FORUMS: list search recent posts

A special Thank You to Chris Kenny

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
A special Thank You to Chris Kenny
on Jul 2, 2011 at 7:42:12 am

I'd like to recognize Chris Kenny for his tireless efforts in being one of the few people in this forum who hasn't been completely 100% negative during this entire FCPX experience. I think probably the #1 point he makes is that it's too early to say what's going to happen with FCPX, but if history is any indicator, it's going to get better.

And I'd like to leave you with a post from back when FCS3 came out, from one of the biggest detractors of FCPX who loudly decided to leave Apple behind on day one. See if you can guess who it was...

From July 23rd, 2009 (on the launch of FCS3, TWO WEEKS before AJA had drivers ready).
"Wonder how many bugs this version will ship with? New codec support is nice and native camera support is nice, but with the extremely limited number of people who tested it out, I'll purchase it, but not bring it online for several months at least...."

The thread
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1045001#1045001

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
Re: A special Thank You to Chris Kenny
on Jul 2, 2011 at 9:41:41 am

Hi
Agreed.
This forum needs now to move on to 'What we have Now', and not 'What we Had Then' and 'What we Will have When...'.
Chris and all the other stalwarts like Craig - and the rest - have been tireless in explaining both the visible and the invisible aspects of this brand new software tool.
Thank you :-)

Return to posts index

Tomislav Rupic
on Jul 2, 2011 at 10:30:57 am

Finally a reasonable post :)
As much as I was disappointed when I first opened FCPX, I believe in Apple and that they
will do their best to make this no1 pro editing software. If you look at all their first
version software (even iOS) they will rather not include basic features but wait till they can
make them as best as they can and include them in version 2. Just look at all the other
companies, yes they have all those fancy features but at the end its just one huge mess
and is counter productive...

Best advice I can give, is keep on working on your FCP7, because lets be honest,
if you liked to work on MC5 or PP, you would work on them, there is a reason why you
work on FCP... And all those people thinking to sell their mac, do you really wont to
work on Windows? Are you crazy??? :)

FCPX will just get better, and in few years, maybe even faster, things will change dramatically
and all the competition will be far behind FCPX and you will realize you just wasted money
and time buying and learning new software...

I believe in Apple, because they care about making best products they can,
even if it doesn't look like that sometimes, but at the end they always end up
with awesome stuff...

Now call me fanboy but I dont care :)
and sorry for bad english...

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 2, 2011 at 11:07:26 am

I think this forum has given people a much needed place to vent their frustrations, the FCPX techniques forum has been the place for those of us who have started using it. Once the rage dies down and people switch to other software then hopefully this forum will be more like the others, a place to learn not just to vent.

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jul 3, 2011 at 4:04:21 am

[Tomislav Rupic] "As much as I was disappointed when I first opened FCPX, I believe in Apple and that they
will do their best to make this no1 pro editing software."

No offense, but I don't believe this for a second. Everything they would need to do to make this a #1 PRO editing software would take a MINIMUM of 2 years, and a load of resources that Apple will not be willing to dedicate to competing with the likes of Avid and even Adobe.

Yes, FCPX is a new product, but that means it has the long road of maturity still ahead of it. The other 2 companies have a hefty head start. Apple made this choice to jump from #1 to #3 (or possibly lower) with FCPX.

COULD Apple do it if they wanted to? With that kind of money and resource, of course they could. They did it once already. But there are not likely to use that much resources on this product. Especially not to compete in the pro market. They can make much more money dedicating those resources elsewhere, or to further build FCP into the everyman video editing machine. We will almost certainly see an IOS version of it appear in the next year. This would make them gobs more money than trying to match the other "Big A's." There just isn't enough up side.

