FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple at the FCPExchange event in LA yesterday.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Apple at the FCPExchange event in LA yesterday.
on Oct 25, 2015 at 5:54:29 pm

Went to LA yesterday for the FCP Exchange event and it was great to hangout with so many friends and put faces to familiar names.

I did think I would report on one statement Apples Luke Tristram made in his presentation that sheds light to a thing that's been discussed here not long ago.

Apple's commitment to the on-going development of FCP X.

There has been speculation here about whether Apple might be more or less "done" with it's development.

As always we couldn't record anything, but nobody said anything about my taking notes, so I have the exact language he used on the subject written down...

He noted that the development of X will continue and used the phrase "at about the same rate as we've established" - And showed a night hearted "mice type credit roll" listing the major and minor updates that the software has been through over the 20 plus released updates so far over 4 years. So that would be roughly 5 plus released revisions a year so far.

Apple always uses careful language - so the "about" is important in my mind, as is the fact that in my opinion, a MAJOR update is one that *I* want to use - whereas a "minor" update is one that other editors might use. ; )

FWIW

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
Re: Apple at the FCPExchange event in LA yesterday.
on Oct 25, 2015 at 5:58:27 pm

[Bill Davis] "in my opinion, a MAJOR update is one that *I* want to use - whereas a "minor" update is one that other editors might use. ; )"

LOL... that's a keeper...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 26, 2015 at 1:43:03 pm

Bill,

What are some of the details of the event? Did you get a feel for the make-up of the crowd? For example, experienced film/TV folks or others? Largely local (LA) or from the outside?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 26, 2015 at 3:44:35 pm

Sorry I couldn't make it out to talk shop with you this time, though like Oliver I'm curious about more details from the event.

[Bill Davis] "He noted that the development of X will continue and used the phrase "at about the same rate as we've established""

The rate of development they established when X was newer or the rate they established that has people complaining about the rate of development? ;)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 26, 2015 at 4:53:02 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "The rate of development they established when X was newer or the rate they established that has people complaining about the rate of development? ;)"

; )

I interpreted it as that Apple giving us a specific commitment to the software to develop it over the next four years at about the same pace they've developed it over the past four years. There have clearly been times of tremendous progress and forward movement - big new changes - and periods of tune up and adjustment and bug fixing. (Pretty much like how ALL software develops today, right?)

The unquestionable "take away" from this specific event for me was that the minor meme that Apple sees the software is anything remotely like "complete" - is now thoroughly debunked. As at the NAB and the San Jose events recently, the FCP X Development team was quietly represented in the room - and it appears lots of notes were being taken.

I will confess to one thing. I'm personally fascinated about the breadth of how X is used across ALL editing disciplines - not just the so-called "high end" as important as that certainly is. So I during one long chat with a dev team member I've known for a while, I tried to skate a bit around what he couldn't say and glean some at least vague idea of how diverse the various worlds of general purpose X users are. I failed UTTERLY.

I have a sneaking feeling that theres REALLY interesting work being done on the edges of editing in X - maybe stuff like scientific data collection, or fine arts, or - for all I know - something like "genealogy/family history" where the X database could really shine for collating and accessing video content - and I'd love to learn something about folks doing that type of "fringe" stuff - but alas, It was a spur of the moment line of questioning and like I said, I couldn't even find a way to formulate my questions well enough to learn ANYTHING.

Go figure.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 26, 2015 at 5:39:39 pm

[Bill Davis] " I tried to skate a bit around what he couldn't say and glean some at least vague idea of how diverse the various worlds of general purpose X users are. I failed UTTERLY. "

Haha. I'm sure the people at Apple, especially the ones that have been around for a long time, have become very good at not spilling the beans (or even jostling the container) about things like that.

[Bill Davis] "I have a sneaking feeling that theres REALLY interesting work being done on the edges of editing in X - maybe stuff like scientific data collection, or fine arts,"

You probably already have, but have to talked with Jim Wiseman here at the COW? He's done, and is doing, some non-traditional things (for lack of a better term) and I also know he just recently took the plunge with X.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 26, 2015 at 11:31:14 pm

I haven't talked to Jim directly but I suspect it would be a great time. A long time ago I realized that if all I do is follow the work of folks who do their work exactly like I do mine - I end up largely with work that looks just like everyone elses.

It's been those times where I've seen something "other" than the usual stuff - that I get more inspired. Maybe that's part of why I like X so much. All the new stuff like thinking in "saved ranges" (and exploring how I should even best define what those are) tend to spark new approaches in my thinking.

Something I genuinely love!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 26, 2015 at 4:23:53 pm

Oliver,

4 primary presentations. Mark Bach who did the FCPWorks Direct TV presentation at NAB, Luke Tristram from The Apple X Development Team, Mike Matzdorf, AE of Focus and Sam Mestman from FCPWorks.

Audience was clearly working pros, largely from the Hollywood/ LA area.

In the opening Sam asked the crowd the areas they work in and there was a LOT of diversity in that too. Mostly Features & Documentary, but also TV, Corporate, andeven a Pro Photographer who wants to be more conversant with motion work.

One notable thing was that during the various Q&A sessions, the questions were very specific about workflow - the crowd was largely editors "actively" cutting in X, not just "thinking" about using it.

Lots of experienced help in the room. Not only the presenters, but Jan Kovac Focus Editor was there, Patrick Southern who worked on the OJ television specials - the event turned out to be for a very active audience who had specific technical questions about using X in a large collaborative situation with a big budget on the line - it was THE place to get experienced answers instantly. Many questions on workflow and they covered the range from keywording strategies to on-set best practices to nuts and bolts storyline work. Lots and lots of discussion about Audio in X as well. Both Roles strategies upstream and specific turnover questions for larger shops.

Sam said there will be more of these - possibly another in January after the holidays.

They're in partnership with FCP.co and the presentations were recorded (except Apple, of course) and will go on line when Noah and the FCPWorks team can get them cut and uploaded.

(Personal note: the coolest thing was that it was NOT a boys club. There were easily half a dozen or more accomplished women editors in attendance. Nice!)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 26, 2015 at 4:29:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 26, 2015 at 8:47:08 pm

Great to see you there Bill. We were very happy with the turnout. Videos coming soon. In the meantime, you can see more details and some photos from the first FCP Exchange event over here:

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1740-photos-from-the-first-fcpexch...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]