FORUMS: list search recent posts

3D Text in FCP X part feature - part platform.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
3D Text in FCP X part feature - part platform.
on Aug 25, 2015 at 6:38:47 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Aug 25, 2015 at 6:40:51 pm

When Apple announced the 3D text thing in 10.2 - like a lot of editors I was puzzled. I have little time for custom building 3D text. And fewer clients who will pay me commensurately with the time it takes to do it.

But I missed the "platform" nature of the change.

With more to do and less time in which to do it, plug-ins are arriving that make excellent use of the 3D environment inside X to let the user get better results faster - and in my opinion at a very affordable price.

It's not necessarily about ME making 3D type - but allowing me more in-app control over 3D type that designers can build.

Just took me a while... duh.

It's a commercial promo for FX Factory - and I have NO relationship with them - but the capabilities are certainly interesting. (And yes, I'm sure After Effects does this too. But I'm ignorant of whether the integration is similar as to parameter access directly when you're editing in the timeline. - which makes it seem awfully easy to get the results I want without having to leave the edit environment)

https://fxfactory.com/info/datapop/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Data+Pop+...

Scroll down to "How to use DataPop in FCP X"

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
Re: 3D Text in FCP X part feature - part platform.
on Aug 25, 2015 at 8:06:25 pm
Last Edited By Mathieu Ghekiere on Aug 26, 2015 at 4:53:25 pm

I've had a bit of a similar experience.
When it was released I was like: huh? I don't need this!

I still think a lot of other stuff on my wish-list for FCPX is more important, but I've had some nice unexpected uses with it already.
I don't know if I would call it a platform (I would reserve that term more for the Mac-platform, or the FCPX-ecosystem), but you can't deny that Apple seemed to have built in a 3D ENGINE inside of FCPX that has great performance and more then just one template-kind of feature.

I would *really* hope that Apple allows it also in the next version to have a simple way of putting logos (PNG's with transparancy) in it. There's a workaround now, so it is technically possible, but it's very clunky. (making a font out of symbols). It's what I miss most about the 3D feature at this point, because a lot of title graphics require a logo to go with it.

Return to posts index

Chris Frantz
on Aug 26, 2015 at 2:39:42 pm

On the topic of transparent PNGs, last I tried I couldn't manage to get a proper transparent PNG out of FCPX, has this been fixed?

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on Aug 26, 2015 at 3:32:32 pm

Chris,

I've never had a problem with that. In fact, just to try it out for you, I just did a test, putting a Ripple Callout filter on an empty layer, with background (its a Title-effect) and if I export a PNG it's transparant (except for the title effect of course).

I've been working with FCPX for a while now (about 3 years) and I've never seen that problem...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]