But the TC one is on every mac at the Apple Store.

If you're going to try it obviously a clean install on a separate drive/partition is the way to go.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 26, 2015 at 7:47:15 pm

As if on cue, Larry Jordan talks about upgrading to El Cap (check out the comments section for user feedback).

https://larryjordan.com/articles/what-i-learned-upgrading-to-el-capitan/

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 26, 2015 at 7:53:57 pm

Another waste of a read. Let me paraphrase... Larry updated his OS. He'll get back to us on what he finds later. Thanks Larry.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 26, 2015 at 8:15:33 pm

[Bret Williams] "Another waste of a read. Let me paraphrase... Larry updated his OS. He'll get back to us on what he finds later. Thanks Larry."

Did you read the comments? People mention specific problems such as iZotope plugins.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 27, 2015 at 2:01:47 am

I read both the what Larry wrote and the comments. I have another machine around the house that has Yosemite. I am going to add two partitions installing Yosemite on one, El Capitan on another, and the third will be reserved for project files, even render files. Not sure if there will be any performance issues as a result so comments are very much appreciated.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 27, 2015 at 2:47:16 am

Here's another bit of info from fellow COW user Tim Jones.

"Good input David - also be aware that the new "locked out" folders in 10.11 include /bin, /sbin, /etc, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin, /private/root, /System, and /dev. If you or one of your tools has placed anything into any of those locations, the change / addition will be deleted with no warning or explanation. Things will just stop working.

My recommendation to all - if you don't have a really, really, really compelling reason to update to 10.11, DON'T.

If you MUST, and you use BRU Producer's Edition, make sure that you upgrade to the latest version (3.1.16 build 203 at this time) to insure El Capitan compatibility. Also, if you're running ATTO HBAs, be sure to update your drivers and firmware from the attotech.com site as Apple is still downgrading the drivers.

HPT users are okay with the current drivers."

https://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/3/971087

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Oct 27, 2015 at 2:55:17 am

I beta tested El Cap and I'm not going into all the problems I've had but there have been MANY!!!!
I haven't tested FCP X because I don't edit on this laptop.
I did a clean install which fixed a couple of the problem but created others.

I WILL STAY AWAY UNTIL ANOTHER 1 or 2 UPDATES COME OUT.

WORST OS X UPDATE EVER!!!! And it was supposed to be a clean up job.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Oct 27, 2015 at 6:24:43 pm

I'm feeling adventurous. I need to do clean instal of my Mac Pro (thanks to a bunch of weird OS X and FCPX issues I just can't resolve) so from what I read here, I figure I may as well jump to El Capitan.

Fingers crossed....

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 27, 2015 at 6:40:10 pm

It's not the end of the world - things still work, but expect weirdness like sometimes you have to restart the whole mac for Share Exports to work. Sometimes my share just sits at '0' for no reason.

And hey, Pinned Tabs are cool and the new notes is a nice upgrade.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Oct 27, 2015 at 7:24:35 pm

That'll still be a step up from my current mess. Sharing either doesn't work at all, or it burns up so many CPU cycles, I can barely move the mouse.

I've got a clean install down to a couple of hours work, plus the occasional cursing when I go to use something I forgot to put back, so I'll give 10.11 a week or so, then revert back if I need to. And surely a bug fix FCPX update can't be too far away?

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Oct 27, 2015 at 9:08:56 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Did you read the comments? People mention specific problems such as iZotope plugins"

To isotope's credit, they had sent me an email already explaining how to get around this. They say they are working on a fix...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 27, 2015 at 4:28:08 am

[Bret Williams] "Another waste of a read. Let me paraphrase... Larry updated his OS. He'll get back to us on what he finds later. Thanks Larry."

Sometimes I wonder if he gets paid by the word.

Return to posts index

Sandy Baldwin
on Feb 8, 2016 at 3:51:58 pm

Yea, Timecode display issue is fixed in new FCP 10.2.3 Update!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]