FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX Suggestions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
FCPX Suggestions
on Sep 17, 2015 at 3:05:27 pm

I figured since everyone is in a pretty feisty mood, it might be good to start another "feature request" thread. The point here is not a blue sky list of features, but rather things that are realistic within the current design of FCPX. IOW, items that Apple would be likely to implement because they are consistent with the present design. So in that sense, this is a somehwhat different list from the Premiere list, because many of those things will never make it into FCPX. But, some are, of course, oldies but goodies. ;-)

1. Saved workspace layouts
2. Timeline regions for non-connected clips
3. Better retention of in and out points
4. Forced transcodes to ProRes from other "optimized" codecs
5. Media file renaming for transcoded files
6. Master audio bus architecture for master levels and plug-ins
7. Audio sub mix bussing based on Roles
8. Better project-to-project editing workflow (with sequence content, not compound clips)
9. Better memory management with oversized files, especially stills
10. FCPXML support for Motion
11. Easier audio split edit methods
12. Project consolidation with trimmed media
13. The ability to import camera LUTs into the built-in FCPX LUT structure
14. Better FCPXML support to Logic Pro X to support levels, fades and filters
15. Improved shortcuts for adding fades in FCPX (like in LPX)
16. Additional custom text fields in browser
17. Some type of window, HUD, etc. to be able to view PDF and text files, such as scripts, within FCPX interface
18. A "remove attributes" function
19. Support for control surfaces (like new Tangent Devices product) in the FCPX color board and plug-ins
20. Flatten and/or break apart multicam clips.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Tony Corapi
Re: FCPX Suggestions
on Sep 17, 2015 at 3:22:15 pm

An excellent and well thought out list Oliver. The only thing I would add is batch export.
I think that falls in the realm of realistic.

Tony Corapi

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 17, 2015 at 3:24:32 pm

Oliver, that is a great list. I would like to add request number 21 to the list.

21. Have the ability to choose a default setting, under preferences, for spacial conform.

That would help when bringing in footage, graphics or photos that have different frame format (resolution) then the timeline setting.

I know you can change the spacial conform in the inspector but having to select multiple items in the timeline first adds an extra step that I find unnecessary.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 17, 2015 at 3:28:00 pm

Thanks. Naturally there are plenty of things that can be added to enhance the application. For example, better control of keyframe interpolation. But, I'd love to hear tons of suggestions.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 17, 2015 at 5:38:37 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Sep 17, 2015 at 5:54:37 pm

Great list, as always. I wonder how much of that we will ever actually see at this rate of development?

How many of those features could you practically do without and still be able to do everything you need using FCP X? I'm guessing probably all of them, right?

My list is very short but it includes those features that mean I can't at present use FCP X except in certain controlled situations. Every year I mention this list, but since none of this has yet appeared, I'll do so again.

a) Comprehensive and persistent timecode displays.
b) True replace edit.
c) Gang sync.
d) Flexible media relinking as per FCP Legacy.

There are of course workarounds but they involve starting and finishing in FCP X and that is not something I have control over in my business. I've tried a number of potential solutions but they don't cut it in terms of the extra time, awkwardness and lack of flexibility that they involve. So these things remain a significant obstacle for me.

I appreciate that there won't be more than three other people on the planet to whom these features would matter, but doesn't really help me.

I hope I don't have to post this list again next year, but I'm fairly certain that I will ...

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 17, 2015 at 6:22:33 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "My list is very short but it includes those features that mean I can't at present use FCP X except in certain controlled situations."

What about image sequence import? IIRC, didn't you have to go through some crazy workaround to get image sequences into X? Did that ever get fixed?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 17, 2015 at 6:48:25 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Sep 19, 2015 at 10:49:19 am

[Shawn Miller] "What about image sequence import? IIRC, didn't you have to go through some crazy workaround to get image sequences into X? Did that ever get fixed?"

I'm pretty sure this hasn't changed but I haven't checked recently. In this video Steve Martin uses QuickTime 7 to assemble the image sequence prior to importing for use in FCP X:

It's also discussed in this thread:

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/344/9066

This is one suggestion from Sjon Ueckert:

"This is the best way to import animation frames. Shift Select all the animation frames in the browser. Type Control D, then in the Time Counter above the timeline, type 1. Then type "W" or "Q" to have the 1 frame images inserted into the timeline."

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 17, 2015 at 7:17:52 pm

I would suggest trimming tools. dynamic trim, multi clip trim (G tool), 4 frame display during trimming, etc. Basically bring it back to the level of every other NLE including legacy.

Match frame to keyword collection.

TC displays and copy/paste TC. TC readers.

Actual event viewer that has a purpose with scrubbing bar/mark in bar/ audio view.

Multiple browser windows so you can have one set to thumbnail and one to list, etc. Also thumbnails in list view that you can scrub just like 7/media 100/Avid/premiere/everyone.

