FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why is Log and Transfer gone?? Am I the only one puzzled by this?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Forsbloom
Why is Log and Transfer gone?? Am I the only one puzzled by this?
on Oct 1, 2015 at 5:56:18 pm

Is it just me, or was the ability to log an individual clip BEFORE ingesting it onto ones machine a brilliant idea? I was adding naming, metadata, clip by clip, getting rid of the garbage, only bringing in the good stuff.

Neither FCPX or PPRO offer this anymore. Its like they've gotten together with all the hard drive companies and swung a deal cause now I need more disk space.

Can anyone suggest another way to do this? I still use FCP7 for now...

Prelude is Ok. Again its meant for mass ingesting of footage, not clip by clip, naming, etc.

Brutal.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Makes sense to me...
on Oct 1, 2015 at 6:18:04 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Oct 1, 2015 at 6:18:18 pm

As most file based camera formats in use today would have to be de and re-compressed to ingest only a section, thereby losing a generation- this makes plenty of sense to me vs. tape-based legacy formats. On the one's that aren't that way you can still mark a specific range to ingest:

https://larryjordan.com/articles/fcpx-select-ranges/

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Oct 1, 2015 at 6:58:49 pm

With FCP Legend media had to be transcoded or rewrapped into a FCP friendly format (which meant creating new media) so having the Log and Transfer function around made sense. Why transcode all the raw footage when you only wanted half of it?

With X or PPro you can choose to work with the camera footage itself (no requirement to create new media via transcoding or rewrapping) so the need to pick and choose beforehand isn't as relevant.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 2, 2015 at 12:42:11 am

Yeah I "log and transfer" in the camera these days....

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
Re: Why is Log and Transfer gone?? Am I the only one puzzled by this?
on Oct 1, 2015 at 6:23:28 pm

Had to recapture a few clips recently on a project. Ended up using FCP 7 which I keep on an older machine. I can't speak for the companies, but I'm of the opinion that digital cards for capture effectively ended the need for it for most people. I do wonder about the million of tapes still in existence in archives. It's not like we won't ever need to bring that footage in with more accuracy than a crash capture...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Oct 1, 2015 at 6:44:52 pm

My BMD card comes with batch capture / edit to tape software. Doesn't AJA / Matrox?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Oct 1, 2015 at 10:25:29 pm

AJA does as well. Works pretty good too.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Oct 2, 2015 at 12:54:30 am

Uhm...guys, you are talking capturing from TAPE. Log and Transfer was how FCP imported from TAPELESS media. It allowed one to mark IN and OUT points and import only what they wanted, and not bring in the full clip. ANA/BMD hardware, and the capture interface...doesn't work with tapeless media. Unless you are playing it back from a tapeless deck, like Ninja or KiPro...

But apples and oranges...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 2, 2015 at 6:05:11 am
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Oct 2, 2015 at 6:05:56 am

That was true with codecs such as DVCPROHD, which were not the long-GOP formats which are much more prevalent today. If you wanted to ingest a section of say a GoPro clip- you'd be de-compressing and recompressing and losing a generation of your already highly compressed footage before you even started editing.

That vs. copying the entire clip onto your drive and only losing a single generation when you go to export the final timeline which is what the FCPX import window does.

So it's not really the import process that changed so much as it is the formats that are being ingested.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Oct 4, 2015 at 8:38:29 pm

"If you wanted to ingest a section of say a GoPro clip- you'd be de-compressing and recompressing and losing a generation"

in FCP 7 at least, it only recompresses the frames outside of the nearest I frame.
(this is with HDV and XDCam)
so just add handles, and all is good.

nick

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Oct 2, 2015 at 8:50:28 am

[Shane Ross] " Uhm...guys, you are talking capturing from TAPE. Log and Transfer was how FCP imported from TAPELESS media."

RIGHT!

For file based formats, FCP7 only essentially understood Quicktime and so rewrapped or transcoded the footage. Most editors in some fashion now natively understand more of today's camera formats natively and so the need for Log and Transfer is not necessary.

For Adobe - mass ingest, tagging and renaming of clips, you're right - either Prelude or AME would be the right choice.

For browsing and importing of single clips, I use the Media Browser in Premiere Pro.

Dennis - insomniac Adobe person (who has a migraine at the moment)

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Oct 2, 2015 at 1:12:51 am

The new AJA software works very well too. If I wasn't uprezzing to HD I would be using it for archival capture.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.2, Final Cut Studio 2 & 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC: 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro Retina 2015, i7, 500GB, M370X 2GB: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Oct 2, 2015 at 1:10:47 am

I'm doing hundreds of hours of DV, Betacam, and 3/4 with the BMD capture software through a BMD Teranex. Works great.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.2, Final Cut Studio 2 & 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC: 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro Retina 2015, i7, 500GB, M370X 2GB: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Oct 2, 2015 at 6:42:57 pm

I've come to hate Media Express, and can't wait to replace it with a different app.

Return to posts index

John Pale
on Oct 5, 2015 at 1:58:22 am

If you are talking about file based footage, Prelude does indeed do what you want. You can preview, mark in /out and transfer only the section you want... in batches or one at a time. It works quite nicely. Have you done the tutorials for it? Its a pretty powerful tool.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]