FORUMS: list search recent posts

Why Apple? The Joshua Topolsky writing in the New York Times today.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Why Apple? The Joshua Topolsky writing in the New York Times today.
on Sep 10, 2015 at 6:51:38 pm

Just food for thought.

http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/apple-youve-seen-it-all-before-a...

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Why Apple? The Joshua Topolsky writing in the New York Times today.
on Sep 10, 2015 at 7:05:51 pm

"Reducing friction" is the most important single perception in that article. It's what Apple does so very well. It's why they can come extremely late to the party with something and make you feel like they invented it. Nothing wrong with that, but do users want more? It's hard to wow the crowd these days.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 10, 2015 at 7:30:14 pm

Apple reminds me of the old BASF commercials I saw as a kid where the tagline was, "We don't make a lot of the products you buy... we make a lot of the products you buy better."

Having a 'computing appliance' for the masses (the computer for the rest of us) has always been central to Apple's vision and it shows. The cohesion between hardware and software has always been one of the upsides to using an Apple even if it wasn't as feature filled as a competitor's product.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 10, 2015 at 9:49:57 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Having a 'computing appliance' for the masses (the computer for the rest of us) has always been central to Apple's vision and it shows."

I seem to be in the minority here (and elsewhere) on this but frankly I just don't get it.

I'd been a PC guy till I switched over to FCP around 2005, at which point I bought my first Mac Pro, wonderfully made computer, along with an X-Raid, overpriced but solid, and 2 Apple Cine Monitors, possessors of the worst designed dongle connectors in the history of computers. I then switched my home computer over to a Mac Mini, which I got rid of after about a year because the DVD drive died and the software available for home accounting was so abysmal. I bought my first Ipod back then, and while I found the concept astonishing (my entire music library in the palm of my hand) I thought the device was horrible - dying batteries, clunky spinning wheel to navigate with, no quick way to access specific songs - and the software, Itunes, was (and still is)a F'n mess. Then I bought an Iphone, which was fine, until I saw a Galaxy Note with a much larger screen 3 years before Apple got around to copying it. I bought the Note and quite frankly don't see much difference between OSX and Android. So watching this whole "Apple" thing is a bit beyond me - some of their stuff works well, some of it is crap, and while I find them innovative it is no more impressive than SONY's run of innovation during the 70's and 80's.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Dan Stewart
on Sep 11, 2015 at 12:52:58 am

Agreed.
And Apple's inevitable begging bowl to the pro market is coming closer. I've been waiting to spit in it since the day FCPX was revealed..

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Sep 10, 2015 at 7:36:41 pm

OT for our FCPX talk, but the new phone feature of 3D Touch is welcome; contextual menus and shortcuts on the phone will become the equivalent of key-commands vs mousing & pointing on a desktop all. IMHO.

Doug D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]