FORUMS: list search recent posts

Magnetic timeline logic

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andriy Toloshnyy
Magnetic timeline logic
on Jul 1, 2011 at 11:42:52 pm

Just looked quickly through the Larry Jordan "organizing timeline" section in the training. Some things there looks quite non logical for me, i.e:

• Selecting many vertically grouped clips and moving the whole thing leads to clips laying one by one in the primary storyline. Selecting one clip moves the whole thing.
• If you want to move the clip in the primary storyline and you have something connected to it you cannot do it. You have two options - to delete the connected clip or move it somewhere else. No way do break that relationship and leave it in the same place.
• when moving clip it behaves differently using different ways to move, i.e moving with the mouse causes all other clips "step away", and moving entering timecode numbers overwrites clips wich is on the way.

Looks totally logical, isn't it? ))
I'm sure it will come more things like this looking at it more carefully.

Is it me stuck in the grandpa's editing edge and cannot understand the logic behind it?

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
Re: Magnetic timeline logic
on Jul 2, 2011 at 12:25:35 am

I think it's a matter of having to use it with a real project to figure it out. You can "play around" all you want with new software but, at least for me, I have to be doing something with a definite goal in mind (i.e.: complete a project on deadline) and figure things out in a real world environment. Then I follow that up with some "play time" to see if I can figure out some of the issues I ran into and to build on the practical knowledge I've gained.

NT

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 2, 2011 at 2:46:45 am

That is exactly how I have learned in the 20 years of my career. Do something "real" then come back to it shortly after and see what I could have done better. Works like a charm every time.

Looks like we're in for some learnin'.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jul 2, 2011 at 11:54:26 pm

[Andriy Toloshnyy] "Is it me stuck in the grandpa's editing edge and cannot understand the logic behind it?"

I don't think it's you. I'm finding many UI inconsistencies that are frankly, either bugs or just poor design. Another example: Control-clicking puts a transition at both the head and tail of the clip, not at the transition point you selected. It makes no sense.

Return to posts index

Andriy Toloshnyy
on Jul 3, 2011 at 12:43:39 am

I guess it makes sense from consumer point of view - give me this insert looking smooth... But look then - cmd+T puts the transition the way you're expecting it... This probably gives us a possibility to understanding the new logic - using context menus gives you one result, using shortcut in the same context - another, more adequate for a pro editor result. Looks like they really trying to put one behind on two seats... And actually this kind of approach never works good...

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jul 3, 2011 at 3:04:56 am

I dunno. I have 25+ years experience as both a UI/UE designer and user. In GUI syntax, you always want consistent behavior based on the user's expressed intention. So if I select the clip head and use a context menu to apply a transition, I don't think it could be any more clear what my intention is -- put a transition at the head of the clip. It's not rocket science. Frankly, I'm pretty shocked at some of the UI mistakes in this program; stuff that feels wrong not because it's been made easier, but because it feels like the designers didn't know what they were doing or didn't test this with real users.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jul 3, 2011 at 4:21:59 am

OK playing around with it I see that control clicking forces the entire clip to be selected. This is why it adds transitions to the head and tail of the clip.

So to clarify - if you click a transition point -- i.e. clip head or tail it stays selected and keeps focus so you can apply a transition. But if you right click or use a modifier key, the entire clip is always selected no matter what. How innovative.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]