FORUMS: list search recent posts

BMD Media Express 3 in June

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Pale
BMD Media Express 3 in June
on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:00:10 pm

http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/04/22/free.update.brings.prores.3d....

Noted the souped up new version capture utility for Decklink cards comes out in June (same as FCPX).

Will have XML import support (which hopefully means you can batch capture FCP bins).

Could this mean the rumors were true about FCP X leaving Log and Capture to the card vendors?

Looks like too nice an app (some really great features) for just the few people who use the free utility now......

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: BMD Media Express 3 in June
on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:24:09 pm

[John Pale] "Could this mean the rumors were true about FCP X leaving Log and Capture to the card vendors?"

That's a possibility that several indicators seem to point at.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

A forum host of Creative COW's Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums. Formerly host of the Apple Final Cut Basics, Indie Film & Documentary, and Film History & Appreciations forums.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:43:49 pm

In many respects I think this is a good thing. I hate tying up an NLE with tape capture for hours. I'd like to start on the first tape while capturing the second. I like the Telestream Pipeline concept where you can start editing while the tape is coming in because it's in an open ended Quicktime wrapper.

With a networked capture computer or maybe taking advantage of Thunderbolt's bandwidth I can see great potential for ways to capture while continuing to edit.

Now the other feature is going back out to tape when needed. It would be nice not to tie the NLE up for that either but that would require a means to export timeline (XML?) and/or a means to batch capture when needed.

Ingest itself should not tie up an NLE though.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Apr 22, 2011 at 5:37:36 pm

I've done a lot of capturing and edit to tape over the years
and it wouldn't bother me at all....not one bit....if I could capture or output to tape and edit at the same time.

Return to posts index

Eric Jurgenson
on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:36:07 pm

With a 3rd party export to tape app, you would probably have to export your sequence to a file first - an extra step.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:49:19 pm

[Eric Jurgenson] "With a 3rd party export to tape app, you would probably have to export your sequence to a file first - an extra step."

And likely a very fast one. You're NLE can back to editing instead instead of controlling an HDCAM deck for 90 minutes.

The idea that your NLE should be spending hours controlling tape decks is not very efficient. Certainly in the era where export was slow and network pipes where narrower, it made sense but these days having a separate app on a separate computer is likely much more time and resource efficient. Keep in mind that, over time, the need for tape delivery will be declining.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Apr 23, 2011 at 12:20:03 am

[Eric Jurgenson] "With a 3rd party export to tape app, you would probably have to export your sequence to a file first - an extra step."

For 95% of my projects I have to do that anyways for Blu-Ray/DVD/web versions.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 22, 2011 at 10:41:39 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Now the other feature is going back out to tape when needed. It would be nice not to tie the NLE up for that either but that would require a means to export timeline (XML?) and/or a means to batch capture when needed."

I think built-in output is more likely than built-in capturing, because you absolutely need to support video output for monitoring anyway. Allowing monitoring output to be conveniently captured to tape is just a matter of adding some relatively simple deck control.

Plus, built-in output combined with real-time OpenCL-accellerated rendering opens up the possibility for FCP X to offer something like DaVinci Resolve's PowerMastering, which lets you output to tape in many cases with no rendering step. If output can only be handled externally, then the entire timeline will have to be rendered out to a flattened file first.

But for capturing? Yeah, who cares if that's built in. Back before most of our work went tapeless, we used to use a third-party app for capturing anyway.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read What is FCP X’s relationship to iMovie? on our blog.

Return to posts index

Peter Bosch
on Apr 23, 2011 at 7:31:15 am

If no capturing is built in, what will the icon with the camera and the arrow on the middle left side mean?

Regards, Peter

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 23, 2011 at 11:57:22 am

As long as both ingest and output can detect dropped frames, I'm ok with third party apps for this. If the app merely plays through dropped frames, well, that's gonna burn somebody.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 23, 2011 at 4:08:57 pm

I don't see an issue with this at all. Perhaps "log and capture" features will be more stable when tied to a vendor-specific hardware even and MOST people have moved away from tapes for a large portion of the their day-to-day work anyways.

What I do wonder is how Apple has improved the over-all media-management in terms of online / offline workflows, reconnecting, transfering, importing or archiving projects. The current FCP works okey there but it also suffers in quite a few areas.

Some what off-topic but I'd love to see FCPX have proxy- or version support. I've found an interesting way of possibly using "auditions" in our current workflow (i.e. you can show the offline-, graded- and posted-clip with-in a few clicks - given that will be PER CLIP which isn't always what you want).

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 23, 2011 at 4:36:21 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "I don't see an issue with this at all. Perhaps "log and capture" features will be more stable when tied to a vendor-specific hardware even and MOST people have moved away from tapes for a large portion of the their day-to-day work anyways. "

I think those with vested interest in support tape, which would be video card makers, might be best suited to develop those tools. If Apple developed the tool it would have to work with a variety of cards. If the card developer also developed the tool it would take specific advantage of their card.

Even as tape moves to legacy over time, there will be those of use who need to resurrect (batch capture) old projects or work with projects that may need both tape and file based media. Batch capturing such a project would be interesting to say the least.

Imagine resurrecting a project that needed DigiBeta that had been converted to ProRes, XDCAM proxy files that need to link back to XDCAM HD, AVCHD files that had been converted to ProRes. The timeline would have to have the metadata to pull back media, often to retranscode, even if FCPX would no longer need to do that in some cases if one were starting the project fresh.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 24, 2011 at 12:43:35 pm

I agree, given we more and more have a all digital file based workflow now - even if the source is film. But we still have the odd digibeta delivery or capture so even for our small post house we couldnt just drop tape-support over night - especially for archival purposes.

As has been pointed else-where a solid media management back-end is required even if apple drop tape-deck control in-app. I would be very surprised if the log and transfer tool hasn't remained (although brought up to FCPX standards of course). Then again building a modern professional application, having a healthy plugin architecture even for i/o seems like a "smart" design to me. We'll see.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 24, 2011 at 6:38:28 pm

[Erik Lindahl] " and MOST people have moved away from tapes for a large portion of the their day-to-day work anyways."

How do you quantify most people? You've done a survey or looked up some article on this? MOST people I work with day to day are still working with huge libraries of tape, either for archive purposes or still shooting tape over hard drives.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 24, 2011 at 7:02:47 pm

I'll correct that - most people I work with, be it production or post production. A large part of it is also due to the fact all TV copies are filebased in Sweden. But, as I've stated, we're still dependent on tape-capture our selves but tape for us is rare compared to filebased workflows.

Given this is my daily life everyone has a different one. FCP 7s current strength is that it support a very wide varity of workflows given the all filebased one can be questioned sometimes. Still - as you say - tape is required in a "pro" environment but as people have stated, perhaps this requirement doesn't nessacarily need to come from the NLE. The NLE however has to be able to communicate with systems that solve this problem - i.e have a healthy i/o structure (OMF / AAF / XML / QT etc) and / or a stable plug-in architecture that enables third parties to solve the problem.

------------------------
Erik Lindahl

Return to posts index

Jason Jordan
on Jan 6, 2012 at 2:07:25 am

Hello! Can ANYONE PLEASE point me to a software that can Import XML files written by BMD Media Express? I'm using FCP X, but can NOT import the XML files.

Am I doing something wrong? And what other NLE can read the files? I've tried capturing via ProRes and still nothing. Thank You
Jason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]