FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X in Shared Storage Environment - XSAN, etc

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brandon Kuchta
FCP X in Shared Storage Environment - XSAN, etc
on Jul 1, 2011 at 6:17:04 pm

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the fact FCP X can't access projects on any type of shared storage. No XSAN, no network volumes. This combined with a project model that doesn't allow for organizing files by client and job means I can't even think about adopting FCP X regardless of any other features they add. Looks like the only option is to go back to "sneakernet" with separate drives for each project that can't be worked on at the same time. This seems like it'd be a big issue. Or are less people working in collaborative environments than I think?

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
Re: FCP X in Shared Storage Environment - XSAN, etc
on Jul 1, 2011 at 7:01:05 pm

Look around, there are several post on this. Especially from the educational market that uses this particular feature to distribute curriculum. It's a HUGE problem.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jul 1, 2011 at 7:04:32 pm

Here's one to get you started;

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/8134

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 1, 2011 at 7:14:40 pm

We are very much shared here on 5 FCP systems. Shared files on every computer all gigabit ethernet....major issue here.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Jul 1, 2011 at 7:24:59 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "We are very much shared here on 5 FCP systems. Shared files on every computer all gigabit ethernet....major issue here."

Final Cut Pro X?

Also I don't know much about Xsan but there is a simple code fix that allows FCPX to see Xsan volumes. If you search for it I'm sure you will find it.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 1, 2011 at 7:36:51 pm

[Devin Crane]I don't know much about Xsan but there is a simple code fix that allows FCPX to see Xsan volumes. If you search for it I'm sure you will find it.

If you don't know much about it, and you don't even know where to link to for the "simple code fix," then how do we know it even actually exists?

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Jul 1, 2011 at 8:09:02 pm

Sorry, too many posts to remember, just read how someone did it on the cow just a couple of days ago and was able to get FCPX to see Xsan with a simple command change. Regardless, there will be a fix for it to come.

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jul 1, 2011 at 8:19:47 pm

Hi
Ben Holmes"I hear on the COW FCPX projects won't be read on an ethernet SAN?
Not true - it took my SAN vendor about 5 minutes and a couple of lines of code to get this working". OH - OK.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/7278

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 1, 2011 at 8:34:38 pm

[Brandon Kuchta] "I'm surprised more people aren't talking about the fact FCP X can't access projects on any type of shared storage. No XSAN, no network volumes. This combined with a project model that doesn't allow for organizing files by client and job means I can't even think about adopting FCP X regardless of any other features they add. Looks like the only option is to go back to "sneakernet" with separate drives for each project that can't be worked on at the same time. This seems like it'd be a big issue. Or are less people working in collaborative environments than I think?"

Project and Event folders aren't enabled for shared storage (yet) for good reason- multiple users would collide and potentially overwrite each other's data or not be able to write data at all. I do hope something is coming from Apple or a third party that will enable shared Events and Projects. That would be killer.

HOWEVER

Media can be stored on shared storage and linked to an Event for editing in place, and you'll want to uncheck the box in FCPX's Import preferences for "Copy files to Final Cut Events folder or it will try to copy it in. You'll also want to turn of automatic transcoding. Ingest for this scenario pretty much needs to be handled outside FCPX, though. That does suck, but in a shared setting stand-alone ingest isn't that unusual. Not ideal though.

ALSO

You can absolutely organize your projects. Make folders.

Xsan is included in Lion now. Maybe something more is coming...

Return to posts index

Brandon Kuchta
on Jul 1, 2011 at 10:32:19 pm

You can create folders within FCP X, but that doesn't help it integrate with the rest of our server, which is organized by Client->Campaign->Execution. Currently, our Final Cut projects are just one folder that lives in a job with other folders for After Effetcs, Nuke, Maya, Color, etc. I'm having trouble seeing how FCP X's approach to organization fits into this (fairly common) workflow. From what I can tell, all projects have to live together in the "Final Cut Projects" directory at the root level of the drive.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Jul 2, 2011 at 12:31:12 am

Clearly "X" and X-SAN are currently NOT talking to each other. You'll have to wait and see if this is addressed in the next release... whenever that may be.

Mark

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jul 2, 2011 at 3:10:20 am

[Brandon Kuchta] "I'm having trouble seeing how FCP X's approach to organization fits into this (fairly common) workflow. From what I can tell, all projects have to live together in the "Final Cut Projects" directory at the root level of the drive."

This is true for projects you want to open. I could argue that even on FCP7, best practice would be to edit from a local project file and copy to the server a few times a day rather than opening them in place, but I know a lot of places just open in place. That used to be a big technical problem depending on the way your connection protocol, but in latter versions of FCP it really wasn't.

I could also argue you can copy your projects in and out of your existing file structure, but that is also kind of wonky if you are used to opening your projects in place on the server.

Bear in mind the Events and Movies folder-at-root concept is there to make the FAR more common sneakernet approach to sharing something editors can very easily deal with by duplicating Projects and/or Events from within the FCPX interface. You plug in a drive, you drag your Project onto it in the Project Library, and FCPX gives you very straightforward options for placing exactly what you want on the drive. The next editor plugs in the drive, it shows up in FCPX, and they can open and edit with all media, renders, and organization in place. This is good stuff, just not what we want to see for SAN situations. Like so many other aspects of 10.0, Apple tackled the most common use cases first and lest the more niche stuff for later.

Certainly the ideal would be for some kind Event and Project sharing support to be implemented, but it isn't clear how that could be done yet. I'm certainly keeping my fingers crossed. I think multiple users being able to tag the contents of the same Event simultaneously would open up some seriously powerful workflows. I would also love a shared Project Library with per-user-locking for open projects just like Avid Unity has had for years.

Best,
Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]