FORUMS: list search recent posts

Logging

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Ewart
Logging
on Oct 8, 2015 at 8:32:36 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Oct 8, 2015 at 8:59:34 am

Every time I start a new project I rather dread the drudgery of logging. So deeply engrained is my feeling about the tedium of this stage of the process because I understand well how vital it is that it's done thoroughly.

But then in X I start swinging along with my keyword collections on a first pass of the rushes and it somehow makes it fun.

I was always paranoid in Legacy about renaming clips and then having to remember to "rename file to match clip" for fear of breaking links further down the line when reconnecting media in full rez.

Simple little things like this in FCPX are, for me, a huge advance in the editing process.

Return to posts index

Anders Utterstrom
Re: Logging
on Oct 8, 2015 at 10:31:57 am

Good morning James,

Intelligent Assistance has clearly created products to help you log. I looked into this a while back, and their software is really taking advantage of FCP X database. Check them out!

Anders/Chicago

Anders Utterstrom
Chicago, Illinois

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 8, 2015 at 12:22:17 pm

[James Ewart] "Every time I start a new project I rather dread the drudgery of logging"

I hear ya. And I agree that keyword collections and favorites take some of the bit of that drudge out of the task, especially since they can be done without stopping playback. Very nice indeed. I am working on an interview driven project right now being able to set up the keywords and add them as the interview is playing is fantastic. I would hate to be doing this the old way.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 8, 2015 at 2:45:57 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "I am working on an interview driven project right now being able to set up the keywords and add them as the interview is playing is fantastic."

When I add a keyword in real time playback stops for me. is this your experience?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 8, 2015 at 3:17:13 pm

No, as long as you have the browser active (cmd-1) and use keyboard shortcuts for keywords, it keeps playing.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Anders Utterstrom
on Oct 8, 2015 at 3:33:56 pm

Yes, This is a window I overlooked for a long time. It's very powerful
Where is is VCU? I'm in Chicago.

Anders Utterstrom
Chicago, Illinois

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 8, 2015 at 3:45:25 pm

[Anders Utterstrom] "Where is is VCU"

Richmond, VA.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 8, 2015 at 4:09:50 pm

In the section about "how I accidentally found a shortcut" user guide.

While messing around with some of the footage I was logging, I accidentally hit cmnd-6 for a keyword (instead of cntrl-6, which would not have worked anyway since the timeline was active and a clip was highlighted) and it popped a CC effect on the selected clip in the timeline and opened the color board. Never knew that worked that way. Of course you can't add secondaries using the same method, but it's a nice quick way to get to the color board.

Ya learn something new every day.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Oct 8, 2015 at 4:12:26 pm

No, as long as you have the browser active (cmd-1) and use keyboard shortcuts for keywords, it keeps playing.

On my home system with an oldish Imac it definitely stops. Will check other tomorrow thanks.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 8, 2015 at 4:16:32 pm

Might be. I am working on a pretty tricked out MacPro. Good luck!

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Oct 12, 2015 at 5:35:05 pm

[James Ewart] "Will check other tomorrow thanks"

Did you get this to work without stopping playback?

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]