As one of the major detractors of this move, I'm not saying Apple's move is not a smart move. I'm not even saying that I blame them. But I honestly don't see Apple ever developing FCPX into something that will be used to cut feature films on. Probably less than 1% of us actually do this, but it still seems to be the gold standard when it comes to classifying an editing system as a "pro" system.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 2, 2011 at 11:51:01 am

Hear hear. Chris and Craig have made loads of interesting points about the methodology and the architecture of the software and stuff. God I am actually going to have to fully learn it at some point. Besides, if Chris turned around and said - yep you're all right, what was I thinking -, im not sure what would happen. I think the forum would implode in space time.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 2, 2011 at 6:33:58 pm

Big ups for admitting that. You seem to have started reaching the acceptance phase Andreas. You've been right at many times too, but I just felt Chris has taken the heat so often yet still comes back for more. I couldn't take much more after day 2 so I became a reader only for a while. Till I saw Al Gore anyways.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 2, 2011 at 12:01:00 pm

and while I'm giving one to the other side of the debate, re Chris's contention that this may stabilise over time, and that we may have gone a tiny bit loopers too soon - this is the funniest thing I've seen so far:

http://i.imgur.com/j07Fq.png

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jul 2, 2011 at 1:32:01 pm

And to note that Chris Kenny compiled the statements Apple made to people the week after the release and repeatedly used those to calmly respond to other people's concerns in many posts. He got a fair amount of grief for that, but I think pretty much all those responses were confirmed in the Apple FAQ. Sometimes even a modicum of patience goes a long way.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 2, 2011 at 2:06:50 pm

I'm at a bit of a loss responding to this. I've gotten into a lot of Internet debates over the years, and I don't think I've ever been thanked by anyone... sort of the opposite, usually. So, thanks for reading, and thanks to everyone who has given my views fair consideration.

Anyway, it has been a fun way to kill some time between major projects, and all the debate has helped me clarify my position a lot, I think. It's going to be pretty interesting to see how this all unfolds over the coming months and years.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 2, 2011 at 3:14:56 pm

I hate to bust up this Mutual Admiration Society meeting, but if you don't like all the heat directed towards the big A, why not just hang out in the Tips and Techniques forum?
http://forums.creativecow.net/fcpxtechnique
I think you will find that high fives and chest bumps over what a great program Movie Hero is will get a lot more traction there.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 2, 2011 at 3:40:45 pm

Nice Scott, I thought this thread was missing some vitriol, Yes, this is the "we hate FCPX" forum. Perhaps it should be renamed so people don't wander in here expecting advice or sensible discussion.

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 2, 2011 at 5:18:52 pm

[Steve Connor] "Nice Scott, I thought this thread was missing some vitriol"

You think that is vitriol? Vitriol is defined as cruel and harsh criticism.
Saying people are doing high-fives over a dud, is sarcasm.
When did we get so overly-sensitive that a little sarcasm is now redefined as vitriol?
I was going to tell everyone to 'man up' a little, but if I did that I'm afraid you say I'm the kind of person drowning kittens in the bathtub or something.

Shine on you crazy diamond...

Scott Sheriff
Director

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jul 2, 2011 at 3:41:29 pm

I'm sorry, I thought this was the FCP X forum, not the FCP X JILTED LOVERS forum. It's funny how you can count on a negative reply when anyone posts anything positive.

But I still really, really like the Red Adair quote.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 2, 2011 at 4:36:33 pm

[John Godwin] "I'm sorry, I thought this was the FCP X forum, not the FCP X JILTED LOVERS forum. It's funny how you can count on a negative reply when anyone posts anything positive."

Actually if you read the hover text in the forums list, this forum is for support and discussion. The other forum says tips and techniques, just like the forums actual name. It was created at the specific request of people like yourself so they could go and talk about X, without having to wade through all the discussion type posts. But it's all good, post what you want, get on the soap box. Not trying to censor your speech, just pointing out there is a forum for X users with a more positive trend.
As far as jilted lovers, I think apples behavior is more akin to an unfaithful mistress who can't be trusted.
On counting on negative posts, all I can say is "what goes around, comes around". The Pollyanna's have done more than their fair share of jumping in on people who dare to complain about X or apple's un-businesslike behavior.
The big mystery there is why does it matter to them? I speculated on their motives here:http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/6427 on June 26th. Despite the time and effort it takes to put up the amount of posts the apologists have put up trying to defend apple, as of today they haven't put up one to defend themselves, or answer that question of their motivation. *sound of crickets*
And most of what the apple apologist post is often fact-less, laced with inflammatory rhetoric, hypocritical, or at least full of oxymorons, usually to the tune of "I agree that they probably shouldn't have yanked FCS3 without notice, but isn't apple the best billion dollar corporation ever and if you can't see that then you're a bloody Luddite!". I'm paraphrasing a bit there for the sake of brevity, but we've all read it and know what I'm referring to.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 2, 2011 at 5:20:37 pm

