FORUMS: list search recent posts

a wishlist for FCPx

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Scott
a wishlist for FCPx
on Apr 22, 2011 at 11:46:39 am

thought this probably the time to be making big list of things which work on fcp7, that dont and that would be nice to have

Features to keep
Mackie MIDI controllers
colour control surface support
export OMF/XML/AAF/EDL/user settings
working media manager (since version 7)
colour coded customisable interface (markers/bins/sequences)
cinema tools support
Motion software needs to be kept, reimplemented with the same but more features
copy/paste attributes
remove attributes

features to improve, take from other software
Set audio frame delay for HD down convert on kona card
shared projects (fcp server style)
archiving to standard formats (MXF, JPEG2000, DCP, AAF, XML)
smart bins and metadata like implemention in Aperture
template based editing (imovie 2011, Predit softwares)
avid script synch style storyboarding
getphonetics auto searching of audio
VTR emulation mode (like avid)
improved scaling and dealing with anti aliasing from DSLR and RED cameras
after effects style realtime implementation of RAW formats using graphics card acceleration
proper useful external monitoring of title safe e.g. 14.9 (think filter called andys guides)
template based QC (think vidcheck software)
loudness monitoring and fixing (eyeheight karma plugin)
PPM audio metering (like PPMulator)
send to/export to AAF avid (automatic duck)
behaviour based animation (motion)
field based stepping (avid)
snap to tail of clip (avid)
noise tools like After effects (grain management)
noise removal like Foundary plugins
rolling shutter fixes like Foundary
support for ofx platform of filters
naming and colouring of tracks
planar tracking or full support for external tracking software like MochaPro
importing of external mattes in grading Software (Color doesnt have and this really is a let down)
proper keyer like keylight built in or Conduit plugin
nodal compositing when needed (nuke style)
half decent roto tools (mochapro)
3d stereoscopic tools
auto grouping of clips based on timecode for grading automation (davinci resolve)
z depth mattes (nuke)
lens distortion support (mochapro)
export to video formats (DPX, FLV, MXF, WebM, JEPG2000, MPEG2 better quality, MPEG 4 better quality and faster)
podcasts supporting location metadata for things like tours (see aperture and its functions)
import of standard video metadata (MXF P2, excel sheets, R3d floating colour science, GPS, loggin apps, AAF)
proper subtitling solution (see annotation edit)
keyword visualisations like Delicious website
dead pixel removal (see DH_revival)
BWAV output

features which aren’t working in current fcp7 in my opinion
Edit to tape
markers when capturing
key framing in the time line
“share to” is flaky as is compressor in general
management of files not included with scratch disk e.g. audio (see digital heaven plug-in loader)
subtitle workflows
keyers
speed change interpolation type (see how motion does it)
keyframing (copy/paste keyframes and interpolation)
mixed sample rate audio and frame rate audio not to click or drift in FCP
remove effects/report effects throughout a sequence so enabling easy onlining of material

Priorities for keeping broadcast industry interested properly
Proper management of user settings
hugely customisable workspaces
integration with broadcast equipment e.g. broadcast servers, video decks
improved capture and output to tape (look to avid its works for that function)
project based easy setup and scratch disks
scopes and generators which work to PAL based standards
automation using apple script/automator
proper useful external monitoring of title safe e.g. 14.9 (think filter called andys guides)
template based QC (think vidcheck software)
loudness monitoring and fixing (eyeheight karma plugin)
PPM audio metering (like PPMulator)
send to/export to AAF avid (automatic duck)
import of standard video metadata (MXF P2, excel sheets, R3d floating colour science, GPS, loggin apps, AAF)
reconform tools highly customisable and reliable

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
Re: a wishlist for FCPx
on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:49:04 pm

Which i never hear. Proper support for AudioUnit Plugins.
With proper visual looking interfaces of those plugins instead of just sliders.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:55:59 pm

Since they've been working on FCPX for at least 2 years and it's about to be released - don't you think your a little too late with this list?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 22, 2011 at 4:29:09 pm

Not at all Herb, features are routinely locked long before the beta stage ... but releases eventually have updates and its exactly this kind of codified list that can help drive whats in the next beta. Good job Ben.

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:33:23 pm

The very fact that Apple hasn't made posted anything on their website or made an official announcement other than the Super Meet tells me that they are not completely done with it.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:43:56 pm

Yes, and it also tells me that they have their hands full with implementing what's on the wish list they compiled more than a year ago. Why don't we wait and see what it is before we start deciding how it needs to be improved.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Apr 22, 2011 at 8:41:40 pm

Andy -

This is a perfectly fine wish list for the release of FCP ver 8 that will never come. However I would suggest Ben actually install FCPX and use it once or twice before he starts compiling wish lists for FCPX 1.1. What's that line about jumping the starting gun ...

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 23, 2011 at 3:42:28 am

You must be a lot of fun at parties Herb ... you do realize this is the rampant speculation forum right? ;-)

Return to posts index

Ben Scott
on Apr 25, 2011 at 12:27:25 pm

will be the first to try the new FCPx out, I have to learn it quickly so I can train with it.

what I have listed in this wishlist is what I see as necessary for a product moving forward
If and when these features are implemented is important as getting this new final cut pro to be accepted as not some type of imovie, but instead the product it sounds like it actually is, could be problem.

I need to sell this product to people as much as anyone and if it looks silly it wont be good, I however am not one of the sceptics on the forums, I believe it will be a really great improvement on FCP7.

I cannot see the problems many others are making out from the very sneek preview. In fact I cant see much at the moment because I havent actually used the tool.

Adding a wishlist for software when Apple are clearly putting out feelers for what the appetite is at the moment in the editing community is probably a good thing and I suggest others put sensible wishlists to see if they listen. If they actually paid any attention up until now is another matter, the apple evaluations page to me seems very anonymous and feels a bit like helping by shouting over a wall with no reply.

