FORUMS: list search recent posts

IBC Conference

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
IBC Conference
on Sep 12, 2015 at 3:06:21 pm

I presume that some of the folks who drop in here are at the show. Perceptions? The press coming out of there so far seems like Blackmagic and Adobe are the main news. Any presence of FCPX either officially or unofficially? Anyone attend Walter Murch's presentation? I presume he's talking about cutting on Premiere Pro.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: IBC Conference
on Sep 13, 2015 at 4:51:41 pm

Our co-production of the FCP EXPO had the largest concentration of Final Cut Pro X-centric presentations, including an Apple preso. You can follow here. On the show floor, FCPX was visible at the usual suspects booths- integrations with Softron, Cantemo, AJA, Blackmagic, etc.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Sep 14, 2015 at 1:01:44 am

I wish I could have been there -
both Ronnie Courtens (my current hero) and Sam Mestman (the most knowledgeable guy about FCP-X in the US) giving talks on PROFESSIONAL workflow.

But aren't these the two guys who represent the exact opposite of what Apple really wants - to allow any high school kid can do what we do ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Sep 15, 2015 at 6:15:09 am

I would see that as a strength of FCPX. Those pushing the high end and those starting out only differentiated by their talent or ambition. I'd rather watch the work of the experienced ones, but am glad for those coming up. If Apple can produce software for both, more power to them. The experienced individuals with talent have nothing to worry about, but should be aware of those coming up. Thanks for starting this discussion over the last couple of weeks, Bob.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500, Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Sep 15, 2015 at 9:25:27 am
Last Edited By Ronny Courtens on Sep 15, 2015 at 9:40:32 am

I was pleasantly surprised to see so many people attending the FCP Expo event. It's been great to meet Noah, Sam and many others in person. But it's also been amazing to see so much interest for FCP X from large broadcast companies and post houses. Some people I know flew over from different parts of Europe, only to attend the FCP X presentations. The people from Apple were there during the entire event, from morning to evening, talking with attendants and listening to them. And they really took their time, which has been greatly appreciated by everyone I have talked with.

From what I understood, the presentations will be posted online. This was the first time ever that I accepted to do a public presentation, and I have no regrets at all. When I did my preso the room was packed, people were very interested and many questions were asked (and, hopefully, answered once and for all). We had so many interesting contacts during and after the event that I haven't even been at IBC, nor at the sponsored supermeet. No big loss, for us this has been a very rewarding experience.

As to your question, Bob:

I think one of the major strengths of FCP X is exactly what you say: the application is so intuitive and visual that it can be learned very easily by any high-school kid. But it is also so deep and powerful that any true professional can use it happily on any high-end job. And this is what makes it so appealing for large multi-user setups where many creative professionals who are not full-fledged editors (journalists, directors, post producers, interns...) work together with hardcore editors, colorists and sound mixers on a fast shared storage network to create and deliver a TV program or movie. Everyone does his job right from within the FCP X interface, no-one ever needs to mess around with folders or files on the network, and no-one even has to care about how things work internally. Everyone can do his specific job and be creative without being slowed down by technical barriers or bloated interfaces. And they like it this way. This is probably the main reason why we are seeing so much adoption of FCP X in multi-user environments at this time. Expect some really interesting user stories on fcp.co before the end of this year (-:

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 15, 2015 at 2:57:51 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "I think one of the major strengths of FCP X is exactly what you say: the application is so intuitive and visual that it can be learned very easily by any high-school kid. But it is also so deep and powerful that any true professional can use it happily on any high-end job. "

Exactly right. I am watching that learning process with 50 grad school kids again this fall. Vast majority have never editing before. Amazing how fast it's picked up (the one lone kid on Premiere has already ditched it).

At the same time, I just finished a pretty intensive series of spots for a client in Louisiana that was cut using proxies (from FS700 raw files), fcpxml's to Resolve for color and then audio roles to audio finish house for mix. Seamless.

At least in my world and workflow of commercial and shorter form cutting, I need no other editing software. Your mileage may vary. Not a dig (easy, Dennis), but I only venture to Pr if forced to by the post house that is hiring me.

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Sep 16, 2015 at 6:07:15 am

Hey Ronny. Nice to see you on the COW. You should stop by more often.

Any idea when/if Peter will resume posting regularly on fop.co? Surely do miss those articles, and the forum has been really slow lately.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Sep 16, 2015 at 8:05:20 am
Last Edited By Ronny Courtens on Sep 16, 2015 at 10:10:39 am

Hey Jeff,

I come here every day to read up on the latest blind speculations about FCP X. This can be a really funny forum sometimes (-:

Peter and I have talked briefly at IBC. He was a bit down because he got attacked personally by some moron on Twitter and FB. So he rightfully asked himself: what the hell am I doing all this for? FCP.co is a hugely successful platform and Peter runs this all with his own resources. He is not dependent on any big sponsors, and I think he prefers it that way so he can remain objective. I think he just needed some time to vent and to think. The FCP Expo at IBC has been very successful and seeing the flood of very positive reactions he received from so many people, I'm sure FCP.co will continue to be the number one resource for the Final Cut Pro community. More than ever before. Just a little patience, we have some really interesting FCP X stories that are eagerly waiting to be published.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Sep 14, 2015 at 12:04:33 pm

I didn't make it to IBC this year, but Walter was talking about switching to Premiere Pro. I managed to find this article: http://www.tvbeurope.com/walter-murch-talks-premiere-pro/

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 14, 2015 at 7:45:20 pm

Thanks for the link. Will Adobe be putting this full presentation online anywhere?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Peter Gruden
on Sep 23, 2015 at 1:57:14 pm

I was there attending the whole presentation of W.Murch.

The most interesting part for me was about the classic art of video editing, like where to cut, timings, angles etc. He used some historic b/w film footage, with mostly static camera, switching lenses in the middle of the shot etc.
He gave a couple of reasons why he switched to Premiere Pro, mostly compared to Avid, one of them being 24 tracks audio limitation in Avid Media Composer. He did show some of his old projects in FCP legacy and there was really lots of audio tracks. It looked like a Pro Tools project.

I hoped to hear even more about audio from this remarkable man, but it was very interesting nevertheless. Not the usual marketing fluff you could hear on some other presentations. While Adobe was certainly present, it was not in the center of the stage and it didn't interfere with his message much.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 23, 2015 at 2:40:02 pm

[Peter Gruden] "I was there attending the whole presentation of W.Murch."

Thanks for the update. The SuperMeet presentation is up on YouTube in 3 parts.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

It's important to understand that Murch preps the audio in his timeline to be the first step into his work in Pro Tools. While plenty of film editors do extensive audio work as part of their cut, Murch frequently works in the dual role of film editor and re-recording mixer. Therefore, the way audio in FCP7 was handled along with what was embedded into the OMF made it realistic to do some premixing in FCP7, which then carried over into Pro Tools. So his audio work in FCP7 would often lead to the final and not just be something to be replaced by the sound team.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]