Scott, your postings are not just a discussion about the software you also use language that is also directed at people with differing opinions to yourself, language such as "Apple apologists" and "Polyannas"

Even Aindreas managed a positive comment on this thread, but the tone of your original post wasn't informative it was deliberately provocative.

However I am going to take your advice and move to the other forum to to join "the mutual admiration society" for some "high fives and chest bumps"

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 2, 2011 at 5:43:21 pm

[Steve Connor] "Scott, your postings are not just a discussion about the software you also use language that is also directed at people with differing opinions to yourself, language such as "Apple apologists" and "Polyannas""

Whats your point?
That I think that having faith in apple at this point, and saying X is a great piece of software is being Pollyanna?
If it's not that, then what is it?

Also lets not forget that Chris has turned into a 'word-burning stove' in his effort to justify how apple handled the way FCS3 was pulled without notice.
Are you saying that doesn't make you an apple apologist?
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck...

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Jul 2, 2011 at 6:53:19 pm

Business must be slow for you Sheriff because you sure spend a lot of time posting on a program you hate. You may need some counseling. All these "fanboys" and "apologists" sure got you panties in a bind.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 2, 2011 at 7:26:01 pm

[Craig Shields] "Business must be slow for you Sheriff because you sure spend a lot of time posting on a program you hate. You may need some counseling. All these "fanboys" and "apologists" sure got you panties in a bind."

That is truly the sign of desperation, and of someone that is loosing the debate. If I hadn't already mentioned drowning kittens in the tub, I'm sure you would have gone there.
I guess Steve Connor doesn't consider that vitriol, since it's coming from your camp. *more cricket sounds*

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

TS O'Grady
on Jul 2, 2011 at 8:22:56 pm

You're really just a troll now. You've run out of things to say about FCP X so you come here just to piss on other people's posts and start a flame war. Take your posts, substitute FCP X for Premier Pro and and start posting them into that forum. I like to see their responses. I doubt it would be tolerated. You're comfortable posting here because it's been a dumping ground for your kind of incendiary rhetoric since it's inception. If you haven't noticed, more and more people are coming here to post technical questions, exchange information and discuss in substantive ways editing with FCP X. You know, the type of threads you regularly see in other forums.

Return to posts index

Sohrab Sandhu
on Jul 2, 2011 at 8:36:10 pm

[TS O'Grady] "You're really just a troll now. You've run out of things to say about FCP X so you come here just to piss on other people's posts and start a flame war. Take your posts, substitute FCP X for Premier Pro and and start posting them into that forum. I like to see their responses. I doubt it would be tolerated. You're comfortable posting here because it's been a dumping ground for your kind of incendiary rhetoric since it's inception. If you haven't noticed, more and more people are coming here to post technical questions, exchange information and discuss in substantive ways editing with FCP X. You know, the type of threads you regularly see in other forums."

Since you like to point the gun towards others, lets look at you for a second.

How many technical questions have you posted about FCP X? Or how many have you been able to answer? Wait a minute... none! So you have only been giving opinions? And then you talk about stuff like troll and fud!

