FORUMS: list search recent posts

High School Class to visit London

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Winston A. Cely
High School Class to visit London
on Oct 13, 2015 at 5:59:49 pm

I'm posting here because I teach FCPX, Motion and Compressor to high school students in South Carolina.

We are trying to plan a trip to London in February. We'd like to visit some production and post-production facilities in London and the London area, especially ones that are using FCPX. Anyone here work at one and would like to have 10 to 15 US high school students drop by and ask tons of questions? Anyone know of people we should contact? (Doesn't have to be FCPX-centric)

I know I've spoken to people here before that live and work in the UK, and we'd love to come visit some professionals and see how things are done on an international level.

Thanks for your help!

Winston A. Cely
Editor/Owner | Della St. Media, LLC

17" MacBook Pro | 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
4 GB RAM | Final Cut Studio 3 | FCPX | Motion 5 | Compressor 4

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling illusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: High School Class to visit London
on Oct 13, 2015 at 6:59:56 pm

Visit Aindreas. He will buy all your students beer. LOL

This is a great idea. (The trip to London part, not the Aindreas buying beer for your students part. Although you are the better judge of that than I am.) So we'll collectively put out some feelers for you and hopefully come up with some great ACTUAL answers.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Oct 13, 2015 at 7:16:31 pm

You might try contacting the BBC at New Broadcasting House directly.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 13, 2015 at 7:30:18 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Oct 13, 2015 at 8:18:02 pm

Tim,

Your post made my day. Thumbs up!

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Oct 14, 2015 at 12:14:08 am

Thanks!

Right now, we've been talking to Education First as a tour guide company and trip coordinator. I'd really like to take advantage of meeting some of the working professionals that support the Cow as well. :)

Winston A. Cely

"If you can talk brilliantly enough about a subject, you can create the consoling illusion it has been mastered." - Stanley Kubrick

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Oct 14, 2015 at 4:35:57 pm

There are many FCP X houses you can visit in London. As Oliver said, you could try the BBC. If you are more into award-winning commercial and music video work, ask TRIM (trim editing London) if they can spare some time with your students. Or you can visit the Youtube post-house from Google in Soho, which is all FCP X. Contact me if you need more addresses: ronnycourtens@mac.com

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Oct 15, 2015 at 8:10:55 pm

well, if they're Americans students between the ages of eighteen and twenty one, they're obligated under U.N charter mandate to get roaring drunk in London pubs on at least a few occasions.

Buying that beer for them would be another matter altogether. Have you seen drunk American students?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 16, 2015 at 2:49:57 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Oct 16, 2015 at 7:28:38 am

[Aindreas Gallagher] "Buying that beer for them would be another matter altogether. Have you seen drunk American students?"

I would recommend the Dog and Duck on the corner of Frith street and Bateman street, The Carlisle Arms on Bateman Street and the French House on Dean Street.

If all that drinking makes you peckish there is also a very good Indian on Bateman Street called Gopals.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Oct 17, 2015 at 5:50:08 pm

second for the dog and duck. John Snow isn't bad and the pint is cheap - love the French House, but if they like pints of beer they might be a wee bit put out..

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 15, 2015 at 4:24:45 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Oct 18, 2015 at 4:19:22 pm

Hi there

London and Soho have post houses in abundance. Apart from Trim as mentioned by Ronnie you will not find many running FCPX and those that do, run it alongside FCP7/Premiere/Avid.

The only one I know of (after some extensive research last year) are both quite small "boutique" facilities:

Clear Cut Pictures http://www.clearcut.cc

Preditors http://www.preditors.tv

These are the only two I have found. The Mill I think are still using FCP7 for their main edit tool (mainly a grading and CGI house these days as are most of the big houses because that's where there are still decent budgets).

Unit TV was exclusively an FCP house but they switched over to Avid pretty soon after the launch of FCPX.

I don't know how many facilities houses there are in London but these are the only ones I can find. A very very small percentage indeed.

Hopefully somebody will be able to enlighten further.

Ronnie if you know of others please do post as it's very useful info for me.

Return to posts index

Mark Dobson
on Oct 15, 2015 at 6:46:02 am

Well I'm about 40miles south of London in a small market town and whilst you are all welcome to come and visit and see how we use FCPX for Broadcast Spec HD and 4K editing I don't think you would all fit into our small house.

But you could take it in turns to come into our editing room and I think we could just about find enough mugs to make tea for you all.

Seriously though from what James Ewarts says in his post I think that it's likely that FCPX is mostly used by self shooting Producer / Directors and small production companies such as ours.

