FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve and Linux

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Resolve and Linux
on Oct 18, 2015 at 7:53:12 pm

Given some of the direction that Apple is going I have been giving more thought of migrating to Linux. Has anyone in here have any experience with Resolve and Linux? What is good and not so much? Disappointed a bit with QuickTime in El Capitan at the moment. I have been noticing others have had trouble rendering a QT file out of Fusion, experiencing the same results that I have been.

This is not a choice I am going to make lightly, part of which is due to cost. Look forward to any words of wisdom.

The magnetic timeline, it's magnetic-o-matic!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Resolve and Linux
on Oct 18, 2015 at 8:28:40 pm

[David Mathis] "Given some of the direction that Apple is going"

What direction is this?

[David Mathis] "Disappointed a bit with QuickTime in El Capitan at the moment. I have been noticing others have had trouble rendering a QT file out of Fusion, experiencing the same results that I have been."

This is simply because El Capitan isn't ready for Pro Video use just yet, First releases of Apple software rarely are, it will be fixed shortly, you simply upgraded too early

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 18, 2015 at 8:33:14 pm

You are correct. Looks like I dove in head first, shallow side of the pond.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 19, 2015 at 1:12:58 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Oct 19, 2015 at 1:14:17 am

For me the decision to go WIN rather than Linux is that WIN has a bigger range of video software tool sets. Converters, alternate NLEs, Audio tools etc.

I am comfortable with many OSs so it is not about what I prefer to drive or feel is the most robust. WIN7 Pro 64bit has been so robust for me that the decision of OS is really about other software, not the OS. It seems the Apple OS is causing more grief with quicktime, older software back compatibility etc.

There is also the hardware argument which really just puts Mac Pros out of contention compared to rack mounted PCIe slotted grunt boxes that lend themselves to constant graphics card updating. So no difference with WIN or Linux there. In the three horse race my preferences are WIN, Linux & Mac OS at the moment. That could change if Mac OS only software that did my job better was around.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 19, 2015 at 1:30:51 am

[Michael Gissing] "WIN7 Pro 64bit has been so robust for me that the decision of OS is really about other software, not the OS. It seems the Apple OS is causing more grief with quicktime, older software back compatibility etc."

The problem with this is that you're comparing a situation while you sit on an OS from 2009. That would be Snow Leopard by comparison. If you want to talk about grief and backward compatibility, why not install WIndows 10 and get back with us?

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 19, 2015 at 2:00:15 am

[Gary Huff] "The problem with this is that you're comparing a situation while you sit on an OS from 2009. That would be Snow Leopard by comparison. If you want to talk about grief and backward compatibility, why not install WIndows 10 and get back with us"

Actually no. Software companies like Blackmagic & Adobe are releasing latest versions that work with Win 7, 8 & 10. So there is no penalty by sitting on an older robust and debugged (relatively) OS. Apple is forcing OS upgrades to make sure the latest version of X is optimal. My old Mac Pro is still on SL precisely for this reason, so that FCP 7 still functions on the odd occasion that it is required.

So to my point that I prefer WIN over Linux over Mac OS, the forced update cycle on Mac is precisely the problem. The fact that I can take my time going up to WIN 10 when it is safe and stable is actually the strongest argument in favour of my preferences.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Oct 19, 2015 at 7:24:39 am

Michael -

While I'm firmly in the Mac OS camp with no plans to change, I'm curious about your take on Linux vs Windows. The conventional wisdom holds that, as cranky as Windows can be for serious audio and video setups, Unix/Linux is a whole new level of hurt in terms of needing to be a real gear head to get it up and running.

Is this still the case, in your opinion? Based on what I know (likely very little!), I'd be very leery of diving into a Linux setup.

It's all a moot point for me, as I don't need the kind of big iron rigs that Mac doesn't do. But I am interested in where things stand, from someone who knows his stuff.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 19, 2015 at 7:56:06 am

[Jeff Markgraf] "While I'm firmly in the Mac OS camp with no plans to change, I'm curious about your take on Linux vs Windows. The conventional wisdom holds that, as cranky as Windows can be for serious audio and video setups, Unix/Linux is a whole new level of hurt in terms of needing to be a real gear head to get it up and running.

Firstly I haven't found WIN 7 Pro 64bit to be cranky to setup. I try to limit how much different software (NO GAMES) I run on a particular machine and I don't use WIN OS on the internet so I avoid major pains by not running anti virus software. I use Linux Mint on my office laptop as the front end for any internet connection so software updates and downloads go via the Linux OS. All my computers network (about 7, being a mixture of WIN, Mac & Linux) and a couple of tablets & smart phones in the mix (Android) plus a few NAS units.

