FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX to Resolve with RAW footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
FCPX to Resolve with RAW footage
on Jul 21, 2015 at 9:33:34 pm

Hey all -

Just finished a 48 Hour Film Project gig. For an unknown reason, the director/DP/colorist wanted to shoot RAW on some BMD camera. Having a history in these competitions, I knew this would add more time, but she wanted to shoot and color that way. So, we made proxies to ProRes LT through Resolve and sent them to me to sync and cut. After a few computer problems at the host facility, I started logging and syncing. Cut through the night and gave her an FCPXML at about 10am on Sunday. Here's where it gets interesting.

The XML to Resolve worked well, (everything came across nicely) but with one big oddity. If I changed any of the names of the clips in FCPX (not at the finder level), Resolve will still relink but not see the clip as a RAW clip and have all the handles on the metadata you get on a RAW clip. It wasn't as if I broke the link, just made Resolve not look at it as RAW. Has anyone seen this? Resolve 11.

We submitted our cut with 30 minutes to spare...

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FCPX to Resolve with RAW footage
on Jul 21, 2015 at 9:40:04 pm

Are you sure that it's really linked to the raw files and not the transcoded files? The colorist needs to make sure that ONLY the raw files are in the Resolve media pool. Is it a raw format that Resolve understands as raw?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 21, 2015 at 9:41:39 pm

PS: BMD cameras only shoot raw as CinemaDNG image sequence files. Is that what you have? If it's a movie file from the camera, it's not camera raw.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 21, 2015 at 9:56:36 pm

Yes, it was DNG files and I misspoke, we transcoded to proRes proxy, so there was no mistaking it. It just seemed that anything I changed, and it was not much, lost the metadata handles. Very odd.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 21, 2015 at 10:24:09 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "It just seemed that anything I changed, and it was not much, lost the metadata handles. Very odd."

I'm not sure that's possible. Did the colorist make sure that NONE of the transcoded files show up in the Media Pool? Does the Resolve timeline show the original media name or the altered name you gave it? OTOH, the FCPXML roundtrip between X and Resolve is a mess.

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2015/06/13/the-fcp-x-red-resolve-dance-i...

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 21, 2015 at 10:29:14 pm

Possible or not, it happened. The ProRes proxies would have been very easy to spot. Bug? Who knows? But we ended up doing a quick color balance and then a ProRes HQ output back to me and I tweaked colors on entire scenes for the final (hey, it's a 48 hour thing. Do what it takes!). I switched back and forth between my proxy cut and the HQ and it was extremely obvious. Very strange. When I get done with this AE gig I have going, I am going to try it again with the same footage and see if I can replicate.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 21, 2015 at 10:35:42 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "The ProRes proxies would have been very easy to spot."

Not a given at all. Especially without burn-in. Depends on their monitor and the lighting in the shot.

[Scott Witthaus] " I switched back and forth between my proxy cut and the HQ and it was extremely obvious."

Only because it's been color corrected. Not necessarily because of the format.

But you haven't answered the original questions. Did the colorist confirm that the ProRes files were NOT in the media pool? Plus what did the colorist's timeline say for clip names?

I'm trying to eliminate operator error. For example, if they imported the clips automatically based on the FCPXML, Resolve could have linked to the wrong files. The current, correct procedure is to load the Media Pool FIRST and then import the FCPXML without enabling automatic import of clips.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 22, 2015 at 1:15:35 am

Trust me Oliver, I could spot the difference using the same monitor, switching back and forth on the same shot. Pretty obvious. The colorist confirmed that there were no ProRes files in the media pool. However, I have all the material and will do a test soon.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 22, 2015 at 1:33:14 am

[Scott Witthaus] "The colorist confirmed that there were no ProRes files in the media pool. However, I have all the material and will do a test soon."

OK, thanks. It will be interesting to see what you find. I guess I'll stick with my old axiom - never change master clip names except in Media Composer.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 22, 2015 at 1:34:52 am

[Oliver Peters] " never change master clip names except in Media Composer."

I am with you on that! This is just a very weird thing. I will let you know.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 22, 2015 at 4:50:40 am
Last Edited By David Mathis on Jul 22, 2015 at 5:03:30 am

Is the box for "Automatically import source clips into media pool" selected? If so, this might be why Resolve is linking the proxies and not the RAW files.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 22, 2015 at 3:19:11 pm

FWIW - I ran a quick test with the "Afterglow" CinemaDNG clips that BMD has had on the web. I wasn't able to reproduce the raw issue. Changing the names on the ProRes Proxy files in FCP X did not affect whether or not I could access raw controls

I hit a different issue, though. I used the roundtrip back into FCP X and there, some of the files showed black in the project timeline. If you match-framed the timeline clip, then a normal and visible clip showed up in the browser, but it didn't update to show video in the timeline. There it was still black.

These black clips didn't correspond to those that were renamed. As I've found out before, the FCPX/Resolve roundtrip (when actually going back) is pretty messed up.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 22, 2015 at 3:49:21 pm

I hope this is fixed in the new version due out soon, whatever that means. Should the new version hold up to its promise I might start doing an entire project in Resolve. Of course I still like the Motion workflow for custom lower thirds, titles, and transitions. Doubt we will see anything like that from Fusion, would be a nice feature to have. Resolve tempts me, teases me and sometimes likes to torture me. ;-)

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 23, 2015 at 2:35:04 am

I had advised Scott on the Resolve forum to make sure the ProRes proxies were no where near the Resolve machine and to import with the option to relink to camera originals so I am sure there was no issue there.

I have no idea why the RAW settings were then greyed but if X somehow set a different metadata flag during the renaming, then perhaps Resolve didn't automatically recognise them as DNG files. It might have been fixable by seeing if on the RAW panel in Resolve, the correct camera was selected. It might have defaulted to Alexa or RED and needed manually changing. The other thing is on the Media page, checking that the clips were forced to data not auto where it may have incorrectly interpreted as Rec 709.

So Scott, if the grader can check those settings you might find the culprit. My best guess is the flagging on the files was not defaulting to data and auto was making it video levels which may have locked out the RAW settings option.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 23, 2015 at 12:22:45 pm

[Michael Gissing] "The other thing is on the Media page, checking that the clips were forced to data not auto where it may have incorrectly interpreted as Rec 709."

That is a good clue. Again, it was during a 48 Hour Project so we were all sleepless and rushing. Thanks Michael (I sent the colorist a link to your advice on the Resolve page, so I assume all the steps were followed.).

sw

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 23, 2015 at 12:38:08 pm

I've run into roundtrip issues when moving between different machines. These didn't occur when both apps were being used on the same machine. However, this mainly affects the return trip using FCPXML from Resolve into FCPX. Nevertheless, it could be a factor here.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 23, 2015 at 12:39:33 pm

And Resolve was on a different machine.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial