FORUMS: list search recent posts

OT: Needing to transfer video from Mac to PC

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
OT: Needing to transfer video from Mac to PC
on Aug 9, 2015 at 6:25:23 pm

I know this is not the right forum but due to the traffic volume I thought I would ask here.

Last month I did a wedding video for some relatives of mine. There were three camera people there, all cameras were different. I used a Blackmagic Cinema Camera to record the entire event and my brother-n-law is going to edit the video. The entire event lasted around 30 minutes and I trimmed out some fat (nothing going on for the first few minutes) followed by some basic color correction (technical grade). I purchased a portable USB hard drive.

With all that said above a couple of questions, so any help is greatly appreciated. Just not sarcasm, please.

What should I format the drive as?

I want to be sure that I can write from the Mac and playback on my PC laptop. Using the most current version of OS X and running Windows 10 on laptop. I think my bro-n-law is using Windows 7, might be an earlier version. Apologies for the long post over a quick question but wanted to make sure I am giving out the correct information. Thanks in advance!

Production Assistant | Cinematographer | Editor | Photographer

The magnetic timeline, it's magnetic-o-matic!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: OT: Needing to transfer video from Mac to PC
on Aug 9, 2015 at 6:56:17 pm

If you need both PC and Mac folk to read it, format the drive as FAT 32.

The bigger question is what formats the other attendees shot on if somebody is going to try to assemble a cohesive set of files that everyone can play.

Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 9, 2015 at 7:01:13 pm

One camera was a Go Pro and the other was a Canon. I shot in ProRes 422 and rendered it as such out of Resolve. The file size is around 20 G if that makes a difference. Not sure what file size limit FAT 32 can handle but going to give it a whirl. Thank you!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 9, 2015 at 7:04:19 pm

If it works carry on.

Tho I'm not sure why you involved Resolve.

FCP X can ingest both GoPro's Cineform and typical Canon MXF wrapped footage natively and do the ProRes transcode right inside the program. It's simple and pretty automatic.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 9, 2015 at 7:07:49 pm

That is true, just wanted to do a quick technical grade and wanted to see how playback worked in the new version. Impressed so far but it still needs tweaking.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 9, 2015 at 7:18:51 pm

Why does this remind me of the old "when the tool you have is a hammer, every problem starts to look like a nail" meme?

I fully understand the lure of Resolve for grading, but it sounds like what you're trying to do is basically not much farther than what an accurate LUT will provide and TOTALLY within the wheelhouse of the quick and easy X color board. Which means you have a single program that can do ingest, the multi-format transcode and a simple and direct base grade all in one place.

I get if you just want to play in or learn Resolve - but I find it a bit silly to use two programs where one program will get the job done just as well.

But it's totally your call. And as long as you get the results you want - go for it.

(Oh, do be a bit careful of the color space issues if you ever do decide to work in Resolve with original non-ProRes files. The 2.2 vs 2.4 gamma shift stuff can snap at you. Good luck)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 9, 2015 at 8:44:12 pm

[Bill Davis] "I fully understand the lure of Resolve for grading, but it sounds like what you're trying to do is basically not much farther than what an accurate LUT will provide and TOTALLY within the wheelhouse of the quick and easy X color board. Which means you have a single program that can do ingest, the multi-format transcode and a simple and direct base grade all in one place."

Actually Resolve is one of the best DIT tools out there. Now with R12, the editing is pretty decent. And you get lightning fast batch transcodes of source files (with trims if you like), which is something that still requires workarounds or extra software to do with FCP X.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Aug 9, 2015 at 7:17:05 pm

Fat 32 has a max file size limit of 4GB which can bring some pain with it when working with large files . Try formatting Ex fat ....

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 9, 2015 at 7:21:50 pm

Mark,
I've heard tales of folks having programs with exFat and Windows 7.
Have those all been solved?

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Aug 9, 2015 at 6:58:25 pm

I use ex-FAT to format flash drives to swap between workstations.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 9, 2015 at 7:05:48 pm

Thank you, going to try that one first. I was impressed by how Resolve played back the footage. For the most part realtime though it kind of stuttered in places.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 9, 2015 at 8:40:32 pm

You can also purchase an add-on for Macs that lets you write NTFS, which is probably preferred for PCs. I've had some issues with Ex-FAT not reading. Or your bro-in-law could buy Mac Drive to read Mac-formatted drives.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 9, 2015 at 8:46:13 pm

Where can I purchase NTFS from? Just got an error on Windows 10 that the file format was not supported or something of that nature.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 9, 2015 at 8:51:21 pm

[David Mathis] "Where can I purchase NTFS from? "

http://www.tuxera.com/products/tuxera-ntfs-for-mac/

[David Mathis] " Just got an error on Windows 10 that the file format was not supported"

Was this an error in reading the drive or an individual file?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 9, 2015 at 8:55:29 pm

The file itself. I forgot how much Windows gets under my skin! I thought about Dropbox but not sure how well that will work.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 9, 2015 at 9:00:38 pm

[David Mathis] "The file itself."

Is this a ProRes file? Other? What application are you trying to read it in? To read ProRes, you're going to need to find and download the QT Pro codecs pack for Windows. That may or may not be an issue with W10.

https://support.apple.com/downloads/Apple_ProRes_QuickTime_Decoder_1_0_for_...

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 9, 2015 at 9:36:19 pm

It is ProRes file. Now just encountered another issue which is very urgent. :( Was going to do a clean install, from the ground up of Yosemite (previously installed) and now after erasing the drive it won't work.

Details:

This is not a supported method of installing the operating system.

Please run install OS X app that you downloaded from the App Store.

WTH!?!

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 9, 2015 at 9:38:54 pm

Hold Command+R at startup to open in Recovery mode. You can install OS
X over the Internet from there.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 9, 2015 at 9:44:17 pm

That is what I did. Erased the disk then tried your method. Still get that error!

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 9, 2015 at 11:10:03 pm

What NLE software is being used to edit on the Win machine? Starting from there work back. Resolve is the ideal tool to do a grade and transcode to the most suitable format for the Win machine. Of course the Win machine could have Resolve installed to do the edit. Cross platform and free plus it will read the native files or whatever format you chose to transcode to. I would recommend DNxHD quicktime files.

By far the most robust thing is to buy MacDrive for the Win machine. Send the disk formatted as Apple and they work on the Win machine as if native format. I have played with HTFS via Tuxera on Mac a while ago and the drive speed was poor. MacDrive has been reliable and useful for many years.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 10, 2015 at 12:01:41 am

I think he is editing in a older version of Premiere Pro, from what my understanding is. Unfortunately my Mac Pro is not working. Erased the hard drive and cannot reinstall Yosemite (see previous post), and not the only one having issues at the moment. Should have had a second drive to boot from, my mistake. Not the only one having issues with this either. Not too happy at the moment. I really loathe technology right now. :(

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 10, 2015 at 2:52:15 am

My advice would be to edit in Pr with the native files and then send you the edit xml which you can load back into Resolve to do a grade.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]