I just did a quick Google Search and I think there are a few companies in Brighton, lovely town to visit, who are using FCPX. One of these is a company called Can-b ltd.

http://can-b.co.uk/video-production

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 15, 2015 at 9:52:37 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Oct 15, 2015 at 9:56:10 am

If you want to give your students a glimpse of the top end of the market then there are three companies to approach and I would imagine one of these will oblige:

The Mill

The Framestore

The Moving Picture Company

You might also approach

Rushes

Molinare

good luck

http://www.jamesewart.co.uk

Return to posts index

Mauricio Lleras
on Oct 15, 2015 at 12:03:51 pm

Hi,
what about contacting 10dot1?
These are the guys that have published several whitepapers
on fcpx workflows and they should be able
to point you in the right direction:
http://www.10dot1.co.uk
Their website lists these as clients,
and I'm guessing at least half should be
using fcpx regularly, if not as their main NLE:
BBC Motion Gallery
BD Network
ESPN
Google
Impossible Pictures
The Mill
MUTV
Nickelodeon
Ogilvy
Tomboy Films
Unit
Viasat
360 Production

Maybe call them?

Cheers and have a good trip with you students!

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 15, 2015 at 3:10:59 pm

[Mauricio Lleras] "what about contacting 10dot1?"

I contacted them over a year ago. No major facilities in the UK are running FCPX apart form the ones I listed earlier.

None of the facilities you list use FCPX apart from maybe Google unless they have switch in the last few months.

The BBC Motion Gallery is not a proper facility.
MUTV is in ...Manchester!
Unit as I mentioned earlier switched to AVID a few years ago.
ESPN??
The Mill were running FCP 7 last time I was there for editing but most of what they do is in Flame and Smoke and some suchlike.

if any of the others are running FCPX in any meaningful way please let me know I would be very surprised.

I think maybe people answer these questions without first reading the thread?

Return to posts index

Mauricio Lleras
on Oct 15, 2015 at 3:26:18 pm

Hey James,
I don't live in London, was merely suggesting
to contact them as they seem pretty turned towards fcpx,
thought they might give ideas,
as for the facilities I did say I was merely copying
the ones that appeared on their site
and might therefore have some use of fcpx, that's all...
I don't seem recalling anyone mentioning 10dot1 in the thread,
just trying to give the guy some ideas...
Cheers

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 15, 2015 at 3:52:34 pm

Hi Most of what 10 dot 1 do is networking and SAN solutions. For sure they champion the FCPX multi user workflow but I don't think there's been much of a take up.

The UK is a very conservative market. it took a long time foe people to adopt FCP Legacy also.

Whether they ever do pick it up meaningfully I am beginning to doubt.

Return to posts index

Mauricio Lleras
on Oct 15, 2015 at 5:45:43 pm

Out of curiosity,
how's Premiere doing over there?
Is it picking up or are people
mainly still on avid and fcp 7?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 15, 2015 at 6:27:12 pm
Last Edited By James Ewart on Oct 15, 2015 at 6:35:45 pm

[Mauricio Lleras] "Out of curiosity,
how's Premiere doing over there?
Is it picking up or are people
mainly still on avid and fcp 7?"

Dennis could answer probably better than me but i would say FCP7 users are going 45% Avid 45% Premiere and 10% FCPX.

This is just a general gut vibe. I truly would have thought if it were going to make greater inroads into "mainstream" it would have done so by now.

There is a snobbery over here. Avid is the "professional" tool. Self fulfilling prophecy. It was the same with FCP Legacy but it is taking longer this time.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Oct 15, 2015 at 8:24:43 pm

yeah - I'd say this anyway but: places like Disney, once they finally decided to pull the plug on FCP7 - went with premiere. Ditto Hogarth, CNN, BBC Worldwide, a bunch of small Soho shops, ITV increasingly as well. ITV did a big sitdown with their avid editors about Premiere coming down the tracks.
It seems when push came to shove for most FCP houses, they went for Premiere. Adobe have been really careful to bleed in Avid editor acceptable practises in terms of edit trim operations and source monitor edits and that. In the end - Premiere works far harder to pass the snob test than X. Also the Premiere team would basically cut off their toe to get a major contract. From what I heard in one instance, a major client query to Apple, in competition with Adobe and Avid, got directed to the FCPX page on the apple website. That's not exactly ideal. They were an extremely large American studio with historical links to Apple. That one slightly blew my mind if I'm honest.

Return to posts index

Winston A. Cely
on Oct 15, 2015 at 7:08:42 pm

Thank you so much James and everyone for your feedback!!! This will help a great deal in trying to set up an itinerary for our trip.

BTW, I didn't mean to say we were only interested in FCPX, just that I'd like to start there and then hit any other place that would be worth while. I love FCPX and teach it for a number of reasons, but I always instruct my students that it's not the tool that makes the edit, but the editor that makes the film. Any exposure to any product the students may come into contact with, even if only briefly, is a valuable experience in my book! :)

Winston A. Cely

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]