Recent clip list in event viewer

Open compound/sequence in event viewer.

Everything we used to have plus all the cool new stuff in other NLEs. :)

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 17, 2015 at 8:14:46 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "
The QT7 route is still probably the best for now."

Just watched the video and read the thread. It just seems crazy that X can't directly import and work with image sequences. I wonder if it's an engineering problem or a lack of interest in the feature (on Apple's part).

Shawn

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 17, 2015 at 9:08:18 pm

[Shawn Miller] "or a lack of interest in the feature (on Apple's part)"

That would be my guess, since it can be done in Compressor.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 17, 2015 at 9:10:09 pm

[Oliver Peters] "[Shawn Miller] "or a lack of interest in the feature (on Apple's part)"
That would be my guess, since it can be done in Compressor."

Just to be clear - not really a lack of interest, just a lot lower on the "to do" list than a lot of other items.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 18, 2015 at 11:50:04 am

Huh? I import GoPro timelaps image sequences all the time into X and it's easy and fast. The only time I have trouble is when I used to try to import timelapse stuff from my DSLR. Before my new laptop with the R9 GPU that would slow X to a crawl. I eventually learned that since X ties to work with native resolution when possible, thousands of 22.5 megapixel frames were just too much for my old hardware to process. I'd just toss them into Graphics Converter and make them something reasonable like 3840 wide proportional - and it solved the problems. I considered that user error - my trying to stuff unreasonable arrays of pixels through the pipes. (Tho I'm tempted to try it with my me hardware and see if the SSD and new GPU have made it possible.)
But regular image sequences are a snap. 3000 images as single frame storylines takes Just a few seconds to build as noted above - Sort in browser - select all or some - New Project - tap Q - Command A - Control D - Type 1 - hit return and playback. Takes about a lazy 10 sec.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 18, 2015 at 12:11:46 pm

"But regular image sequences are a snap. 3000 images as single frame storylines takes Just a few seconds to build as noted above - Sort in browser - select all or some - New Project - tap Q - Command A - Control D - Type 1 - hit return and playback. Takes about a lazy 10 sec."

Will all due respect, that's NOT importing an image sequence.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 18, 2015 at 8:29:05 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Will all due respect, that's NOT importing an image sequence."

Excellent, A chance to learn something. Tell me more.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 18, 2015 at 8:49:35 pm

[Bill Davis] "Tell me more."

Unless I misinterpreted your post, what you described was importing a lot of numbered still images, which were then dropped onto the timeline with a duration of 1 frame/image. This means that any effect you add to the "shot" would require it to be a compound clip first. That's so you can deal with all of these images as a single entity. IOW, FCP X does not understand that frame 0001 through frame 9999 within the folder in total constitute a single media file.

When you normally import an image sequence in Compressor, QuickTime 7, Avid or Adobe, you locate the first numbered still in the string of frames (usually all within a folder) and the software knows (based on your settings) that this is the start of a string of numbers that make up a single, complete media file. So when the image sequence is imported, it only appears as a single media file with a frame rate that you set on import or via interpretation settings.

60 frames imported at 29.97fps = 1 media clip that's 2 sec long.

Does that make sense? Forgive me if I'm saying something that you already know.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 18, 2015 at 9:04:40 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Does that make sense? Forgive me if I'm saying something that you already know."

Oh it makes total sense.

And yes, I now realize I left out the G-Key "compounding" step I always finish with - which is part of the workflow since the goal of any animation sequence would be a single clip to bring into subsequent storylines as needed.

Once again. It's what Editor A is conditioned to expect, verses what Editor B can do in a another program.

Unless there's something else I don't get. It seems that both processes get you to the same place? Or am I still missing something?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 18, 2015 at 9:15:02 pm

[Bill Davis] "Or am I still missing something?"

You're missing the fact that the FCPX process takes significantly more steps. This could easily be solved by adding an 'import image sequence' function, which already exists in Compressor and QuickTime 7.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 18, 2015 at 9:16:15 pm

[Oliver Peters] "You're missing the fact that the FCPX process takes significantly more steps."

And the fact that your Event is now cluttered with a ton of single frame images that are unnecessary.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 18, 2015 at 10:32:52 pm

[Oliver Peters] "And the fact that your Event is now cluttered with a ton of single frame images that are unnecessary."

The event structure in X is super flexible.
Make an event JUST for the animation - put a "Z" on it's name - it sorts at the end of all your events out of sight when not being used and you just keep it closed. Simple.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 18, 2015 at 10:38:50 pm

[Bill Davis] "The event structure in X is super flexible.
Make an event JUST for the animation - put a "Z" on it's name - it sorts at the end of all your events out of sight when not being used and you just keep it closed. Simple."

Sorry Bill, I don't mean to be picky but how is that simple compared to a single mouse click to "import image sequence"?

