FORUMS: list search recent posts

iPad Pro?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
iPad Pro?
on Sep 3, 2015 at 2:45:29 am

Remember when X came out many thought it was obviously designed or destined to run on a small screen, possibly an ipad? That the skimming and ranging would be ideal for a touch system? But it never came to be. But finally, after what they say has been years in the making, the iPad pro is likely coming out. And it also seems that, sans 3D text and changing the media management structure, there has been an extreme lack of feature updates for a solid 2 years. Perhaps, just perhaps they've been working on the next big version and it was a scheduled to released alongside the iPad pro with touch capabilities. But as the iPad pro kept getting delayed they put their resources elsewhere "temporarily" or decided to focus on other things.

Fun to think about anyway...

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
Re: iPad Pro?
on Sep 3, 2015 at 1:54:18 pm

[Bret Williams] " Perhaps, just perhaps they've been working on the next big version and it was a scheduled to released alongside the iPad pro with touch capabilities. But as the iPad pro kept getting delayed they put their resources elsewhere "temporarily" or decided to focus on other things. "

Interesting thought. But I have to say, if they delayed a release and were pouring time and effort into making FCPX running on an iPad I would be incredibly unhappy with Apple. There are WAY more important things that need to be addressed or added to FCPX than iPad support.

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 3, 2015 at 3:15:52 pm

Agreed. But sounds like something ridiculous Apple would do.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 3, 2015 at 5:12:43 pm

Why rediculous exactly? I used to think that in order to get psychologically "immersed in the flow" of my editing - I needed a Cinema Display (or two!) and now I get the exact same experience every day on a 15" retina screen. And the experience is MORE fluid and immersive now. So how can I pre-judge what an editing (or maybe just keywording, or just an interactive "edit in progress" presentation experience for a client on a theoretical iPad Pro - might be?

Passing judgement on a thing that I've never really experienced, hasn't ever been used in the wild - let alone has has any time to mature or develop seems kinda dumb to me.

Hey wait, what does writing that remind me of?

Oh yeah. The X Launch.

Which makes me wonder if in 5 years an iPad Pro might be making MY day to day work a whole lot easier as well.

Time will tell. ; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 3, 2015 at 5:17:40 pm

Ridiculous of course referred to waiting to release something because something else (iPad Pro) wasn't ready, not that it would be ridiculous to release FCP X on an iPad. It obviously works. iMovie is there already and the conventions are the same.

But good rant regarding conjecture on a theory on a concept so far fetched that it isn't even a rumor.

But if it does happen, you heard it here first.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 3, 2015 at 5:32:54 pm

Exactly. No fun in dreaming up speculation on distant possible concepts if you have to constrain them!
When your days are reserved for moving forward - mornings where you can dream of where you might want to move next are really sweet!

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Sep 3, 2015 at 6:06:55 pm

I'm personally hoping for something akin to Logic Pro X's Logic Remote. To me that makes infinitely more sense than a full on native iPad client. Honestly, Logic Remote is the biggest reason that I want an iPad Pro. I constantly use it on my iPad Air and would love to have a bigger screen. So far as FCPX is concerned, I think there are a number of use ways to incorporate the iPad. You could of course use it for trimming and timeline activities, but it could also be a full screen Inspector, or show the scopes, quick access to Keywords, event browsing, touch based OSC, etc. Ooh... I've got it. They should include a keyframe graph so we can actually adjust the interpolation and values for any of our keyframes (akin to Resolve's keyframe editor, which is heavily based on FCPX's to begin with). The possibilities are endless.

NickZimmerman.net

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 3, 2015 at 6:48:53 pm

[Nicholas Zimmerman] "I'm personally hoping for something akin to Logic Pro X's Logic Remote. To me that makes infinitely more sense than a full on native iPad client."

I wonder if it might be a bit of a both?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 3, 2015 at 6:48:11 pm

[Bill Davis] " I used to think that in order to get psychologically "immersed in the flow" of my editing - I needed a Cinema Display (or two!) and now I get the exact same experience every day on a 15" retina screen. And the experience is MORE fluid and immersive now."

So you prefer editing on a laptop rather than 2 cinema displays? or do you mean you prefer working on a laptop on FCPX rather than FCP7 on two cinema displays.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 3, 2015 at 7:36:02 pm

Steve,

After about 10 years on 7 on a Cinema Display - when I first got X, the card in my desktop system was not open CL compatible. So I started searching for a replacement card. But I was anxious to use X so on a whim, I installed it on my then laptop - little did I know that that "glitch" would signal the change in how I would be editing years later.

Over time, two things happened. First, Apple Retina displays arrived letting me see all my content clearly in smaller form on a smaller screen - and second as I got better and better at X.

