FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keyflow Pro with FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thomas Frank
Keyflow Pro with FCPX
on Sep 15, 2015 at 7:16:43 pm

What you guys think about using Keyflow Pro in 5 workstation shop with FCPX?
There are few things I don't like about Keyflow Pro which I hope will be added in the upcoming update.

But for now I was thinking about using it on all workstation but hosting it on workstation 1 where all the footage is stored on the connected Pegasus as a "server" where all the libraries will be located.
Over the other 4 workstation the editors can then brows the libraries and download the footage they need for there projects.

So basically using it as a Event Browser extension.

The other concept was using Arctic Final Cut Library Manager to search through the FCPX Library that are stored on the Pegasus.

What you guys think?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Keyflow Pro with FCPX
on Sep 16, 2015 at 5:51:28 am

With KFP how are you viewing the content of the FCPX Libraries (and Camera Archives if you're using those as well) or are the names themselves useful enough for you?

I'm looking forward to their update as well as I like the UI.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Sep 18, 2015 at 12:54:22 am

KFP support just told me that you can't copy or merge libraries and they have no idea why I would want to do that.

I'm afraid this is a crazy expensive app that is essentially a very fancy finder keyword tagger. You can't have multiple libraries open at once, you can't share projects, you can't import another library into your current library, you can't move the library at the finder level, you can't rename the library at finder level, etc.
I thought maybe some of these things would be addressed but I'm losing confidence.

Saying this integrates with FCPX is kind of a joke.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 18, 2015 at 2:35:10 am

[John Davidson] "KFP support just told me that you can't copy or merge libraries and they have no idea why I would want to do that."

Did you explain why that's important? I was going to put in a feature request for that. Flexibility to recombine because, over time, old media may have new uses, One might want to create project specific combinations.

[John Davidson] "you can't move the library at the finder level"

One should be able to reorganize from time to time. It should also be able to search paths to see if new files have been added.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Sep 19, 2015 at 12:04:56 am

Yeah I did. We have TB's of graphic elements, footage, 3D model libraries, etc that our Art Director has meticulously organized in KFP. I have tons of show episodes and footage that has been organized on my library. There's no way to merge them or even share a single project. If you could have two Libraries open at once at least you'd be able to drag drop, but that isn't possible either.

In theory you could tag each project and all the files in it and then recreate all of that in a new library, but that's still a lot of work to do.

On top of all that, Yosemite doesn't handle tags well at all on shared storage, so tagging tons of media isn't much help outside of KFP. It's frustrating.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Sep 21, 2015 at 2:16:35 pm

So far it has been working fine as mentioned above. And I finally figure out a way to use the clips without downloading them. Simply mounting the Library then Drag and Drop in FCPX.
This only works when the clips are imported with the option "Leave In Place".

Anybody figured out how to get FCPX metadata (Reel, Notes and etc...) into Keyflow Pro and vice versa?
Wondering if it is possible to assign location in the Map view to individual clips? This would be awesome!

Not really happy about the support still no reply after two emails. ;(

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 21, 2015 at 3:03:56 pm

I can't import clips from FCPX Camera Archives. I can't import XDCAM EX or XAVC-L camera clips.
Perhaps you've found solutions for these. Am I overlooking something?
For me, I want to manage my camera sources.

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Sep 21, 2015 at 7:04:42 pm

[John Davidson] "crazy expensive app"

$199 IBC special! not too expensive as far as MAMs (or even baby MAMs) go.

kk

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Sep 21, 2015 at 2:19:03 pm

Actually we are just importing the clips from the FCPX Libraries and leaving them in place.
So far everything is working fine in FCPX after dragon and dropping them from KeyFlow Pro without downloading them.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 21, 2015 at 3:10:48 pm

[Thomas Frank] "Actually we are just importing the clips from the FCPX Libraries"

When I import an FCPX Library it sees no clips, just the library itself. It doesn't seem to open the FCPX Library bundle just as it doesn't seem to open FCPX Camera Archives.

Return to posts index

Thomas Frank
on Sep 22, 2015 at 7:21:47 am

Yes, this is true it will see the Library as a file not what is within the Package Content.
What I do is show all Package Content in the Finder and taget the fold there for import.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 22, 2015 at 2:41:02 pm

Thanks for that clarification. If only KeyFlow Pro could do that from within. I guess I could do the same with Camera Archives but having to go through about four years worth....

They are working on things though so I'm going to toss them a few more feature requests.

Return to posts index

Petros Kolyvas
on Oct 2, 2015 at 6:46:35 pm

I had a usage case where I thought Keyflow Pro would be ideal. Turns out it's both very close and very far.

We have a need to have someone with little to no knowledge of Final Cut look at some B-Roll. I thought Keyflow Pro would be perfect, I could link to the media, create preview files and the user in question could connect to our office via VPN to review footage and tag/mark it up as necessary.

It turns out (was in fact hiding in plain sight), that "collaboration" really only means another user can see, download from, your library. They can't work within it, tag footage, etc.

Too bad, that would have been the silver bullet for us.

Feature request logged - otherwise, it's a nice app. A few quirks, but mostly straighforward and fairly nice, clean design aesthetical that's approachable for non-editors.

--
There is no intuitive interface, not even the nipple. It's all learned. - Bruce Ediger

Return to posts index

Jasmine Shin
on Oct 28, 2015 at 1:53:33 am

Thank you for your feedback.
Our team will keep updating our software with killer features.

Currently, KeyFlow Pro has been updated to v1.1.

Here’s what’s new in version 1.1.

- Import .MTS files individually from AVCHD package
- Uploading media files to Remote Library
- Run workflow for media which are imported from Watch Folder or Final Cut Pro X (selectable)
- Create Tags from folders when importing media and add those to Finder Tags (selectable)
- Support for and/or search in basic search field
- Support for TIFF, IPTC Core and IPTC Extension metadata
- Add a Path Name criteria for Smart MediaBox
- Share video to Vimeo
- Various bug fixes and improvements

For more information, please visit our website.

If you have any questions or requests, please contact us via email. (keyflowpro@malgn.com)

Thanks,
KeyFlow Pro Team

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Apr 25, 2016 at 7:35:05 am

FYI that problem is fixed. Users can now edit remote libraries. With a little port forwarding, they can work remotely over the Internet. Why go to the office.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 26, 2016 at 12:37:19 am

BTW,

John did an excellent overview of the product in his demo at NAB in the FCPeXchange suite.

The video should be on-line in just a few days.

If you want a great tour of KeyFlow Pro workflow = either myself of the FCPWorks team will make an announcement soon of where the videos are being hosted.

Good stuff!

New signature under construction and coming soon. Please stand by...

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 26, 2016 at 1:48:09 am

Longtime COW Mathieu Marano also provided on-the-spot NAB podcast coverage that he's just posted at his COW blog, NAB 2016: KeyFlow Pro, affordable asset management.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]