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 19, 2015 at 12:23:56 am

[Steve Connor] "Sorry Bill, I don't mean to be picky but how is that simple compared to a single mouse click to "import image sequence"?"

That comment was in response to Oliver's mentioning "events cluttered with animation stills." The way it works in X, you just import them into their own Event and keep the event closed.

Clutter level Zero.

You can draw from all events across all projects at will - so again, there's just big penalty for doing this.

Honestly, if handling image sequences presents a difference between one click and 5 seconds and (lets wildly overestimate and imagine) 10 whole clicks eating up 20 seconds — for something I MAYBE do once a month(!) - I don't think that's any sort of a big deal.

Do you really?

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Sep 19, 2015 at 1:39:04 pm

Not wanting to get into this lively argument, but, Bill, do check out Steve Martin's QT7 workflow that I referenced above - it has interesting advantages, not least that you can create a reference movie that FCP X will read which makes the whole process nice and streamlined.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 19, 2015 at 6:24:46 pm

Thanks Simon!

That QuickTime Pro workflow was sweet and not something I had encountered before.

I'll bookmark that for the next time I want to do a DSLR Timelapse. .

Looks really useful if I decide to go beyond the "put my two GoPros on tall stands and see if they get something useful" workflow I usually go to now. Timelapse is NOT a big part of my practice - just an occasional "value add" if the situation seems to warrant it.

Appreciate the info.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 19, 2015 at 7:04:25 pm

[Bill Davis] "That QuickTime Pro workflow was sweet and not something I had encountered before. "

FWIW - Simon posted this same tip 2 days ago as well, before this lengthy back and forth about image sequences. In fact, that's the post Shawn originally responded to.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 18, 2015 at 10:25:55 pm

[Oliver Peters] "You're missing the fact that the FCPX process takes significantly more steps. This could easily be solved by adding an 'import image sequence' function, which already exists in Compressor and QuickTime 7."

Huh? I can go from an event full of separate shots to a compound clip in less than10 seconds. How often do you guys import image strings? For me, it's a special effect, not a regular part of my timeline editing.

How is this a problem?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 18, 2015 at 10:29:18 pm

If it was the other way round, you'd be saying " see look how easy FCPX can import an image sequence in one single click"

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 18, 2015 at 10:42:27 pm

[Steve Connor] "If it was the other way round, you'd be saying " see look how easy FCPX can import an image sequence in one single click""

Maybe. But I do image sequence work in maybe 1 out of 50 projects. Not having that is WAY outside my radar.

Heck, even if I did one a week, that 10 second process just isn't something I'm concerned about. I can get the job done. It's not hard. End of story for me. If you live in image sequences, I get that you'd like it to be like it was in the program you learned on. That's totally understandable. But if you try to code in "peripheral use case convenience" for EVERY specialized need, - well the term "bloatware" comes to mind? Or not. maybe this is a big deal breaker for all editors but I just don't get it. (Wouldn't be the first time!)

I occasionally need to manage image sequences. I can. I'm good.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 18, 2015 at 10:51:45 pm

[Bill Davis] " How often do you guys import image strings? For me, it's a special effect, not a regular part of my timeline editing."

For those of us who work with raw formats from the Blackmagic or Digital Bolex cameras, image sequence import is very valuable. It's also useful for cutting animation sequences before they go off to compositing.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 19, 2015 at 12:29:34 am

[Shawn Miller] "For those of us who work with raw formats from the Blackmagic or Digital Bolex cameras, image sequence import is very valuable. It's also useful for cutting animation sequences before they go off to compositing. "

Shawn,

I never once said it's not valuable. I said that X does it just fine. Folks are arguing that it's not AS easy in X as it is in other programs. Fine.Let's stipulate that It's not as easy. My point is so what? If it was not as easy AND something editors commonly did 50 times an hour - I'd be interested. But it's something I do once in a while. So I'm not.

Is this really worth the time we've already spent discussing it. Or are we working really hard to argue about something not really worth arguing about.

I think so. So I'll stop here.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 19, 2015 at 1:36:16 am

[Bill Davis] "[Shawn Miller] "For those of us who work with raw formats from the Blackmagic or Digital Bolex cameras, image sequence import is very valuable. It's also useful for cutting animation sequences before they go off to compositing. "

Shawn,

I never once said it's not valuable. I said that X does it just fine. Folks are arguing that it's not AS easy in X as it is in other programs. Fine.Let's stipulate that It's not as easy. My point is so what? If it was not as easy AND something editors commonly did 50 times an hour - I'd be interested. But it's something I do once in a while. So I'm not."

So... your point is that you don't use image sequences very often, so there's no point in being able to import and use them like any other media type?

[Bill Davis] "Is this really worth the time we've already spent discussing it. Or are we working really hard to argue about something not really worth arguing about."

I don't think there was an argument until you jumped in. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 19, 2015 at 8:35:00 am

Well then please enlighten me.

