FORUMS: list search recent posts

Not to throw a wrench....

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Not to throw a wrench....
on Sep 16, 2015 at 8:59:47 pm

Sony Catalyst....now Mac and PC. Is this the Vegas rewrite we thought would never happen?

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/catalystedit

Debate.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Not to throw a wrench....
on Sep 16, 2015 at 10:27:51 pm

Check out "ripple edits."

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jarrod Fay
on Sep 16, 2015 at 10:44:16 pm

It checks all of the boxes of the NLE I already use... sold.

---> Jarrod

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 16, 2015 at 11:52:00 pm

No mention of a heap of common camera codecs particularly r3d, cDNG, Arri Alexa RAW.

Also does it output via common i/o cards like AJA or Decklink I wonder. Interesting that Sony have made it cross platform.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 16, 2015 at 11:55:31 pm

It supports Decklink

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 16, 2015 at 11:56:46 pm

Thanks Steve. I didn't see that in the tech specs

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 17, 2015 at 12:18:22 am

http://dspcdn.sonycreativesoftware.com/releasenotes/catalystedit_1.0.2_read...

There's a brief mention in paragraph 3.0

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Sep 17, 2015 at 12:01:14 am
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Sep 17, 2015 at 12:55:46 am

Very interesting. Looking forward to trying it out. Another hardware manufacturer releasing editing software at a low price. On looking at some reviews, it appears to be fairly simple. Worth checking out.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500, Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Sep 17, 2015 at 1:18:24 am
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Sep 17, 2015 at 1:19:02 am

Simple seems to be the word here. This is the only hands on review I have found so far. Don't think FCPX or Premiere have much to worry about, but I will give it a look.

http://australian-videocamera.com/issue/august-2015/article/sony-catalyst-s...

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500, Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 17, 2015 at 1:33:47 am

I've been working with the Catalyst products. Catalyst Edit is a lot like a hybrid of Vegas and FCP X. Right now, it's sort of positioned as a "pre-edit" tool. Also there's a pretty good tie-in to FCP X. It does not replace Vegas Pro (yet).

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Sep 17, 2015 at 2:55:35 am

Yea, Catalyst Edit is not a replacement for Vegas Pro yet, but it's moving in that direction. It has a long way to go because Vegas Pro is very deep but it is based on very old Video for Windows technology and was really in need of a technology upgrade and rewrite. Sony just made an announcement about the next version of Catalyst Edit at IBC:

Sony Upgrades Media Production Software at IBC

It's good to see they are steadily adding features.

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Sep 17, 2015 at 3:08:09 am

Glad to see Sony cameras and their post software being developed for the Mac.

Jim Wiseman

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 17, 2015 at 3:20:46 am

Hmmm,introducing the new, nimble thing....while continuing to nurture the deep-featured, well-loved, and widely adopted thing... whose fans have nonetheless been itching for its modernization....

...and the company, hoping to build attachment as current users can see for themselves the advantages of the new approach as it continues to mature, will allow users to choose the right balance between innovation and proven depth that makes the most sense for THEM....while the company continues its clearly stated plans for the future....

Nah. Never gonna work.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Sep 17, 2015 at 4:18:04 am

[Tim Wilson] "Nah. Never gonna work."

Stirrer :) Are you implying Sony do it differently to the "treat 'em mean...keep 'em keen" company?

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Sep 17, 2015 at 3:17:41 pm

I agree....Tim's sarcasm was so well written that it wasn't so clear what his point was....a deft pen for sure. Was it Sony of whom he spoke, Apple, or Adobe?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 17, 2015 at 6:16:53 pm

My point was just to be a wisenheimer. Wisenheimer is my native tongue.

I'm on record from the day they did it that Apple's approach of immediately going all in on X was exactly the right one. If Apple had ever awoken from a 3-day drunken bender, found themselves with a "Kiss Me I'm Apple" tattoo on their forehead, and no idea who was stupid enough to hire me, I'd have told them the same thing, repeatedly, and much too loudly for their hungover state until Apple security disappeared me for good.

Simply, a company with a foot in two canoes risks falling in the river. Either you're committed to the future you believe in, and put all your resources toward getting there, or you're not really committed. And if you're not really committed, why bother at all? That's why my advice to companies, people, and small dogs is always "Get out of your own way."

This is why I also wholeheartedly endorse Adobe's move. I'm also on record being a fan of subscription-only, but WHATEVER they believed their disruptive future to be, if they can implement now, they SHOULD implement it now. Frontload the disruption. It's always self-defeating to hold off your own future.

Of course, if Sony's goal is to keep two applications alive because they can't or don't want to translate all the key features of the old one to the new one, or they really do want to cultivate two audiences, well then, they're already carrying out their plan, and I wish them godspeed.

But if they're trying to "learn" from Apple's experience by pulling off the band-aid as slowly as possible, I'd say that they're taking the wrong lesson.

That said, Sony has wisely chosen not to share their internal dynamics or future plans with me, but I've never let the absence of facts deter me from having strong opinions.

I should note that I really like Vegas (although not its unfortunate name so much). I think it has always been given short shrift by Mac users who've never taken the time to see what it can do. Not that it would convert them, but hey, this is a cool field, and Vegas is one of the cooler things in it. I've never understood not wanting to see it all, even if I'll never use it.

But mostly I just saw the opportunity for a joke that I couldn't pass up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]