FORUMS: list search recent posts

I wish Premiere Pro adopted these FCP7 features

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
andy lewis
I wish Premiere Pro adopted these FCP7 features
on Sep 6, 2015 at 2:57:52 pm
Last Edited By andy lewis on Sep 6, 2015 at 3:01:46 pm

1. Keep that playhead moving unless I press space. If you do anything in PPro, playback stops - if you use a shortcut to go to next clip during playback, the playhead goes there and then stops. Why?

2. Allow multicam editing on any track.

3. Don't force the user to make pointless track selection decisions. In FCP classic you could put interviews on V1, b-roll on V2 and then forget about track selection and targeting for the rest of the edit (if you wanted to). Whatever you copied would paste into the same track it was copied from. This could be recreated in PPro when no track is selected. Currently with no track selected, you can't even do an add edit with the keyboard. It's useless. How about if no track selected becomes the same as all tracks selected BUT copy/paste remembers track position.

4. Sane autosave rather than overwriting old files forcing you to use the OS to tell you which file has been modified most recently.

5. Batch functions in AME as good as in Compressor (and Compressor wasn't even great in UI terms). Let me copy and past settings and add settings to multiple videos.

6. In trim mode, let me toggle trim type with the keyboard without stopping playback.

7. Allow extension of clip markers within Premiere.

I'm being slightly facetious. I know PPro has already taken a lot from old FCP to its great benefit and it's already a much better NLE overall. Still some way to go in some areas though.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: I wish Premiere Pro adopted these FCP7 features
on Sep 6, 2015 at 3:18:27 pm

[andy lewis] "1. Keep that playhead moving unless I press space. If you do anything in PPro, playback stops - if you use a shortcut to go to next clip during playback, the playhead goes there and then stops. Why?"

I think that would be a nice option to be able to quickly toggle on/off (kinda like snapping). I was on FCP 7 recently (first time in a long time) and sometimes I would skip ahead and FCP would keep playing from that point on even though I didn't want it to.

[andy lewis] "2. Allow multicam editing on any track. "

Not in front of PPro, but I think you can do this you just have to have the video track selected. Ex. if the multicam clip is on V2 you have to have V2 targeted.

[andy lewis] "5. Batch functions in AME as good as in Compressor (and Compressor wasn't even great in UI terms). Let me copy and past settings and add settings to multiple videos. "

Again, not in front PPro but I'm pretty sure you can copy/paste setting to multiple videos. Not sure about adding multiple settings to the same video.

[andy lewis] "7. Allow extension of clip markers within Premiere."

Option-click on the Marker and you can drag it out to extend it.

Agree with the other things you said, and might add some of my own if I get a chance to write them down.

I was back in FCP7 last week and a couple of the not really talked about features I like in it are the QuickView (a third viewer that pops up and basically gives a RAM preview up to 10 seconds long) and the FrameView which lets you create a really flexible split-screen viewer which is great for color grading (other things too but I mainly used it for grading). Not saying I necessarily want these in PPro, but FCP 7 I had started to forget how flexible and feature rich FCP 7 was.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 6, 2015 at 3:33:54 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "you just have to have the video track selected. Ex. if the multicam clip is on V2 you have to have V2 targeted."

Close but no cigar. The rule is multicam works on the lowest targeted track. If you want to work on track 2, it must be targeted and track 1 must have targeting turned off. FCP multicam was clearly better with multicam defaulting to the video on the highest track - no need to use targets at all, much more intuitive.

I would say the weakest aspect of PPro is it's dependence on targeting tracks for many operations. It does give you great flexibility but is a PITA to implement.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

andy lewis
on Sep 6, 2015 at 4:29:27 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Again, not in front PPro but I'm pretty sure you can copy/paste setting to multiple videos. Not sure about adding multiple settings to the same video."

I don't think so. I'd be very happy to be wrong though - it would certainly save me some time.

[Andrew Kimery] "[andy lewis] "7. Allow extension of clip markers within Premiere."

Option-click on the Marker and you can drag it out to extend it."

Only with timeline markers, not clip markers.

I'd forgotten all about quick view and frame view. I remember summers being longer and that it always snowed at Christmas though.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 6, 2015 at 8:12:19 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Close but no cigar. The rule is multicam works on the lowest targeted track. If you want to work on track 2, it must be targeted and track 1 must have targeting turned off. FCP multicam was clearly better with multicam defaulting to the video on the highest track - no need to use targets at all, much more intuitive."

I knew it had something to do with targeting... thanks for the clarification, Herb.

[andy lewis] "I don't think so. I'd be very happy to be wrong though - it would certainly save me some time. "

You are right the copy/paste doesn't work, but if you have multiple videos selected in the queue they will all get same compression setting you select from the drop down menu. I also figured out that you can add multiple compression settings to the same video by dragging them from the preset browser (and if you need to use the same multiple compression setting frequently you can put them into a 'group' and then you just apply that group of compression settings to the video). You can only drag and drop onto individual videos though which is a bummer.

Still not as intuitive as Compressor, but a bit more feature rich than I initially thought. My compression needs are typically pretty pedestrian though so I've never needed to dig deep into compression programs.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Sep 6, 2015 at 10:08:51 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "You can only drag and drop onto individual videos though which is a bummer."

Select the files in the queue you want presets added to. Select the presets you want and right click --> Apply to Queue. It applies all the selected presets to all the selected clips in the queue. It's been that way since 2014, at least. I think as far back as CC.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 6, 2015 at 10:12:17 pm

[Michael Hancock] "Select the files in the queue you want presets added to. Select the presets you want and right click --> Apply to Queue. It applies all the selected presets to all the selected clips in the queue. It's been that way since 2014, at least. I think as far back as CC."

Thanks for that Michael. Obviously I need to explore Right Click more often in PPro than what I have been.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Sep 6, 2015 at 10:17:23 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "hanks for that Michael. Obviously I need to explore Right Click more often in PPro than what I have been."

I had to open Encoder and test it to remember how it was done. I had done it before but couldn't remember if it was a double click, drag or what. It was a right click.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Sep 6, 2015 at 10:15:44 pm

[andy lewis] "Only with timeline markers, not clip markers. "

If you're adding markers to clip in the source monitor you can extend them.

If the clip is in the sequence and you're adding markers to it there, match frame it first. Then, when you add a marker to the clip in the timeline, you'll see the marker appear in the source monitor and you can extend it up there and it will be reflected in your timeline. This is in 2014 (haven't tested it in 2015). It's a workaround, but it can be done.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]