To get this magical image sequence capability all i Have to do is switch to AVID or maybe Premiere Pro?

So how do I recapture my $300 loss this year and the ongoing money I lose every year from now on since I already have software perfectly capable of the same basic function?

Seems kinda like pissing money away without much of any real return.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 19, 2015 at 6:11:00 pm

[Bill Davis] "Well then please enlighten me.

To get this magical image sequence capability all i Have to do is switch to AVID or maybe Premiere Pro?

So how do I recapture my $300 loss this year and the ongoing money I lose every year from now on since I already have software perfectly capable of the same basic function?

Seems kinda like pissing money away without much of any real return."

I'm sorry, I don't follow... I don't think anyone suggested switching NLEs to get direct image sequence import. If it's not an important feature for you, why are you fighting so hard keep up the conversation about it? Are you offended that I asked the question?

Shawn

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 19, 2015 at 6:33:16 pm

No, and sorry. Sometimes I just like to mix it up in debate. I find it stimulating to challenge assumptions and debate stuff. I know some see it as combativeness and idiocy - but for me it's an antidote to blind acceptance and disengagement. And really, if I hadn't pushed this thread - I might not have ever run across Steve and Marks tip that Simon referenced. ; )

Life is a stew. Sometimes stirring it up yields better results?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 18, 2015 at 11:24:23 pm

[Bill Davis] "Huh? I can go from an event full of separate shots to a compound clip in less than10 seconds. How often do you guys import image strings? For me, it's a special effect, not a regular part of my timeline editing. "

As has already been pointed out, cameras like BMD's cameras record DNG image sequences as an option. I have 5 shots from the "Afterglow" demo clips that were originally posted by DP John Brawley. 5 short shots are 552 separate frames. Now granted, I think editing natively with image sequence camera footage is not the right way to go, but, it is something to deal with. You don't want to bring in a bunch of camera clips as individual stills, because it would be completely unwieldy. However, no matter what, it's completely easier to simply select one file and automatically import the full shot as a single piece of media, compared with the goofy workaround FCPX forces you to do.

A further consideration is that NLEs do not handle tons of files well. The programming is based on number of media objects and when you throw 552 frames at an NLE for 5 shots, it must deal with them as 552 objects instead of 5 objects. Enough of that and it becomes a huge drag on the system. There are only a few NLEs that are built based on individual frames under the hood. These include Quantel and Scratch to name a few. And even there it only works well when back by serious storage.

The bottom line is that you are arguing hard against something that Apple already knows how to do and has already partially implemented in its other current apps. So even though you don't see the point, a lot of other folks do and for Apple this should be a no-brainer. But heck, if iMovie doesn't do it, why should FCPX?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Sep 19, 2015 at 11:54:47 am

Oliver,

not only Compressor and Quicktime 7 can handle Image Sequences. Motion as well. You can import footage as image sequences.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 19, 2015 at 1:09:15 pm

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "not only Compressor and Quicktime 7 can handle Image Sequences. Motion as well. You can import footage as image sequences."

Right. So my point is that the code is already there. Simply add it to X, if it isn't already there under-the-hood anyway. It's a pretty simple feature request for just another way to process media, so I'm surprised that Bill is putting up such resistance.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Sep 19, 2015 at 5:36:39 am

Yes to d)! One of the cool things in Resolve 12 is the ignore file extension checkbox when importing an XML so you can re-link to any format as long as the filename is the same. This would be awesome in FCPX.

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Sep 17, 2015 at 10:48:55 pm

Great list as always Oliver.

I'll add the same one I've been asking for since the first day FCP X was released.

1) Allow key-framing in the cold corrector.

2) Under bug fix, allow me to razor blade a clip without losing the audio waveforms. I shouldn't have to zoom in or zoom out the timeline to restore them...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 17, 2015 at 11:13:32 pm

[Mitch Ives] "1) Allow key-framing in the cold corrector."

Although it doesn't fix the issue, you might want to play around with this little color correction plug-in I compiled:

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2015/07/04/building-fcp-x-effects-update...

The Motion template download link is at the bottom of the post.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Sep 18, 2015 at 2:06:24 am

[Oliver Peters] "Although it doesn't fix the issue, you might want to play around with this little color correction plug-in I compiled:

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2015/07/04/building-fcp-x-effects-update....."

Thanks Oliver...

Has anybody at Apple ever explained why we could keyframe color correction in FCP 7 but not FCP X?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 19, 2015 at 5:20:05 am

Because Bill only needs it once in every 50 projects. It would just make FCP X bloatware. He can do it with a workaround.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Sep 18, 2015 at 12:10:55 am

Hi Oliver,

my list, that I send to Apple sometimes, sometimes updated after a new FCPX update:

- Remove Attributes button

- A kind of batch export

- If you export for instance, 3 timelines in the background, you only see the first file by name.
The one below, awaiting, just say: 'Master File'. Why can't you say the name of the project or timeline? So you can get a quick idea of what you are already exporting and if you forgot anything.
If it's the same timeline you are exporting multiple times, with changes, let's have it say the name of the sequence with the date and exact time of the export?

