FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tracks vs Roles for Versioning.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
Tracks vs Roles for Versioning.
on Oct 22, 2015 at 1:19:29 am

One of the most nerve wracking - and easiest to screw up - things I do is versioning. Well, until X came along. Set it up right and it's almost impossible to attach the wrong slate to the wrong picture with the wrong audio config.

Took 25 min to set up as they were cut in another NLE but that would have needed doing anyway.

5 spots, 10 versions each, different audio configs and slates... 50 versions total. 17 minutes. Done. 4 more minutes in Compressor to create 30 more versions in 2 different resolutions. So simple it almost made me feel guilty.

Here's some babbling about the experience...

http://fcpxpert.net/2015/10/14/tracks-vs-roles-redux/

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Tracks vs Roles for Versioning.
on Oct 22, 2015 at 7:57:26 pm

Certainly a good example highlighting the flexibility of Roles.

If you have a Avid MC 8.1 or newer I'd be curious to see what you think of their Multiple Mix tool. It's basically a tool that allows you to map any of the 24 audio tracks up to 24 audio outputs and save each configuration.

A description starts on page 12 of the PDF below:
http://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/WhatsNew_MediaComposer_v8.1.p...

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 23, 2015 at 1:44:07 am

[Andrew Kimery] "If you have a Avid MC 8.1 or newer I'd be curious to see what you think of their Multiple Mix tool."

I have 8.4, i'll check it out. I wish i had more reasons to use MC these days, I'm getting very rusty. :-) The nice bit about Roles is that they apply to video as well. So I can made presets for pretty mach any combo of slates, picture, gfx, and audio. Was nice to use just one timeline - and never need to touch it - when outputting all the versions.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 23, 2015 at 2:04:16 am

[Charlie Austin] "Was nice to use just one timeline - and never need to touch it - when outputting all the versions."

Yeah, I don't do much timeline versioning like that on my usual gigs but when I do I'm always worried I'll accidentally mix up the wrong slate and audio or something like that even though I triple check it all.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 23, 2015 at 2:59:27 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Yeah, I don't do much timeline versioning like that on my usual gigs but when I do I'm always worried I'll accidentally mix up the wrong slate and audio or something like that even though I triple check it all."

Me neither, but I've done it a lot over the centuries :-) Never out of X though... When I saw the delivery sheet I was crestfallen. For the reasons you note, it's a real PITA. Then I was like... "Hey, wait a minute... this might work" And it did. I'll never version out of anything else, no matter what the material was cut in. ;-)

I checked out that pdf. I'll mess with it when I can, but on first blush it's, like anything MC, convoluted. Nice feature though...

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 23, 2015 at 4:01:42 pm

[Charlie Austin] "I checked out that pdf. I'll mess with it when I can, but on first blush it's, like anything MC, convoluted. Nice feature though..."

I used it a little bit a year or so ago (just to make a simple split audio preset for a composer) and It's pretty straightforward to use. I just never did anything extensive with it and the example you gave with X seems like the type of problem Avid was trying to address with this particular tool.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 23, 2015 at 8:17:49 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "and It's pretty straightforward to use. I just never did anything extensive with it and the example you gave with X seems like the type of problem Avid was trying to address with this particular tool."

Yeah, played with it a little and it's not too bad. It would help with the audio when versioning for sure. That just leaves the slates, gfx, and picture to not screw up. ;-)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 23, 2015 at 8:25:54 pm

[Charlie Austin] "That just leaves the slates, gfx, and picture to not screw up. ;-)"

One down, three to go. ;)

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 23, 2015 at 3:29:34 pm

A big "Thanks!", Charlie, for taking the time for your always informative write-ups! Reference them all the time. Cheers.

- RK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]