Sohrab

2.66 GHz 8-core, ATI Radeon HD 4870,
FCS 3, AJA Kona Lhi

"The creative person wants to be a know-it-all. He wants to know about all kinds of things: ancient history, nineteenth-century mathematics, current manufacturing techniques, flower arranging, and hog futures. Because he never knows when these ideas might come together to form a new idea. It may happen six minutes later or six months, or six years down the road. But he has faith that it will happen." -- Carl Ally

Return to posts index

TS O'Grady
on Jul 2, 2011 at 9:01:54 pm

Fair enough. I've taken my shots and I'll take a hit for that. But head on over to the Premiere or Avid forums and see how many posts you can find along the lines of " Premiere/Avid sucks and anyone who defends it is an Adobe/Avid apologist!" What do you think the reaction would be over there to such a post?

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 2, 2011 at 9:08:58 pm

that's a pretty stupid comparison - the people on those forums haven't just had their editing platform explode in their faces.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 2, 2011 at 10:52:33 pm

[TS O'Grady] "Fair enough. I've taken my shots and I'll take a hit for that. But head on over to the Premiere or Avid forums and see how many posts you can find along the lines of " Premiere/Avid sucks and anyone who defends it is an Adobe/Avid apologist!" What do you think the reaction would be over there to such a post?"

Thats an interesting argument you make. Over the years I have seen posts where people have bashed Avid because they didn't like the dongle, paying for support, crashing a bunch, you name it. But show me a post where someone has such a complaint, and a small clique' of Avid-philes defend Avid carte blanche. You will see people that have solutions, similar complaints, or even those saying they have never had a lick of trouble. But I don't think you'll find too many that say, 'hey, thats how Avid is, too bad, so sad, why don't you just go buy something else you whiner'.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jul 2, 2011 at 5:49:27 pm

"Actually if you read the hover text in the forums list, this forum is for support and discussion. The other forum says tips and techniques, just like the forums actual name. It was created at the specific request of people like yourself so they could go and talk about X, without having to wade through all the discussion type posts. But it's all good, post what you want, get on the soap box. Not trying to censor your speech, just pointing out there is a forum for X users with a more positive trend."

Discussion is good. Rehashing the same negative points over and over and over isn't much contribution to a discussion. Maybe the solution is to create a FCP X SUX forum, since this one is ever so gradually trending toward less bitterness and more dealing with the new reality.

"As far as jilted lovers, I think apples behavior is more akin to an unfaithful mistress who can't be trusted."

Mistresses, too, can jilt their lovers.

"On counting on negative posts, all I can say is "what goes around, comes around". The Pollyanna's have done more than their fair share of jumping in on people who dare to complain about X or apple's un-businesslike behavior."

In my reading of this forum I saw a lot of angst and handwringing and a few people pointing out that the world hasn't ended. I've had a couple of edit systems EOLed and I wasn't happy about it, but I picked out which way to go next and moved on. Evidently a number of people of done that. They made their complaints known, decided which way to go, and are more or less gone. I think deciding what you need and what works for you is a practical and pragmatic way to deal with changed circumstances.

"The big mystery there is why does it matter to them? I speculated on their motives here:http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/6427 on June 26th."

I read that. I can't speak to their motives, mine are simply that this change does matter to me. I've been a shooter/editor all my longer-than-I-would-have-expected life. I came to the Mac side only in the last roughly 3 years, so I'm hardly a fanboy or apologist. I simply think Apple made some business and technical decisions and is highly unlikely to throw them out, so I want to constructively learn the new product and see if the promised improvements materialize. Actually, I'll probably pick up CS 5.5 while it's on sale and have my options covered.

"Despite the time and effort it takes to put up the amount of posts the apologists have put up trying to defend apple, as of today they haven't put up one to defend themselves, or answer that question of their motivation. *sound of crickets*"

And why exactly should they have to state their motives to you? I would expect most people on here to take EVERYTHING that isn't a simple statement of fact with a grain of salt, because I have respect for other people's intelligence.

"And most of what the apple apologist post is often fact-less, laced with inflammatory rhetoric, hypocritical, or at least full of oxymorons, usually to the tune of "I agree that they probably shouldn't have yanked FCS3 without notice, but isn't apple the best billion dollar corporation ever and if you can't see that then you're a bloody Luddite!". I'm paraphrasing a bit there for the sake of brevity, but we've all read it and know what I'm referring to."