- If you click Expand All in the menu for expanding video and audio, that it expands every clip in the timeline, INCLUDING the ones you put in the timeline AFTER you pushed the Expand All option. It reduces the amound of clicking. If you want to edit with an expanded view of audio seperately, you click expand all, and edit the way you want. If you put new clips in the timeline, you don't have to press again and again in the menu. The same goes for Components. Could be nice to just have it as a viewing mode.

- More RAW controls from REDCINE in the R3D Hud, including (big one) the eyedropper tool to very quickly and automatically set white balance.

- Have a simple white balance tool in your standard color tools, like the one from RED. Let it be a tool you can switch on or off.

- A timecode HUD with much more timecode options. Seeing in one view the timecodes of everything in the timeline (like the old timecode overlay in FCP7), optional of course. Being able to COPY and PASTE a timecode from a clip instead of manually having to feed it always, like you could in FCP 7. You could just copy the timecode from the viewer of canvas.

- A well made timecode reader/generator effect, not only a generator. (have both). Like the old one: read timecode, generate one, custom, ... Now, we have to work trough compound clips with timecode generators above, which seems unnecessary. To be able to read source timecode.

- More options from Color. Tracker. Sharpening, denoising,... Maybe have a seperate Color Room? (same with Audio?)

- If you click to have Proxy Media Playback, put a warning side if media hasn't been converted to Proxy yet, but don't have it be offline completely. It sometimes doesn't make sense to transcode EVERYTHING in your timeline to Proxy Media. Only being able to transcode a portion of it, and just see a small subtle warning sign in the rest without hindering your ability to work with it, would be much better!

- 'Break Apart Compound Clip' back in the contextual right-mouse click menu.

- At Audio Enchancements, at the background Noise Removal option, have a small button to set the noise print, as you could with Soundtrack Pro. I don't know if the technology now in FCP X is the same as in Soundtrack Pro, but I'm getting much worse results (frankly, I never get good ones, and thus never use it) when using the remove background noise option in FCP X. Maybe having the option to manually set the noise print, will get better results back?

- Roles based mixer, with color coding etc.

- Being able to give Color Corrections names, instead of just the automated numbers.

- Have a quick way of putting audio back to a clip after detaching it. (and if they are out of sync, maybe have a dialogue box or something to choose if you want to keep it out of sync, or put it back to it's default?) And/or better/easier solutions for working with a recording where for instance, all audio is 4 frames out of sync.

- Have the Background Render option be REALLY background. So for instance, when you are working, it keeps rendering, but like with one core or something. So it's low taxing on the system, but you can really keep working.

- Please make it possible to have your transform, and crop tools in the inspector change in stacking order together with effects. Being able for instance, to put a crop ABOVE or BELOW a 3rd party effect for instance. Now there are many work-around necessary (compounding) to do this. (and some things are just impossible)

- The background Dashboard hud dissapears when going into another application. Not that handy.

- This feature could maybe be a work-around for the dashboard dissapearing, although it would be nice to have both: In the Share Monitor program, have a look at what you are exporting in every program (FCPX, Motion 5, Compressor 4). They all share the same engine. Having the Share Monitor open and being able to see what you are exporting in FCP X next to your regular Compressor Batch would be great. Having a seperate tab or something like that.

- When making a new compound clip, being able to immediately say which keyword it needs to have. Now, if you need to make a lot of them, and you are making compound clips from clips in a keyword-collection (which we do, to have a timecode generator on them, because we miss having a timecode hud), you always get thrown back into your Event, instead of staying within that keyword collection, and then you have to manually search the compound clip and assign a keyword to the compound clip again.

- In an Event, in your viewing options, you can choose to display: "no rating or keyword selections". I like that option, but it would be extra nice if you have an extra viewing option with separate: "no rating" "no keyword", next to the excisting option of both.

- Being able to have a Proxy with Alpha channel (have the software detect that automatically? Make Prores 4444 in those cases?)

- In the transform Tools, have full Rotation controls. So for instance, only with the Y axis for instance.

- The last view of your viewing modes of your clips in the timeline is very small, which makes it very handy if you are working with many layers and don't need to see thumbnails. It would be great to have fade handles for audio in that viewing mode. And maybe also have an expanded audio components view in that mode, but I would consider that less important.

- Having Snapping also work with for instance, doing retiming (with Hold Frames) on multiple secondary storylines above each other.

- If you have for instance 4 layers of video, with each of them having 4 clips next to each other… Once you make a couple of clips in a layer of video into a secondary storyline there is a minimal height difference. This becomes annoying when working with multiple layers of video, and you want to check and go from one of them to the other. (for instance, by putting transitions between them).

