FORUMS: list search recent posts

QuickTime woes Oh fudge!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
QuickTime woes Oh fudge!
on Oct 5, 2015 at 8:40:47 pm

Well, it feels like the new version of OS X feels like Windows Vista at the moment. Just rendered a QuickTime movie out of Fusion. Will not import into FCPMX or the QT player. What gives? Wished that I waited before going El Capitian, darn it!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: QuickTime woes Oh fudge!
on Oct 5, 2015 at 9:14:19 pm

Is it a prores QT? Are you sure you let the QT finish exporting before you dragged it into FCPX?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 5, 2015 at 9:18:12 pm

It was ProRes 422 and Fusion did notify me when rendering was finished. The file tries to conver before being opened in QT player as well. All was fine in Yosemite. Using the beta 2 version of Fusion at the moment.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 6, 2015 at 3:54:54 am

Upon closer look the file says it is Zero Kb in size. Wait a few minutes to render out a movie but not sure what is going on. No issues under Yosemite so I am thinking Fusion might not be supported under El Capitian, just a guess.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 6, 2015 at 2:33:45 pm

Generally speaking apps will not be compatible out of the box without an update or a note from the developer that they are compatible. I would always recommend a cautious update to .0 OS releases...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
FCP eXchange - FCPX Workshops

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
on Oct 6, 2015 at 9:08:14 pm
Last Edited By Marcus Samuel-Gaskin on Oct 6, 2015 at 9:09:51 pm

What really grinds my gears is that this is like, what, the third or fourth iteration of the OS since the introduction of AV Foundation and the official Quicktime application still does not have any Pro features. I find this inexcusable this far down the road. How long do we expect QT 7 to work. Oh, and no native MP4 playback necessitating third party apps like Editready, a great app but shouldn't be necessary in this day and age. The new modern AV Foundation should be able to handle this. *sigh*

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Oct 6, 2015 at 9:13:50 pm

What is odd is that any QuickTime files rendered out under Yosemite works fine in the current version of OS X, weird. Fusion is still in beta and I have not seen any official word that it is supported with El Capitain, at least that I know of. Considering migrating to Linux soon if Apple keeps this up.

The magnetic timeline, it's magnetic-o-matic!

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 6, 2015 at 10:34:21 pm

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what exactly in QT7 Pro are people missing that can't be done with other apps?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 7, 2015 at 1:16:50 am

[John Davidson] "Maybe this is a stupid question, but what exactly in QT7 Pro are people missing that can't be done with other apps?"

Just off the top of my head, recently someone sent me three QT files and I wanted them in one file so with a quick Command+N (new QT window), copy/paste, copy/paste, copy/paste, Save As and *boom* I have all of them in one QT file.

It's kinda like having a small multitool on your keychain vs always having to go to the garage to get a screw driver.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Oct 7, 2015 at 3:55:56 am

Merry xmas!

Combine Multiple Files
Quicktime can also combine multiple video files. Start by opening the first file in QuickTime. Next, drag-and-drop another file onto the QuickTime window. You’ll see it appear at the end of the first file. You can drag-and-drop each clip here to rearrange their order. Double-click a clip to open the Trim interface, where you can easily remove content you don’t want to appear in the resulting file.

This also works with audio files. Drag-and-drop an audio file onto the QuickTime window and it will appear on a bar below the video files. This will overlay the audio over the video file, and it will play at the same time as the video. Both the audio file’s audio and the original video file’s audio will play at the same time. You could use this to add background music to a video, for example.

When you save (or duplicate and save) the original file, the additional content will appear at the end of the file — in the same order it appears on the bar at the bottom of the screen. Simple!

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Oct 7, 2015 at 4:11:33 am

[Andrew Kimery] "It's kinda like having a small multitool on your keychain vs always having to go to the garage to get a screw driver.
"

As John points out, QT 10 is actually a really great little editor. (CMD-T and CMD-E are your new friends) The only thing "missing" are the "pro" export functions, but all that and more is in Compressor for 50 bucks. I can't remember the last time I opened QT 7 on purpose...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Oct 7, 2015 at 12:57:22 am

[Marcus Samuel-Gaskin] "What really grinds my gears is that this is like, what, the third or fourth iteration of the OS since the introduction of AV Foundation and the official Quicktime application still does not have any Pro features. I find this inexcusable this far down the road. "

Agreed. When Quicktime X was first released, everyone thought a lot of those features would come after a couple of months. Quicktime X was introduced in Snow Leopard (!!!) and it's still pretty much the same application. It still doesn't show timecode of a file, it still doesn't even have preferences, etc. ...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]