FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone using Frame.io to collaborate remotely?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Rofrano
Anyone using Frame.io to collaborate remotely?
on Jul 2, 2015 at 12:59:35 pm

When I opened the Mac App Store I saw Frame.io being featured with the caption "Cloud Collaboration and Review for Final Cut Pro X" so I took a look at their web site and it seems like a really nice tool for collaboration with other editors via the cloud. I've often worked with remote editors where we FedEx a hard drive to each other to establish the content and then email project files as we edit along with using DropBox for bigger files that we create along the way. Frame.io seems way more sophisticated and somehow stores original files for rendering while using proxy files for collaborating. The App seems to install a Share extension so that you can share files right from within FCP X. According to the web site they originally built it for themselves to collaborate and then decided to offer it as a service so it seems to be purpose built for what we do by people who understand the workflow.

I haven't tried it yet so I was wondering... Has anyone used this? (it's free to try) and if so, what are your thoughts?

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
Re: Anyone using Frame.io to collaborate remotely?
on Jul 2, 2015 at 2:21:17 pm

Since the FCPX plug-in was unveiled I'm just about ready to test with a current web series shoot.

I am hoping it goes well but the cost is a bit compared to my 1TB Dropbox account.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 2, 2015 at 8:24:34 pm

There's info about it here, too.

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1686-frame-io-releases-a-standalon...

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

John Rofrano
on Jul 2, 2015 at 11:52:58 pm

Looks pretty good from that article and lots of positive replies. The prices aren't too bad either considering the time savings.

Just another reason to get off of FCP 7 and on to FCP X! (Oooo... did I just start a debate?) LOL ;-)

~jr

http://www.johnrofrano.com
http://www.vasst.com

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 3, 2015 at 12:48:19 am

[John Rofrano] "I haven't tried it yet so I was wondering... Has anyone used this? (it's free to try) and if so, what are your thoughts?"

We've been using frame.io for a little while now. I am of two minds about the service at the moment.

On the plus side, the web interface is simply stunning. Hover scrub in a browser! Drawing directly on frames and entering notes! The performance and responsiveness of the web app and playback is phenomenal. The design is great. It's easy to use and stuff just works.

On the down side, it's Yet Another System to work with. Clients have to create accounts and login for review. It's not enough of a file sharing system or project management system to replace things like Dropbox and Teamwork, so we have to use it side-by-side with other similar services, leading to a bit of confusion about what's where when.

That said, I have a lot of confidence in the team and I like the direction they're taking. It's not perfect, but it's really good and I think it will only get better.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 3, 2015 at 2:42:59 am

[Walter Soyka] "On the plus side, the web interface is simply stunning. ...
On the down side, it's Yet Another System to work with.... "

That's the trouble with all of this. I've gone through it with Xprove and direct outgoing links from FC Server and Axle. You only have 1 or 2 clients who get it and like it. For the rest, all the other file delivery systems are just more in-sync with how they use computers and the internet.

Services like Frame, Wipster, Kollaborate, etc. seem to be best for a production team/workgroup that has to work interactively from different locations. In that sense, it's nice. For "civilians" (outside clients) - less so.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 4, 2015 at 3:22:00 pm

We're trying it out with our group. I really like the side-by-side version play view. Also like being able to make notes on specific frames. I kind of wish it it worked on a local network because then it would be a perfect shared resources manager for full-res clips. Much better organization than Vimeo, but no embedding options. Also no mobile app, however the website works pretty well across devices.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jul 4, 2015 at 4:21:51 pm

After a few days current project/client has been smooth to deal with.

I think for now this would only work well with the end owner in this case the Director.

She liked the Dropbox option but found it cumbersome compared to Frame.io.

I dont want to break the bank and start using with other clients.

Only downside from FCPX is that I have to convert a 4K timeline to HD2 to avoid the high bandwidth cost.

Love the notes option.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 23, 2015 at 1:11:28 am

Just a little update. We're having lots of fun using Frame.io as we trust it more with projects. One downside was there's no custom URL embedding option, but we've found a way around that by building our own short code generator called 'yourls'. Now, we copy the share link created by Frame, paste it into our yourls generator, add any keywords we want, and poof, there's our custom domain name link that goes to to the frame.io page.

100% the easiest solution and if you share a folder, anything you add to that folder will automatically update to the page. This is nice if you're adding things over time, like props or set pieces that the group is considering. Also, links are permanent like in box. If you share something, the link to it will stick if you put it in a folder later.

LOVE the markup options and comments on cuts. Much less confusion now on notes.

Frame.io is like the chalkboard in class. Vimeo is the school paper. Box is the library. There's a use for them all.

I do hope they come up with an iPhone app. Mobile is a little weak.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]