- At this point it seems impossible if you use Match EQ, to apply the match with the same clip, but just an other audio component. If I have one clip with 2 tracks of audio components, and I want to match channel 1 with channel 2, I cannot do so. I need to copy the clip, and make sure it's physically another clip on the timeline. This seems a lot of unnecessary steps and gets in the way of what the whole Audio Component feature is about.

- Being able to drop a complete folder in Compressor. And make Smart Folders or Quees. Compressor has Job Actions now, but it would be great if you could tell it to use every movie that arrives in a folder (including things you are currently rendering out in FCPX, but you are leaving the computer overnight), to compress that to a couple of things. I know you SORT OF can get that now by sharing in FCPX to multiple things, but it would be a nice feature for Compressor to have too.

- A way to 'lock' edits/Projects, with a simple lock-icon like in system preferences. Snapshot seems to be a way, I’m just wondering if a lock icon is not more universal and easily understandable.

- it would be great if you could select all your markers in the timeline index, and make them into another kind of marker, with one command, or one click. Like making all your markers chapter markers, or making all your markers to do items, etc. ...

- Having a way of seperately consolidating only your Proxy Media to another folder like you want.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 18, 2015 at 12:21:28 am

Nice list.

[Mathieu Ghekiere] "- Being able to have a Proxy with Alpha channel (have the software detect that automatically? Make Prores 4444 in those cases?)"

Maybe Apple needs to create an additional codec in the family. ProRes Proxy+alpha. Basically a very highly compressed PR4444.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Sep 18, 2015 at 12:33:57 am

Yeah, I've thought about that too. On the other hand, I would *think* that in a project you probably mostly don't have a LOT of stuff with an alpha channel (mostly some small graphical stuff) and it wouldn't be a problem for *most* projects to have the software make Prores 4444 for those clips.

Return to posts index

Gerry Fraiberg
on Sep 18, 2015 at 1:19:00 am

I'm surprised nobody mentioned scrolling timeline. Or did I miss it?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 18, 2015 at 2:59:01 am

Targeting roles while editing much as one would target video or audio to a track. In some cases, it's easier for me to do it while editing rather than in advance or having to change it once in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 18, 2015 at 1:33:45 pm

I find it interesting that even the strongest proponents of FCPX seem to still miss features they had in a track-based systems.

Asking for a region for non-connected clips is essentially just that. What always bugs me about connected clips is that they have different attributes than clips on a storyline and are rather limited until you place them into a secondary storyline. Again, this seems like another situation where by going to a trackless paradigm, we gave up some important functions.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 18, 2015 at 2:23:05 pm

I think Roles are potentially much more flexible and useful than tracks (for me) but I don't think has done much to take the new paradigm much further in that area since the release.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 18, 2015 at 8:35:58 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I find it interesting that even the strongest proponents of FCPX seem to still miss features they had in a track-based systems."

But would anyone give up THIS - for that?
(From the Cow Archives, no less.)

https://library.creativecow.net/articles/payton_t/FCPX_Editing-During-Playb...

Magnetic re-editing WHILE in playback. Kinda awesome.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 18, 2015 at 8:55:21 pm

[Bill Davis] "But would anyone give up THIS - for that?"

Sure. I could care less about the magnetic timeline. It's a nice gimmick that saves a few keystrokes and causes other pain. I simply don't find it that useful. And yes, I've actually done live editing during playback and it comes with a number of issues, like the fact that you aren't necessarily where you think you are on the timeline after you've made the edit.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 18, 2015 at 9:14:24 pm

Ah. Now some of your comparative explorations of X make more sense to me. And I think that's fine. Not everyone will resonate with something like a magnetic timeline.

You clearly understand X. But don't really "feel" it like those of us who have adapted fully and deeply miss magnetism when we have to cut without it.

I have to confess that I too worked with it with interest - but without much passion for it - until I had a huge audio editing project and in the middle of it, realized that magnetism BY ITSELF was an actual edit function that could save me HUGE amounts of work.

Different strokes and all.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 18, 2015 at 9:23:14 pm

[Bill Davis] "You clearly understand X. But don't really "feel" it like those of us who have adapted fully and deeply miss magnetism when we have to cut without it."

Let's just say that I find it less useful than traditional extract and track-move functions. For example, you have a 90 minute timeline with lots of connected clips throughout. Try to move a clip with 6 connected clips from 5 minutes on the timeline down to 85 minutes. The FCPX magnetic timeline is very hard to navigate in this situation and tends to choke because of what you are asking it to do. In other NLEs, it might take more keystrokes and require copy & paste or sub-sequences, but the timeline is far easier to navigate and the application stays behaved in the process.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 18, 2015 at 10:27:45 pm

[Bill Davis] "realized that magnetism BY ITSELF was an actual edit function that could save me HUGE amounts of work.
"

For the uninitiated, please explain how that saved you work

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 19, 2015 at 12:49:36 am

[Steve Connor] "For the uninitiated, please explain how that saved you work"

Here's a simple example from last week...