Well, the irony of your last statement speaks for itself. First of all, the word "apologist" is loaded. Some of us are just pragmatic. And what is remotely hypocritical about thinking Apple made a mistake by yanking FCS3 while recognizing things have changed? Those aren't mutually contradictory concepts.

I hope to contribute to this forum and others in a useful and productive way. Rehashing the same points isn't particularly productive in my view.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 2, 2011 at 7:57:22 pm

[John Godwin] "Discussion is good....particularly productive in my view."

Let me refer you to this thread:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/6087#6355
Where David points out how the cherry picking of facts is done by your side to make your argument.
That is what you are doing here, despite how many time you call yourself a pragmatist.
I suppose next your going to start telling me how David is now unhinged, or something like that to try and defend your side.
And you completely misconstrued what I said in the post about questioning their motives. I'm just not sure if you're doing it deliberately, or not.
In that thread I didn't say they had to justify their motivations to me. I said they need to look in the mirror, and justify their motivations to themselves. I would suggest you do the same.
There was some talk of that earlier when some of us wanted to know if some of the posters had a financial 'dog in the fight', in accordance with the FTC mommy blogger rules:http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/5570#5651
Ron made it pretty clear that there is a huge concern over peoples motivations (http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/6325) and that this is a topic that is fair game for discussion.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jul 2, 2011 at 8:47:28 pm

I went and reviewed those links (I had read them already, when they were posted) and have seen the light.

Okay, you win. You're right and everyone else is wrong. FCP X sux and will never amount to anything, and Apple clearly erred in producing a new version of FCP that was not exactly what you wanted. Everyone who argues against you twists facts, lies repeatedly, is ignorant, and possibly immoral.

You know, at some point I just give up and listen to Robert A. Heinlein:

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 2, 2011 at 9:30:34 pm

[John Godwin] "I went and reviewed those links (I had read them already, when they were posted) and have seen the light.

Okay, you win. You're right and everyone else is wrong. FCP X sux and will never amount to anything, and Apple clearly erred in producing a new version of FCP that was not exactly what you wanted. Everyone who argues against you twists facts, lies repeatedly, is ignorant, and possibly immoral.

You know, at some point I just give up and listen to Robert A. Heinlein:

"Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig.""

John,
It's all good. Glad to see you found your Muse, because that was a well thought out and particularly effective retort. And if I might add, quite snappy and dry also.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jul 2, 2011 at 9:46:58 pm

Glad you approve. Since dinner and wine (without the "h") is being served, I retire. I learned a while (with the "h") ago that online posting and alcohol (with the "h") do not mix.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 2, 2011 at 10:38:58 pm

what was with the pig reference there? give it a rest. You sound angrier than anyone, for reasons I don't really understand. And please for god's sake stop saying whine - or make long bad laboured attempts to make a wine "whine" gag - because that one died on its feet really badly.

At least we're angry with apple - there's some sense to that

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/02/first-person-final-cut-pro-x-day-one-complet...

This guy started out trying to write a review of FCPX, he ended up saying, well he said this:

There's definitely going to be a revolution in post-production, dudes.
It's the one where the masses pull Apple off the throne and cut its throat.

Thats right - a few days with FCPX and he literally fantasised about killing the entity apple.
There is actually a problem here, we're none of us as angry as we were, but there is a serious problem with what apple have done, and how they have gone about it.

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jul 2, 2011 at 11:33:44 pm

I'm not angry, just a little tired of certain patterns. It's pretty clear there are some people who are really angry and unhappy with FCP X and Apple. I'm not personally thrilled with it, either. I wish Apple had kept FCS3 going for a while. I wish they had handled the entire affair differently.

But they didn't.

I actually think it's great that a lot of people have made a fuss about all this. I think it's made Apple take notice and I think that'll benefit FCP X users (and maybe even FCS3 users) in the short and medium run.

So, Apple messed up. We know that.