That FCP7 was a real let down is an understatement, it just fixed things that werent working and should have been fixed long ago. FCP has really only had 3 major developments in my opinion, VS1 and the fact it was made, vs3 where the software worked well with DV decks and introduced colour correction and later developments with XML support and FXplug. We have been waiting quite a long time for this version of final cut pro that actually properly uses the OS, lets hope all the things which work well are kept and that we see some essential new features introduced.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Apr 23, 2011 at 11:00:55 am

Great list, Ben, seriously! Hope you get even half of what you wish for.

For me, though, there's only one thing it has to have and that's fast and effective way of editing from one sequence into another - absurdly, from the point of the way I need to edit, without that functionality I won't be able to use FCPX for work purposes at all, though I will like everybody else be jumping at the chance to have a play with it. Unless or until it come with that functionality, it will stay a shiny plaything for me.

I'm sceptical about getting this because FCP currently doesn't really think this is a necessary editing function, witness the fact that the default edit behaviour when cutting from one sequence to another is to nest which is daft and pointless and very annoying (yes, I've remapped the keyboard and I know about using the Command key, but still I think it shows they don't really understand this aspect of editing.) In consequence, I now work with multiple sequence tabs and copy and paste from one to another and it works fine, although i could wish it to be better. I have a concern that it doesn't appear to be possible to have multiple tabbed sequences in FCPX or that this issue will be addressed at all in the 1.0 release.

Of course, all this might be fixed using the magic but currently invisible "Revert to Classic Mode" button that I read so much about on this forum ;-)

Simon Ubsdell
Director/Editor/Writer
http://www.tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 23, 2011 at 11:11:34 am

[Simon Ubsdell] " I have a concern that it doesn't appear to be possible to have multiple tabbed sequences in FCPX "

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Apr 23, 2011 at 2:44:05 pm

Visually being able to have multiple sequences open at the same time is quite vital in my book. A lot of people have noted this.

Also, multiple viewers can be vital to many workflows. I sure hope Apple hasn't forgotten this aspect of FCP.

I do like the "depth" of the new timeline. That can help alot in a lot of situations. This won't solve the basic need of seeing multiple timelines however I don't think.

Great list though. I could add quite a few points there :-)

------------------------
Erik Lindahl
Freecloud Post Production Services
http://www.freecloud.se

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 23, 2011 at 8:54:29 pm

Andy, those arrows tell Bruce the Yak which way to enter the screen from.
The camera icon is the direct input from the iSight/FaceTime webcam.
The stars to the right of that connects with Facebook's like button.
The key unlocks new levels when you complete your first edit on time and on budget.
The next one is the white flag on the computer which is "I quit"
Andy the Cheshire cat is grinning at you. ;-)

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 24, 2011 at 2:26:33 am

[Craig Seeman] "The key unlocks new levels when you complete your first edit on time and on budget."

Ha! I'll be stuck for ever on level 1 then.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:23:32 pm

Hmm, the document icon there, apparently being used in association with a sequence, is extremely interesting. Combine that with the way the Event Library looks:

Notice the Event Library is rooted on the storage device, with no reference to a specific project file (there's "Audi", but the icon makes me think that's just a collection of footage), and the the Event Library doesn't list any sequences mixed in with the clips.

Right now the primary "documents" Final Cut Pro works with are project files, i.e. collections of sequences and media. From what I can make out, this is no longer true in FCP X. Rather, sequences are now stand-alone documents (and I think Andy has in fact identified the control for switching between multiple open sequences), your footage lives in a unified library, and projects are no more.

This strikes me as very flexible approach, but cue the hate in 3...2...1...

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read What is FCP X’s relationship to iMovie? on our blog.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:42:37 pm

[Chris Kenny] "This strikes me as very flexible approach"

Think of were this leads to. You can keyword search for a type of B-Roll content which may be part of another thing you're working on. Of course this would work best of all your sources remained online . . . or proxies of them did at least. And all this might lead one to think there might be some server management system if this were to be truly valuable. I can't help but think something like an FCS Server may still be in the mix someway, somehow.

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Apr 23, 2011 at 10:48:01 pm

[Chris Kenny] "...the Event Library is rooted on the storage device, with no reference to a specific project file..."
Hi
As is all the organised metadata.
Does everything - media management, clip timecode and metadata - all get handled at a global (total) level by the OS rather than the application?

(Which sort of is the current FC Server's methodology, as I understand it).

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 24, 2011 at 4:04:26 pm

[Chris Kenny] "(there's "Audi", but the icon makes me think that's just a collection of footage)"

What you are calling "a collection of footage" is what Apple calls an "Event" (hence the Event Library) ... this same Event icon is used in iMovie '11.

Question: Whats that little icon up in top left of the filmstrip for the above selected shot (Phantom Ahead) ? It's not shown on all clips and the icon in the detail view is similar and also reflects the same disparity (not the same as the other "clips" in that list).

It looks a bit like a clip with attached audio as seen in the timeline ... I'm thinking it may denote a clip that has linked second sound audio via FCP X's pluralise type thang (or perhaps some other form of "Merged" clip).

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Apr 24, 2011 at 4:15:20 pm

[Andy Mees] "Question: Whats that little icon up in top left of the filmstrip for the above selected shot (Phantom Ahead) ? It's not shown on all clips and the icon in the detail view is similar and also reflects the same disparity (not the same as the other "clips" in that list). "

Interesting question. This exercise really makes you realize the extent to which figuring out an interface is an interactive process, difficult to do from static screen shots.

It seems timeline-related. Perhaps it indicates a clip in use in the current sequence?

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read Does FCP X make project files obsolete? on our blog.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]