I had an audio track I was working on representing 30 "takes" of soundbites. I'd inserted 30 gap clips between them (next edit command W)

I now need to trim the top and tail of each audio clip so that they are clean bites.

Because the X timeline is magnetic, I can simply PLAY the clip - the playhead moves past the GAP and towards the audio. I can see the waveform for guidance. When my playhead reaches the point where I want the TRIM to take place, I tap G which I've mapped as a TOP edit.

I've targeted nothing. I've selected nothing. I'm just playing along. The moment I hit G - the cut is made, the clip range is deleted to the prior edit - AND the resulting gap is perfectly closed magnetically. The playhead keeps playing. At the end of the clip, I tap H (mapped to TAIL) and again, the clip end is precision trimmed.

I keep moving. If I'm off on a cut, I can space bar pause, Undo, JKL backup a ways - and re-do it on the fly.

No selecting any ins or outs, I just play and cut and cut and cut in real time - and let magnetism do the rest.

Works with video just as well.

One tiny example.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Sep 19, 2015 at 1:12:22 am

[Bill Davis] "Because the X timeline is magnetic, I can simply PLAY the clip - the playhead moves past the GAP and towards the audio. I can see the waveform for guidance. When my playhead reaches the point where I want the TRIM to take place, I tap G which I've mapped as a TOP edit.

I've targeted nothing. I've selected nothing. I'm just playing along. The moment I hit G - the cut is made, the clip range is deleted to the prior edit - AND the resulting gap is perfectly closed magnetically. The playhead keeps playing. At the end of the clip, I tap H (mapped to TAIL) and again, the clip end is precision trimmed."

No offense, but I was doing that on an old Avid Xpress system 10 years ago. The magnetic timeline has nothing to do with it. Top and Tail, by their very nature, remove media from the playhead to the top or tail of a clip and close the gap. The only difference was that I had to hit L or spacebar to play after I Top or Tailed a clip since the system wasn't capable of continuously playing. But that was just one quick keystroke and never interrupted the flow of what I was doing.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 19, 2015 at 8:10:30 am

If all you ever want is what you had 10 years ago in AVID - have fun with that.

I prefer the thinking in X.

"Hey, we can get this down to ONE tap And it's a repetitive operation, not something editors only do once a week or once a month. but maybe hundreds or even thousands if times on long audio edits. Should we? And now that we have defined and coded how a magnetic timeline operates, what else can we do with it? - What can we use it for VERTICALLY? How about eliminating the the forced stacking of empty tracks? What about magnetically connecting titles in time to the position he editor has determined. How about making separated audio tracks OPTIONAL for clips that arrive with embedded sync sound?

Yes you were doing something similar in AVID for years. And paying significantly for the privilege. Now I get that for $299 in code that screams on my laptop PLUS i can own it.

I'm good thanks.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 19, 2015 at 5:43:55 am

Why press pause? Why not just undo an click in the timeline before the edit. No need to stop playing, undo, and all this JKL business. cmd z, click. Keep working.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Sep 18, 2015 at 2:34:22 pm

Awesome list Oliver, and great thread. Here are some things I'd like to see added, which I believe Apple could do given the framework they've built (some may be duplicates from your list and other lists already posted):

1. Custom columns in the Event Browser (additional comments, framing, location, whatever you want to call your column…). You can add custom stuff in the inspector but it doesn't show up as a column in the Event Browser. I'd like to either see custom info in the inspector show up as a column option, or just add the ability to add custom columns.

2. Add info to columns on multiple clips directly in the Event browser (example - add Wide to the Framing column for all selected clips). Right now you can only do this in the inspector. Allow duplicating a column to another column (see Avid for an example of how it could be done).

3. Zoom into the waveforms in the Event Browser in list view, or add waveforms to event viewer and allow zooming there. See Premiere Pro for how this could work.

4. Realtime JKL trimming. How is this not already there?

5. Select trim sides with just keyboard shortcuts for connected clips and secondary storylines.

6. Select video and audio for trimming when audio is expanded.

7. Enlarge only audio clips in timeline, or only video clips in the timeline. The default views are okay, but sometimes I want huge waveforms with very, very small video frames.

8. Allow “clip height” in the timeline to be mapped to the keyboard.

9. Scrolling timeline.

10. Default export name matches the project/clip you have selected to export. And batch exports.

11. Export regular Quicktime that obeys the activated/deactivated roles in the inspector, rather than having to do a multitrack export. If a role is turned off in the inspector, don't export it. Or make it an option to ignore role activation or honor role activation.

12. Allow mixing of Optimized/Proxy/High Quality media in the same project. Not an all or nothing approach. And alpha channels in proxy mode are a must.

