FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time to change the forum names (episode 26)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Rofrano
Time to change the forum names (episode 26)
on Aug 28, 2015 at 1:59:19 pm

I know we debate this about every 6 months but it continues to cause problems and it happened again yesterday which is, someone being confused about the Final Cut forum names here at the COW.

The scenario:
  1. Someone posts an FCP X question to the FCP forum
  2. Someone else answers the post with "this is the legacy forum for FCP 7, you need to post to the FCPX Techniques forum".
  3. Final post is the original poster replying that they were confused by the forums names (and never gets their question answered)
Here is the thread that promoted my request to change the forum names (once again):

https://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/1189741#1189746
[Emma Crouch] "I dithered over which forum - I find the FCPX ones oddly titled..."
Oddly titled indeed! I did the same thing when I first looked for a Final Cut Pro X forum.

I've said this before, the forum names only make sense to the elite inner-circle of those who have been here since the dawn of time. They make absolutely no sense to anyone else who doesn't have the "secret decoder ring". ;-)

Here is my proposal...

Change:

Apple Final Cut Pro
Apple FCPX Techniques
Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate

To:

Apple Final Cut Pro (Legacy)
Apple Final Cut Pro X
Apple FCPX Debates

The problem is with the word "techniques". Not every question is about a technique. The name limits the contents and the forum and confuses people because it is not only about techniques... it's any question about FCP X so just call it the FCP X forum to begin with. The Logic Pro forum is not called Logic Pro Techniques, the Motion forum is not called Motion Techniques, so it just makes no sense to call the Final Cut Pro X forum FCPX Techniques.

Consistency is a critical component in categorizing knowledge such that people can find it. The COW is inconsistent in this regard and we should fix it.

OK... let the feathers fly! :-D

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Time to change the forum names (episode 26)
on Aug 28, 2015 at 3:14:26 pm

Your idea makes sense to me. But, is there a debate anymore that justifies having the forum named that? How about FCP X Basic and FCP X. That worked forever for FCP.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 28, 2015 at 3:38:04 pm

[John Rofrano] "the forum names only make sense to the elite inner-circle of those who have been here since the dawn of time. They make absolutely no sense to anyone else who doesn't have the "secret decoder ring". ;-)
"

and that's the way we like it!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Aug 28, 2015 at 3:56:11 pm

it sucks.

it seems like every second day, someone is posting an X question in the Legacy forum.
there's nothing to like about that!

the "debate" forum is pretty much that, and it's not just about FCPX, either, so "FCP X Basic and FCP X" would also lead to confusion.

John's proposal make a lot of sense.

nick

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 28, 2015 at 5:03:57 pm

Perhaps we should summon the elite inner-circle to discuss the matter

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 28, 2015 at 4:17:49 pm

There are buttons on the Final Cut Pro Forum to send posts to Techniques or Debate.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Aug 28, 2015 at 5:56:10 pm

I never was a fan of changing the names, because I thought everyone knowed by know what was what.

That being said, when I read your proposals I'm actually for, because your names don't go far from the original names. In the sense that they are still very clear for the people who are used to them already, and they are a bit more clear to people who are new.

I'm in favor.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 28, 2015 at 6:50:27 pm

[John Rofrano] "Here is my proposal...
Change:
Apple Final Cut Pro
Apple FCPX Techniques
Apple FCPX or Not: The Debate
To:
Apple Final Cut Pro (Legacy)
Apple Final Cut Pro X
Apple FCPX Debates"

Seems like a good compromise.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Aug 28, 2015 at 7:18:41 pm
Last Edited By Herb Sevush on Aug 28, 2015 at 7:24:02 pm

I always felt the worst name was for the "FCPX Techniques" forum, this simplifies that name and retains the debate name for this forum.

I vote yes, as long as the change is accompanied by a one year moratorium on threads still trying to change this forum's name to something like "Bunch of lazy editor's sitting around bitch'n forum."

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 28, 2015 at 8:14:19 pm

Here are my thoughts:

FCP X, Hip, Cool And Modern
FCP X, Land of Confusion
FCP X, Why Not?
FCP Land of The Lost or FCP Dinosaur

The magnetic timeline, it's magnetic-o-matic!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]