I think that point has been made time and again here, and that eventually making the same point to the same people becomes not useful. I personally understand that some people are incredibly angry, and not unjustified in it. I haven't seen anyone arguing that people shouldn't feel angry or let down. So, accepting that, I just wish we could move on in a more productive way, and not rehash it.

I've been working some with FCP X and find there are things I like and things I don't and things I think I can get used to. I'd like to engage in some learning and contributing here in the FCP X forum. So far all I've figured out is how to copy selected effects from one clip to another without having to copy all of them, but I hope to be useful more than once.

I apologize if you misunderstood the Heinlein quote, or if I misused it. No intention of calling anyone names. The point of that quote is that some people can only see things one way, and it's a waste of time to try and convince them otherwise. I fall back on it sometimes when I feel I've hit a brick wall. I guess I will reconsider that, as we know how things in type on the Internet don't always come across as we intend.

Heinlein, btw, is a very interesting character, if you've never read his stuff. To a kid in the 50's and early 60's it was really eye-opening. As an adult I don't agree with all his personal philosophies but owe him a big debt for stretching my mind way back then. I don't know that it's ever regained it's original shape.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 2, 2011 at 11:45:02 pm

yeah, I always knew I was supposed to read heinlein's stuff, but did I get around to it?
I just looked him up - I'd forgotten he was Starship Troopers - I was an Asimov/Aldiss/Clarke kiddie.

[John Godwin] "So far all I've figured out is how to copy selected effects from one clip to another without having to copy all of them,"
hey - that's something. Ubsdell's ploughing through it on the other forum too. He fell over on the lack of ganging behaviour. I think a lot of that stuff will come back - its just a question of whether they can get it done quickly enough. He made the point that for stuff like eyeball matching dailies or selects or whatever - you absolutely need a source monitor - I think between ganging, eyeball matching and multicam, they're going to have to find room to get the source monitor back into that interface. that's my own 2 cent.

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jul 3, 2011 at 1:47:47 am

I read them all. I can still quote Clarke's Law and the 3 Laws of Robotics. Heinlein's slang is getting a little dated but his tech and human nature concepts and just the way he carries you along with his style still make for a great read..

Maybe those guys taught me that the only certainty is change.

I think the single viewer is because Apple designed FCP X with laptops and eventually tablets in mind. And touch control. I miss the source viewer myself and the idea of editing with waving hands and fingers sounds like a great concept and a questionable reality. If you've played with iMovie on a tablet you'll know what I mean.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 3, 2011 at 2:04:25 am

[John Godwin] "Maybe those guys taught me that the only certainty is change."

That is not necessarily true. Some things are at the peak of their evolution, and can't really be improved on. Things like the bicycle, firearms, and the internal combustion engine are all examples. Most all touted changes to these items are really nothing more than cosmetics, materials, or external changes. The basic working design of these items hasn't changed in decades.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

John Godwin
on Jul 3, 2011 at 2:23:37 am

Clarke's Law:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.

Change "scientist" to "editor" and remove the unintentional ageism..

As a bonus, Clarke's Laws 2 & 3:

2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.

3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

To me, the basics of editing are to take slices of imagery and sound and rearrange and enhance them in a way that tells a story and/or communicates information usually with a point of view. How you achieve that technically is a detail dependent on your media, technology and resources, and your specific ability to use those tools.

On a different note, nobody said that change is always good. Just that there is always change.

Best,
John

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jul 3, 2011 at 1:36:11 am

[John Godwin] "I guess I will reconsider that, as we know how things in type on the Internet don't always come across as we intend."

Fair enough.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

Mike Molenda
on Jul 2, 2011 at 5:20:40 pm

Damn skippy. I've got a lot of respect for all the people who are actively squeezing lemonade out of this lemon. From some (Chris Kenny, David Battistella) it's delicious, from others it's about as refreshing as a cool glass of turnip juice.

Even if this comes back to bite him in a year, at least he can say he didn't go down without a fight.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 2, 2011 at 6:01:00 pm

(Sound of high fives and chest bumps in the distance) :)

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]