FORUMS: list search recent posts

Incredible COW FCP-X article, with no comments from this forum

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
Incredible COW FCP-X article, with no comments from this forum
on Aug 7, 2015 at 3:56:41 pm

There has most recently been a wonderful article on Creative Cow Features, called "Managing FCP-X
Media Labs for Maximum Sanity".

Great article on workflow for FCP-X in a networked environment.

And NO ONE has commented about this on the FCP-X forums.

It just gives me the impression that no one here is using FCP-X in a networked environment (mid sized post house, corporate AV department, etc.) - and there are just single users on single Mac workstations, all with local storage.

Just my observation - am I wrong ?

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Incredible COW FCP-X article, with no comments from this forum
on Aug 7, 2015 at 4:40:21 pm

[Bob Zelin] "And NO ONE has commented about this on the FCP-X forums. "

I think some of it is my fault for not highlighting it better in this forum. I'll post it at the top.

In the meantime, here's the link, Managing FCPX Media Labs for Maximum Sanity & Minimum Chaos.

I asked the author, Andrew Gash, if he felt it was an appropriate article for people managing FCPX in ANY shared storage environment, and he said, not really. His advice is for large media labs (he has over 100 students across six periods), with people who don't really know what they're doing. He felt like most people in professional environments could come up with their own protocols that people would fairly reliably follow.

But as I think about it, my feeling was...nuh-uh. Most people don't follow protocols. LOL And for many people, setting up multiple libraries and such is new territory.

So I encourage EVERYONE who works with FCPX in a shared storage environment to read this article. It's one of my favorites, not because I do that work, but because I always enjoy people with big giant brains to figure stuff out, and the skills to articulate their findings in entertaining ways.

A rare pleasure, this article. Thanks for bringing it up, Bob.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 7, 2015 at 6:52:35 pm

It made the rounds on Twitter when it came out. Not everything gets it own thread. Or maybe it's just indisputable? :)

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 7, 2015 at 6:57:43 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Not everything gets it own thread. "

See my note above. This SHOULD have gotten its own thread, and while I took most of the steps to have it happen automatically, I missed one. It happens. :-)

But this 100000% deserves it. One of the all-time classics. Again, here's the link: https://library.creativecow.net/gash_andrew/FCPX_MEDIA-LAB/1

EDIT: It's featured now.

And again, no kidding, everyone should check this out.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Aug 8, 2015 at 1:29:15 am

[Noah Kadner] "It made the rounds on Twitter when it came out. Not everything gets it own thread. Or maybe it's just indisputable? :)"

Maybe it's just August and everyone's away enjoying the Summer! ;)

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Aug 8, 2015 at 6:21:07 pm
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on Aug 8, 2015 at 6:21:43 pm

Great to see someone really knowledgeable and also a good communicator working out the logistics of using FCPX in a larger educational setting, particularly a public school. Universities and pro shops could use this experience. If it leads to more FCPX editors, all the better. It offers a much more economical model with a chance of later career success than any of the other vendors have come up with. Congratulations.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.2.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.6, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500, Helios 2 w 2-960GB SSDs: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz, 24Gb RAM, GTX-680, 960GB SSD: Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD, Multiple OWC Thunderbay 4 TB2 and eSATA QX2 RAID 5 HD systems

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]