FORUMS: list search recent posts

Undocumented Feature: Copy selected Effects

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stefan Buhrmester
Undocumented Feature: Copy selected Effects
on Jul 2, 2011 at 4:02:21 pm

Somebody able to get this to work? Especially copying only one selected effect instead everything?

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
Re: Undocumented Feature: Copy selected Effects
on Jul 2, 2011 at 4:27:16 pm

Couldn't get it to single out one effect - but it worked well copying color timing from clip to another. The new color tool by the way, blows away the 3-Way corrector and we were able to stack multiple color effects, masks, vignettes etc - which are far better in quality than Color's, and run them in realtime!

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jul 2, 2011 at 4:48:33 pm

Ok, I figured one out:

1 Click on the little symbol on the upper left of a clip.

2. Open Video Animation.

3. Use the little blue checkboxs and turn off the effects out don't want to copy

4. Option-Apple-C

5. Select the clip you want to paste to and Option-Apple-P. It pastes only the effects that are turned on.

There may be a better way, but that just worked.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 2, 2011 at 4:56:27 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Couldn't get it to single out one effect - but it worked well copying color timing from clip to another. The new color tool by the way, blows away the 3-Way corrector and we were able to stack multiple color effects, masks, vignettes etc - which are far better in quality than Color's, and run them in realtime!"

The Color Board is just begging for an iPad companion app that shows color/saturation/exposure controls at the same time and lets you make multitouch adjustments.

By the way, there are tons of otherwise undocumented keyboard shortcuts -- and even commands that have no shortcut by default and aren't in the menus anywhere (but that can be assigned a shortcut) -- hidden away in the keyboard customization window.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jul 2, 2011 at 5:07:57 pm

Yeah we've kinda been joking about the color board, at $299 FCPX may be the best color timing tool for the money. You really don't need 3rd party plug-ins like Looks or Colorista 2 anymore and it's realtime.

Whatever they did with the Colorsync etc it's just so pristine and much like Resolve in the purity of how color and masks are applied - you can really finesse DSLR footage like nothing I've ever used and I've timed 2 features in Color.

An iPad app with the color board would be fun!

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 2, 2011 at 5:33:15 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Whatever they did with the Colorsync etc it's just so pristine and much like Resolve in the purity of how color and masks are applied - you can really finesse DSLR footage like nothing I've ever used and I've timed 2 features in Color."

FCP X and Resolve both process everything in a 32-bit float color space. Like Resolve, FCP X even stays in that space between stacked corrections. So, for instance, you can blow a clip out to full white with the exposure control in one correction, and then bring it back down in a different correction -- the engine's color space is so large that nothing ever clips in its internal numerical representation.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Jul 2, 2011 at 6:20:03 pm

That's some pretty good news on the color board. I haven't used it too much yet but will be diving into it soon. I wish AJA would get those drivers sorted for my Kona card!!

NT

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Jul 2, 2011 at 6:21:03 pm

Yeah I get the 32-bit thing - everyone claims that PPro, Vegas, Magic Bullet, Color, After Effects etc. but there is a difference to the math somehow, not a programmer or engineer here but there is a finesse here I can't get with these other programs.

Lance Bachelder
Southern California

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 2, 2011 at 8:11:35 pm

[Chris Kenny] "FCP X and Resolve both process everything in a 32-bit float color space. Like Resolve, FCP X even stays in that space between stacked corrections. So, for instance, you can blow a clip out to full white with the exposure control in one correction, and then bring it back down in a different correction -- the engine's color space is so large that nothing ever clips in its internal numerical representation."

An obvious hallmark of a prosumer toy... ;-)

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

jon smitherton
on Jul 3, 2011 at 12:55:38 am

[Chris Kenny] " the engine's color space is so large that nothing ever clips in its internal numerical representation."

Does this mean there is a clipper/broadcast safe always in line? If so, this is a big bonus!

Jon

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jul 5, 2011 at 3:49:27 pm

BTW. I mocked and hated the Color Board cConcept. It had nothing to do with the vectroscope and 3 way color correctors. Come on, when color is all about circles, you've created a square? ! But then after some digging I realized it was the "hue adjustment" tool form the secondaries in Apple Color. That made me hate it less.

Then I used it. I did my tonal correction with my waveform scope open. Everything I needed was there. Then I went for "pleasing color". I was shocked. It worked wonderfully. Added some vignettes, and some secondaries. I'm impressed.

We still need a 3 way color corrector to get accurate colors, especially flesh tones. And I second the notion of the iPad control surface, but not just color controls, but audio faders and transport controls on the iPad. But the currently color controls in FCP X are a pretty good tool once you understand them.

- T.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 5, 2011 at 4:26:54 pm

[Timothy Payton] " But the currently color controls in FCP X are a pretty good tool once you understand them."

Note that you can nudge the controls with the up and down arrows for slightly finer control than you can otherwise get - though for me the gearing seems to be a bit on the crude side overall. Anyone else find this?

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

T. Payton
on Jul 5, 2011 at 4:39:56 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "for me the gearing seems to be a bit on the crude side overall. Anyone else find this?"

Oh yeah that is a negative. Even with nudging the exposure controls are too extreme for me too.

------
T. Payton
OneCreative, Albuquerque

Return to posts index

Ricardo Guerreiro
on Nov 8, 2012 at 2:19:35 pm

Just can┬┤understand why they (´ú┐) can't do a simple drag and drop effect way to copy. Just drag one effect form the inspector of one clip, to the other clip on the timeline... How difficult would that be?!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]