I found I was using the Event Browser very differently than I had used the Viewer in Legacy. Instead of constantly playing back and JKLing to find the clip segment I wanted in a big Viewer, I was pre-setting those decision in the event browser via keywords - and when I was actually working in my storyline, I was spending massively less time having to refine gross selections IN the timeline as I had in Legacy.

So I shifted mentally from an "I need preview AND program to edit effectively" mindset, to one of "I can now work in a single window - and let the database and my keywording deliver to my cursor the pre-trimmed shots I need instantly. Of course I still often "on the fly" in the event browser using range selection, but with the Retina display I get all the information I need to make those decision without having to use a big second "source" window all the time. So my thinking has just shifted.

And all of that makes smaller screen (laptop) editing as easy and effective as Cinema Display editing when the screen resolution and performance was courser.

It's also interesting that I have a secondary display that I can easily hook up to the laptop to view my library or my viewer as needed. But I find that I hardly ever use that unless a client is sitting with me and I don't want to be "shoulder to shoulder."

I just find that I don't really need the big physical system that I used to need to do my editing effectively.

Others mileage will most certainly vary.

But I'm also reminded of the picture of Thomas Grove Carte doing work on that amazing Honda, the Other Side spot that swept the British Cleo equivalents this year - working in the back seat in a production van on a laptop with his shoes off.

It made a big impression on me.

Return to posts index

Don Walker
on Sep 4, 2015 at 2:51:37 am

When I transitioned from a linear environment to Avid in the late 90's I felt that 2 monitors are a minimum. This preference lasted through FCP 7. Now my computer at work is a 27" iMac, my editor at home is a 2008 MacPro with 2 20" monitors. I much prefer the (1) 27" to the (2) 20s. I think I even enjoy editing on my daughter's 13" MBP, more than I do with the MacPro. I think X was designed as a single monitor program. That said, when I dabble with Premiere, I feel that 2 monitors are a must.....

don walker
texarkana, texas

John 3:16

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 3, 2015 at 8:11:32 pm

[Bret Williams] "But finally, after what they say has been years in the making, the iPad pro is likely coming out."

Just like they said the Apple Television set was coming out last year.

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Sep 4, 2015 at 4:47:04 pm

Apple is doing something they at least think will be big on Sept. 9. It is at the Bill Graham Center, which is much bigger than Moscone where the Jobs Macworld and subsequent Tim Cook events have been held.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500, Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Sep 5, 2015 at 1:38:46 am

Great article in The Verge suggests a couple of iPhones, the iPad Pro, a refreshed Apple TV, new Apple watchbands, iOS 9 and some other stuff.

Sounds like a lot, but it also sounds like enough to justify the biggest auditorium Apple has ever taken over.

And this one at Fortune, Why Appleā€™s iPad, Watch may outshine iPhone at its Sept. 9 event

Oh yeah, and the iPad Pro is rumored to include a stylus...which Jobs famously derided...but then again, he derided the idea of a tablet for years...anyway, my Samsung Galaxy Note has had a stylus since 2012 (maybe earlier, but that's when I got mine), and I can tell you that you'll dig it....

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Sep 5, 2015 at 10:11:25 am

Gary Huff:
"Just like they said the Apple Television set was coming out last year."

Looks as if Apple may possibly have their eye on the long game with Apple TV. An interesting article.

http://www.rajamreport.com/post/128273560320/apple-tv-market

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500, Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 4, 2015 at 6:27:22 am

Unless the iPad Pro deviates from the rest of the iDevices and runs OSX instead of iOS (which would also mean it uses a different CPU family as well) then the best one could hope for is a companion app of some sort.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 4, 2015 at 5:47:04 pm

You mean like iMovie and every other app apple has on iPad, phone and computer? Yep. 3 versions. But an interface would be cool too. But anyway I was just half tongue in cheek half hoping when I started this thread. Other than using my pad to edit by the pool, I don't have any need.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 4, 2015 at 10:05:38 pm

[Bret Williams] "You mean like iMovie and every other app apple has on iPad, phone and computer? Yep."

Besides the name those iOS apps share very little with their OS X namesakes.. I've heard other people mention they'd like to be able to run OS X apps on a mobile platform (similar to what MS does with its Surface Pro) so I thought that's what you were saying.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 4, 2015 at 11:50:07 pm

Not saying anything. Just musing on things. They are calling it pro. Maybe that's their plan. An OSX 12" pad. Perhaps it also flips into iOS mode. That'd be cool. Would make us all buy more hardware which is their plan.

Some things are better. Garage band is much better for creating on the pad. Virtual keyboards, drums, guitars, etc

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 9, 2015 at 1:33:54 pm

We should have some answers in the next few hours!

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 9, 2015 at 7:12:15 pm

When I saw that Keyboard cover and Microsoft presenting, I thought I was watching the Surface 4 launch.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]