13. Remember last opened project when you open a library, or give us the option to not have a project open when you open a library. FCPX seems to randomly pick projects now.

14. Default to start on the “Select Library” function without having to close all libraries prior to quitting FCPX.

15. Allow option to only show libraries in the location(s) you choose. So if you move a library to a new folder it doesn't go an find it and continue to display it.

16. Add ability to select connected clip/secondary storyline with the keyboard. The playhead has a ball on it - the selection should honor whatever that ball is over, and you should be able to move it up and down with the keyboard.

17. Disable “select clip under the mouse”, or make it a user option. I'd prefer to have it select the clip under the playhead/ball rather than the mouse.

18. More window panes so you can open multiple events at once. Make them dockable and floatable (see Premiere Pro).

19. “Select media relatives” by selecting a project. See Avid's "Select media relatives" on how it could work.

20. Color coding clips/roles. These need to be reflected in the timeline.

21. Markers on raw footage need to carry over when the clip becomes part of a sync clip.

22. Match frame to shot goes to the clip it was pulled from (if a favorite, goes to the favorite). Match frame again and it goes to the original clip. Same with sync clips. Match frame to the sync, matchframe the sync it goes to the original clip. This will require Apple to add a way to match frame the video or audio though. See Avid for how this could work.

23. Allow marking in/out on secondary storylines without having to drag the range selector. If I have the secondary storyline selected and choose to mark the clip, then set a new in point/out point (I do this a lot when editing music), it defaults to the primary storyline. I'm forced to use the range selector and the mouse or to add cut points. I find both inefficient.

24. Independent timecode window. I want to be able to show current time, elapsed time, In/Out, time remaining, drop frame/non-drop at different frame rates, etc...all in one dockable window.

25. Be able to cut/lift just the audio from a clip in the timeline (removing an Uh, Um, etc…) without having to detach audio. Hopefully there's already a way to do this and I just haven't figured it out.

26. Break apart clips/detach audio shows sync indicators.

27. Fix the waveforms - they disappear far to often.

28. Give us the option to see full, regular waveforms (Premiere has this as an option and it's great).

29. Give option for “focus remain on timeline after edit”, rather than always putting the focus back on the event browser.

30. Conform offspeed clips in the event browser. If I have 60p footage I want played at 24p I'd like to be able to batch conform it in the event browser so I can view it at the 24p playback speed, prior to cutting it into the sequence. Premiere does a great job of this and could be used an example.

31. Support CDL information.

32. Roles based audio mixing.

33. Improve trimming, including a 4-up display when trimming with the keyboard.

34. Customizable workspaces (this one seems popular).

35. Real background transcoding/rendering. And give us more transcode options.

36. Fix the lag when projects become large/complex, or have a lot of generators.

37. Add the ability to merge external metadata onto imported clips (see Avid's ALE and merge options for how this could work).

38. Develop a true project sharing workflow (see Avid as an example).

39. Project consolidation with trimmed media and with a transcode option (perhaps transcoding only specific codecs/cameras/roles/etc...)

40. Refresh timeline/project, where I can apply a role to a clip at any point in a project and have it update in my sequence with the new role after manually invoke a project/timeline refresh. See Avid and it's Refresh Sequence options with source settings/motion adapters, etc... Roles are super powerful, and this would make them even more so, and would make inheriting projects from disorganized editors/producers a lot faster and easier to fix.

41. Ignore gaps clips when selecting multiple clips in the timeline. Ironically enough this was a huge issue with Avid and the finally made it an option to select/not select filler. I'd like to see the same option in FCPX.

I'm sure there's more if I really thought about it, but I think most or all of these are possible to implement without having to fundamentally change how FCPX operates. It's just adding more user options/power to what's already there.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 18, 2015 at 2:40:46 pm

Seeing two clips in a storyline when using two viewers. Currently there's only an additional Event Viewer. Two storyline Viewers would help to compare clips when color grading for example.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 19, 2015 at 1:49:29 pm

Since we are spit-balling anyway...

I mentioned fade behavior at the beginning, but there are some nice functions FCPX could also adopt from Sony Vegas and now Catalyst Edit. For example, when you slide or trim the edge of a clip over another, it automatically creates a dissolve. Logic Pro X also does something like this.

In addition LPX has the simple ability to swipe over the end of a clip with a fade tool to add a fade. No need to fiddle with little UI buttons like in X. Other apps, like Media Composer, also have fast (one-click) fade in/out tools similar to top & tail functions. Additionally in LPX, you can also drag the curve of the fade, so you aren't locked into preset fade curves.

When it comes to dissolves in general, it's about time to add start/center/end/custom functions. The default-to-center dissolve in X is often problematic. Especially in some cases when you remove it (start of timelines) and your timing changes.

And, as mentioned before, audio-only dissolves as a standard feature.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]