FORUMS: list search recent posts

More Resolve

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry Fraiberg
More Resolve
on Aug 4, 2015 at 12:58:55 pm

Here's an editors' take on DaVinci Resolve 12 from RedShark News.

http://www.redsharknews.com/post/item/2779-blackmagic-resolve-12-review-wha...

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: More Resolve
on Aug 4, 2015 at 1:56:22 pm

Great article, just got through reading it. This version of Resolve reminds me of what Final Cut Pro 8 could have been had Apple decided not to go the direction they did. Playback in the edit page is very much improved so kudos to the team. Not perfect but pretty darn close. Still my preference is to use X in some situations. Even though my drawings look like someone driving home late at night after going to the bar, I have a good eye and enjoy learning minimal motion graphics. Motion is a great little tool for putting something, relatively quickly, for use in FCP X at some point. Not sure how Fusion will integrate, if it does, with Resolve. Still an exciting release and a very good alternative, wait, make that serious competition, to Premiere Pro, at least that is the direction she is heading.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Aug 4, 2015 at 5:26:15 pm

The new color tools in Premiere CC2015 make for quicker grading that will probably cover most needs. But if you find yourself jumping in and out of Speedgrade as well - I would recommend Resolve, which has much better color handling and a superb tracker.

Also it is great that you can disable all color effects with one button, and go back into editing mode for adjustments, even after you have started grading. Do not try that with Speedgrade!

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC2014, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 4, 2015 at 9:15:27 pm

Disable all effects in X would be extremely welcome too.

Return to posts index

Morten Ranmar
on Aug 4, 2015 at 9:18:43 pm

would also be welcome in Premiere.

- No Parking Production -

Adobe CC2014, 3 x MacPro, 3 x MbP, Ethernet File Server w. Areca ThunderRaid 8

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 4, 2015 at 9:20:13 pm

Sadly something else that could be done in FCP 7! In 7 you could configure what played back in RT, or even what rendered.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Aug 4, 2015 at 11:02:29 pm

[David Mathis] "Playback in the edit page is very much improved so kudos to the team. Not perfect but pretty darn close."

|sarcasm filter on|
We are talking playback here in an NLE that isn't really breaking new ground. Traditional track-based system that can copy a whole lot of systems before it. And playback is "getting darn close"? In my humble opinion, that should be pretty high up on the list of things it needs to do from the get-go. Hey Resolve team (both of you): put playback higher on your list.
|sarcasm filter off|

The patience folks have with Resolve just getting to a point where it can playback material amazes me. Maybe it's just the wish for FCP8. It's a great color correction tool and perhaps that's what it's just meant to be.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 4, 2015 at 11:22:55 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "The patience folks have with Resolve just getting to a point where it can playback material amazes me"

Weird things happens when a company doesn't burn bridges with its customers/target demo. Plus it's free. ;)

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Aug 5, 2015 at 12:39:51 am

Remember how the rub on X was that nobody was using it in the industry?

There were no job postings for it so what was the point?

Well, nobody in my town is using R12. Heck, not only is nobody using it, but nobody is even talking about it.

I'm all for R12 and anybody else that wants to through in.

It just brings a little smile to my face that's all : )

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 5, 2015 at 3:04:36 am

[Tony West] "Remember how the rub on X was that nobody was using it in the industry?"

Was? ;)

R12 is still in beta so I'm not surprised no one is using it. I would be surprised though if no one in your area is using Resolve 11 (or older) for grading. Resolve doesn't need to be a killer NLE now because people already use it for other reasons (grading and ingest). The NLE aspect is just kinda long for the ride at this point. It's useful if you need to do some tweaks during the online, but not ready to take-on the Three A's on solely NLE terms.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Aug 5, 2015 at 3:38:14 am

[Andrew Kimery] "Was? ;)"

hahaha I mean like nobody was going to use it in Hollywood, Like, on a film like FOCUS : ))

[Andrew Kimery] "I would be surprised though if no one in your area is using Resolve 11 "

I don't know if they are or not. At least I haven't seen anybody using it at any stations I work at or production houses I have been in.

All I see is AVID, Pr, and X and people grade in those.

The other thing I see and hear, are people complaining about bad footage.

They don't say "great! an opportunity for me to grade" More like "Who shot this mess"

I love to grade myself, but I hear editors complain all the time about how something was shot poorly.

"so and so didn't white balance the camera" "so and so overexposed this or that"

If you don't bring in footage that looks near perfect your work is shunned by most editors around here.

I actually had an editor say to me just the other day "what I like about what you shoot is that I don't have to do anything to it"

What I see are editors that want to cut their spots fast and get them on the air and get out the door so they can double dip for another client that same day.

They are looking to get 2 paychecks in one day instead of sitting there grading for one.

I certainly don't hear anybody saying they are gong to give up what they love to cut on so they can grade more.

That's honestly what I see, and I know that's not unique to this area.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 5, 2015 at 5:50:13 am

[Tony West] "If you don't bring in footage that looks near perfect your work is shunned by most editors around here."