So my contact with Linux has been both Android and Ubuntu variants like Mint. Linux is not difficult to get to terms with. There is not a lot of install and operator differences between all major OS in my experience. Modern software vendors make installation easy. Linux used to scare people with command line setups and weird disk partitioning but largely that is a thing of the past and if you can install a Mac OS you can install and run many Linux distributions. Resolve requires CentOS and to be fair I have not installed it or configured it so it may be a tad less idiot proof.

So I wouldn't talk anyone out of running Resolve on Linux except for the reasons I outlined, that there is a lot more software that is WIN based so if you want a machine that runs Resolve, Adobe, Fusion, ProTools or Fairlight plus a few other handy tool box programs like Audacity or even Edius or Vegas, then forget Linux. These advantages can also trump Mac OS but to a lesser extent.

If running just Resolve then Linux has the advantage of being able to run networked rendering and a few other niceties.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 19, 2015 at 12:52:01 pm

Just to be clear, Resolve on Linux has a $50K startng point. Then add computers and storage on top. Apple is deprecating QT and has put no development into it for 5 years.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Oct 19, 2015 at 2:00:37 pm

To this day I am still in awe on why "professionals" upgrade to a new OS without a stress test.
I am still on Maverick for most of our Avid/FCPX setups.
Using Yosimete with Resolve.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 20, 2015 at 11:54:22 am

Isn't it $995?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 20, 2015 at 1:38:22 pm

[Bret Williams] "Isn't it $995?"

AFAIK, the Linux version requires the $29K surface (with Resolve license) and a $20K Linux license. At least that's what it used to be. But looking at the BMD website today, it does imply that it would start at $995. Maybe they changed that.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 20, 2015 at 10:42:24 pm

[Oliver Peters]"AFAIK, the Linux version requires the $29K surface (with Resolve license) and a $20K Linux license."

I am not 100% sure but the expensive Linux version is a turn key with hardware & controllers so the price covers that. However, I can download the Linux version right now and I suspect I can install it perfectly well on a CentOS Linux machine all by myself using the USB dongle that comes with any paid version.

So yes $995 should buy you a Linux version if you do the install yourself on your own hardware and use other controllers.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 19, 2015 at 7:01:09 pm

[Michael Gissing] " Apple is forcing OS upgrades to make sure the latest version of X is optimal."

I thought we were talking about Resolve.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 19, 2015 at 11:31:34 pm

[Gary Huff] "I thought we were talking about Resolve."

Given that my argument is also about choice of OS including versions to run on a system with Resolve plus other software, I am frankly surprised you seem to be having some difficulty following my argument.

Read Walter's response. He seems to be able to follow my thoughts.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Oct 20, 2015 at 12:47:27 am

[Michael Gissing] "Read Walter's response. He seems to be able to follow my thoughts."

I think he's more comparing Windows to Linux. My response is to something else entirely.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Oct 20, 2015 at 1:15:50 am

[Gary Huff] "I think he's more comparing Windows to Linux. My response is to something else entirely."

Seems like we are on different layers of Inception dream within dream states. If you feel better with the idea that I can't understand your argument rather than you not understanding mine then lets both dream on.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 20, 2015 at 12:16:56 pm

[Gary Huff] "I think he's more comparing Windows to Linux. My response is to something else entirely."

I was, but I think Michael's point still stands. Windows is a more stable development platform than Mac OS X. Apple changes a lot very quickly and very often. It's not so easy for developers to support both the current releases and previous/legacy/stable/whatever releases.

Premiere Pro CC 2015, for example, supports Windows 7 (SP1), Windows 8, and Windows 10 -- all the way back to March of 2010. It supports only Mac OS X 10.9 and 10.10 -- only back to October of 2013.

Ultimately, if you want to keep current and your computer is not a single-app appliance, I don't see how it's feasible to stay locked on one version of OS X.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Oct 19, 2015 at 2:31:37 pm

[David Mathis] "Given some of the direction that Apple is going I have been giving more thought of migrating to Linux. Has anyone in here have any experience with Resolve and Linux?"

What else do you want to run on your machine? Everyone I know doing production on Linux systems is either in CG, or treats their system like an appliance: single-purpose and locked down.

Like Michael said, think about Windows. You can some more of that power available from high-end Linux systems on Windows with more hardware choice, and you'd still retain the availability/flexibility of desktop software.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]