I like to grade too, but I don't like it when most of my grading time is spent fixing someone being lazy (or just horrible) in production. The bane of my existence (more as an editor than a colorist) is footage that meanders pointlessly all over the place like someone just strapped the camera onto the head of Jack Russell Terrier. I used to shoot (mainly live sports) so I feel completely justified in colorfully critiquing the footage that comes across my desk. ;)

[Tony West] "I certainly don't hear anybody saying they are gong to give up what they love to cut on so they can grade more.

That's honestly what I see, and I know that's not unique to this area."

Yeah, I see BM trying to expand their footprint in places that already work with Resolve in some capacity as opposed to trying to win over new converts (at least for now). To a degree it's similar to how Adobe Trojan Horsed PPro with AE & PS. When contemplating a new NLE I'm sure many people fired up PPro in part because it was already installed w/the rest of the Adobe apps.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Aug 5, 2015 at 2:24:51 pm

[Andrew Kimery] " footage that meanders pointlessly all over the place like someone just strapped the camera onto the head of Jack Russell Terrier."

hahahaha love it : )

[Andrew Kimery] "I see BM trying to expand their footprint in places that already work with Resolve in some capacity"

Totally agree

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Aug 5, 2015 at 6:04:30 pm

[Tony West] "Remember how the rub on X was that nobody was using it in the industry?

There were no job postings for it so what was the point?

Well, nobody in my town is using R12. Heck, not only is nobody using it, but nobody is even talking about it.
"

The difference being R11 is very much so deeply integrated in the post production workflow in LA at least...for coloring. Its main focus. Still alot TBD for its editing capabilities.

Focus came and went - I still dont ever see Job Postings for X in LA. What happened to the storm that was coming that Bill Davis was talking about? The I need a FCPX Editor Facebook group is crickets for the most part.

Oh actually saw one this week. Was 200 a day for broadcast level work. hmmm a little underpaid no?

Not dissing X at all, i like it for somethings I do but at least here in LA - we aint using it yet.

Return to posts index

Tony West
on Aug 5, 2015 at 7:00:26 pm

[Neil Goodman] "The difference being R11 is very much so deeply integrated in the post production workflow in LA at least...for coloring. Its main focus. Still alot TBD for its editing capabilities. "

Are there a lot of job postings for people to edit with R11 outside LA?

I'm asking, I don't know.

I know more people around here using X than R11

I don't know of anybody looking to pay somebody to cut something on R11 around here.

That's not to say that people shouldn't cut with it if they like it. Same as any other NLE

I don't really pay much attention to job postings.

I get all my work from referrals. Seems for folks that have been in the game for a while, they do the same and get their rate.

The folks that did FOCUS said they will do their next film on X

That will come and go also like other films do.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Aug 5, 2015 at 9:34:35 pm
Last Edited By Neil Goodman on Aug 5, 2015 at 9:34:58 pm

[Tony West] "Are there a lot of job postings for people to edit with R11 outside LA?"

For editorial, no.

I said for colorists R11 is deeply integrated into the LA post scene. R12 will be no different.

Will people start using it exclusively for editorial - probably not at big shops/networks for the same reason why X isnt, because its not a tried and tested bullitt proof system - YET. One man bands - probably.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 5, 2015 at 9:47:21 pm

[Neil Goodman] "For editorial, no.
I said for colorists R11 is deeply integrated into the LA post scene. R12 will be no different."

Agreed. Up until R12, Resolve wasn't remotely viable for editing, except for tweaking a largely locked cut. However, I have seen at least one write-up of a producer who claims to have cut his indie film with it.

That could change with R12, but I think it will still be in the area of finishing, rather than creative cutting. If you really like X, R12 makes great secondary NLE for times when its features are what you need.

But, as a color correction tool, DaVinci going back 4 decades has been the dominant product for color correction - first in film transfers and then later in tape-to-tape and not file-based correction. That's true all over the US and in much of the rest of the world.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 5, 2015 at 10:16:04 pm

[Oliver Peters] "However, I have seen at least one write-up of a producer who claims to have cut his indie film with it."

I'm sure someone has completed a marathon in high heels but that doesn't make high heels appropriate (let alone the best) tools for the job. ;)

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Aug 5, 2015 at 10:38:08 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I'm sure someone has completed a marathon in high heels but that doesn't make high heels appropriate (let alone the best) tools for the job. ;)"

The shoe simile I use is "You can drive a nail with a shoe, but it's not ideal. And if you ever need to take a nail out, it's impossible."

Shoes. The new cars. LOL

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 5, 2015 at 11:46:48 pm

Be sure to remove the pebbles from said shoes unless you enjoy walking around on all flats.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 5, 2015 at 11:58:10 pm

[David Mathis] "Be sure to remove the pebbles from said shoes unless you enjoy walking around on all flats."

The pebbles keep you alert, they are feature not a bug. ;)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 7, 2015 at 12:18:28 am
Last Edited By Michael Gissing on Aug 7, 2015 at 2:38:16 am

Blackmagic have called their underbaked NLE beta and that bu fixes and improvements have happened within a week. Apple would have copped far less flack if they had also been that honest and responsive.

What will matter is how long it will take Blackmagic to develop the NLE side. From 11 to 12 there have been major strides in just one year.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]